Fury - Wilder thread

Associate
I'd urge everyone that is on the fence about Fury to listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast where he talks about his addiction, weight gain and motivation. It was recorded on the run up to the Wilder fight, so there's some good insight in to his training regime which will surprise a lot of people too.

Before I heard that I thought he was an arrogant arse who deserved to be sparked out but he came across very articulate and I fully understood his reasons for doing what he did/does. It's probably the most honest interview I've heard from a top sports person that isn't ego-driven... in fact, it's incredibly humbling and he certainly has a lot of humility.

tl:dr... he achieved what he wanted (by beating Vladimir) so then lost the desire to fight, gained weight, got hooked on coke and spent his money.

He did a good interview for the breakfast club too

Soldato
I think this illustrates my opinion of a fight properly. I expect many haven't seen fights like this to compare for a while or are just to young. The heavyweight division has not been as strong as this since Lewis.

Fury wouldn't last 3 rounds with the likes of 90s heavyweights. Try scoring this compared to love tap fury.

Soldato
I've just got round to watching the highlights of the fight....how the **** did the first judge score that fight 115-111 for Wilder. now I'm no fan of fury but that was borderline criminal. it's a crying shame fury hasn't got a punch worth talking about because like him or loathe him he can box.
that said it's a sad indictment of the heavyweight boxing division that wilder even holds a belt and that fury is challenging to reclaim a belt. as mentioned above neither would last 3 rounds against a good quality true heavyweight.

Permabanned
With reasonable generosity I can come up with a draw, just barely, but never a Wilder win, whereas I can see Fury taking it. But as I said earlier in here, I don't think it was a robbery, just a "gift" that the location (US) accounts for - so if it was in Britain and Wilder was British and Fury was American, Wilder would likely still get such a gift. I don't give a damn what anyone says otherwise: ALL countries' boxing organisations are corrupt/biased and NO country can get on a high horse and claim clear purity over any other country, although I'd say Germany is generally the relatively worst during my time as a boxing fan (I've been following boxing since around 2000) while US and Britain trade blows. To be fair, I haven't followed the low weights (below light-weight) so I don't know about Japan, Thailand, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's no bigger Tyson fan than me, but Tyson Fury is 6'9 and Mike Tyson is 5'10. I'm pretty sure he'd do alright.
No he wouldn’t have done alright. He’d have been on his arse in the first few rounds. Fury’s obvious lack of punching power meant mike Tyson would have simply walked through his guard - as he demonstrably did with numerous harder hitting opponents during the height of his career.

Permabanned
Prime Mike (in the late 80s) should definitely be the favourite to beat any version of Fury. The size difference and evasiveness of Fury would probably win him a few rounds, but Fury mainly doesn't have the power as said - actually he has very poor power for a man his size. Mike's bobbing/weaving in his prime was designed for and was extremely effective against taller opponents, some as tall as 6'5" (which is why I think the even taller Fury would take a few rounds based partly on that). Also, Cunningham, a blown-up cruiser who never had much power at cruiserweight let alone heavyweight, put Fury on his arse - Mike could definitely do it multiple times. Fury could theoretically "win" if he intentionally stunk the place out by boxing extremely negatively, but then again I don't consider that "winning".

Back
Top Bottom