Doctor Who

Soldato
Bad Wolf could barely be described as a story arc, it was a series of one off episodes with a few easter eggs tying it into the final episode. A story arc has to have a story that arc over multiple episodes. Doctor Who the story was all in the final episode.

Er.....wut? The whole season was leading to the finale. However, i get your point, a few 2 or 3 story parters would be good too.

Caporegime
Er.....wut? The whole season was leading to the finale. However, i get your point, a few 2 or 3 story parters would be good too.

I mean it wasn't really, if you take off the Bad Wolf episode itself there is no story at all. That's not a story arc, it's a single episode story with a few teasers leading up to it. A story arc is something like GoT or Buffy where the story is told over multiple episodes.

Soldato
Jodie is pulling in literally millions more viewers with the least watched episodes from season 11 being right up there with the most watched episodes from season 10.

“Doctor Who’s” eleventh season has also cracked the Top 15 cable drama list in the women 18-34 demo, with the viewership in that group doubling since Capaldi’s farewell installment.
Journalist Robin Parker tweeted: ‘More girls than boys (under-16s) watched Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor Who debut – 378,000 v 339,000. Last year’s series opener: 143,000 girls / 390,000 boys.’

but, per earlier post, look who the viewers are ..I suppose the BBC doesn't care .. it's bums on seats for now. ... will they still watch it tomorrow long term fan base ?

Soldato
re : new years day
  • cringeworthy start - VS advert, he did not bring out the written-contract though, and they forgot to put the # before the metoo in the accompanyng subtitles ?
    but he soon forgot about any sensitive new man dialogue 'what about that drink?' after she was shocked by desk incident
    .... doomed to finish like all good friday13th relationships.
  • threat was scarey enough - cross between Segourneys' alien/medusa, or the possessed girl in the exorcist.
  • Didn't the men from uncle have these white board titles as they change geographic locations, plus you need to give the USA viewers a geography lesson.

Associate
Well I liked it, but I'm sure the usual "Doctor Who is dead" regulars will be along shortly to cry about SJWs ruining everything because in a 12 second scene the policeman had a boyfriend.

Associate
This is just so disappointing... the writing and direction is just awful at times...

Burying objects 10cm down
10 minutes of heartfelt chats reducing the pace to nothing.
Dalek built in a farm in a very short time (with flight capability)
Microwave oven as a plot device
I so hate the doctor using “mates”, it’s just too humanising. She isn’t human!

But Jodie does have some great moments when talking to the dalek, it’s just the supporting cast and writing that so let it down.

Some brilliant points, but overall probably 5/10 at best.

Caporegime
Since when were the organic form of Daleks that large? That one seemed abnormally large considering previous incarnations of them. And as usual none of the companions has ever heard of a Dalek..considering past history that's pretty unlikely.

OOh and they even shoehorned in a gay cop for a throwaway line about secure digits.

And one of those books had a picture of a captured Dalek yet still nobody is any the wiser to what they are...Do these series take past events into consideration or is it like a total memory wipe for people after every season?

Last edited:
Soldato
That Dalek has been on Earth for a very long time and is also reconisense class so maybe larger as it has more abilities.

Also the Earth and other things were reset during the 11th Doctor era so memories of past events would probably have been erased .

Man of Honour
Since when were the organic form of Daleks that large? That one seemed abnormally large considering previous incarnations of them. And as usual none of the companions has ever heard of a Dalek..considering past history that's pretty unlikely.

OOh and they even shoehorned in a gay cop for a throwaway line about secure digits.

And one of those books had a picture of a captured Dalek yet still nobody is any the wiser to what they are...Do these series take past events into consideration or is it like a total memory wipe for people after every season?

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

My view on the episode, acting was ok, good to see a dalek back in some form or other.

But the writing. My god the writing. It was awful, in fact it was beyond awful, it was quite literally of the standard of a secondary school GCSE students coursework for English. The cast could do a good job really but not with this standard of writing, its really doing them no favours at all.

Soldato
Couldn't agree more re. the standard of writing. It's like they've offloaded the writing to the work experience kids or something. And some of the plot was atrocious, a Dalek that somehow managed to forge a new functional fully armed and flight capable suit from a few knackered old pieces and some smelted iron in a few minutes at a tiny forge. How did it forge something so large in such a small forge? How did it cast it? How did it quench it?

You see, I was under the impression that the Doctor was President of Earth, so why wasn't that understood when she phoned whatever that laughable excuse for an intelligence agency was and informed them she's the Doctor and the World was under threat? Then there's the UNIT debacle. OK, just for a moment lets say that Earth's main defence force against alien threats is shut down due some financial problem, again President of the Earth!

That said, no matter how bad the episode, when the Dalek finds it's true voice it still makes me tingle.

Soldato
Well, I'm done.

Thank you Eccleston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi for bringing the Doctor to life in this modern era (even though you didn't 'always' have the best writing).
I had a lot of fun even through all the ups and downs.

Now to find something else to watch.
(Unsubbed from Thread :( )

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wasn't the worst episode this series but was largely crap as we have come to expect.

I'm really not a big fan of the "team doctor" idea where you feel that without her bumbling ensemble she wouldn't be able to fight her way out of a wet paper bag. Shes the doctor. The companions are to keep her/him honest and grounded and for someone to share the amazing and lonely experience of being a time lord. They aren't there to save the doctor and give her ideas all the time.

Oh well, hopefully the next season will go back to its roots a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom