ULEZ - Ultra low emission zones for central and inner London

Soldato
I wish they invested said revenue in cycling infrastructure. Banning cars or charging to enter is all fair play, especially in big cities with good public transport links but you gotta invest money in other things to balance it out. London is a terrible place to cycle and that's coming from someone who did it daily for a few years and covered 20k+ miles.

Soldato
I wish they invested said revenue in cycling infrastructure. Banning cars or charging to enter is all fair play, especially in big cities with good public transport links but you gotta invest money in other things to balance it out. London is a terrible place to cycle and that's coming from someone who did it daily for a few years and covered 20k+ miles.

TBH any public roads are a terrible place to cycle in modern times, they are way to busy and to dangerous. People cycling in all black clothing with no lights, at night don't help statistics though.

Soldato
OP
It isn't based on age (or a specific year) but emissions standards.
Last time I tested a bunch of cars pre 2000 and they all had to pay. Same petrol car post 2000 was fine and exempt.

The fact that an rx8 is exempt yet a pre 2000 1.25 fiesta isn't says it all.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd love to know how working parents drop their kids off at school using public transport, to then try and get to work ...using public transport all before the usual 9am start. *Shudder*

I'd have to take 3 buses to get to work from where I am. I'd have to get one in to the town center to the main hub, then 1 to a village about half way, then 1 more to get me in to where work. It would cost me 3x more and take far longer than just driving the 10 miles.

Outside of London public transport is laughable and probably the main reason for most of the suburban traffic.

Man of Honour
Some other European cities are currently looking at plans to band EURO6 diesels from town centres. If they bring it in then London won't be far behind because the tax revenue is too tempting.

Soldato
Last time I tested a bunch of cars pre 2000 and they all had to pay. Same petrol car post 2000 was fine and exempt.

The fact that an rx8 is exempt yet a pre 2000 1.25 fiesta isn't says it all.

Depends on what emission standard the manufacturer said it complies with.

Also just because it appears to be the same vehicle doesn't mean nothing has changed. A recent example would be PPFs.

Soldato
There will be a spike in number plate cloning I bet. People sticking plates on from cars a few years newer to dodge the tax. Or just no plates at all, that is a big area to try and enforce with loads of little back roads.

Soldato
OP
Depends on what emission standard the manufacturer said it complies with.

Also just because it appears to be the same vehicle doesn't mean nothing has changed. A recent example would be PPFs.

It's pre 2000 for all petrols. At least test it for yourself and see. I think its to do with the fact that co2 is recorded on post 2000 but not pre 2000. Just like road tax rules.

Soldato
It's pre 2000 for all petrols. At least test it for yourself and see. I think its to do with the fact that co2 is recorded on post 2000 but not pre 2000. Just like road tax rules.

No, it is to do with Euro Emissions Standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards#Emission_standards_for_passenger_cars

Petrol cars needs to comply with Euro 4 under the ULEZ. Euro 4 became compulsory in 2005 although some manufacturers started selling Euro 4 compliant vehicles well before that.

Diesels need to comply with Euro 6.

The only guarantee is that petrol cars manufactured after 2005 and diesel cars manufactured after September 2014 will be compliant. Any car before then needs to be checked (and other vehicles have slightly different dates).

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol my 1998 r1 and 2005 gs1200 both I'd have to pay for yet my 2017 3.2 ford ranger is free.

Seems the congestion charge and the ulez are fighting against each other.

They are tackling different things really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards#Emission_standards_for_passenger_cars

The emissions standards don't care about CO2. Not really harmful to people or wildlife (other than climate change).

NOx emissions are the ones diesels (well only VW proven for now) have been cheating on to pass these standards. You can see in the tables how quickly the permitted levels came down resulting in manufacturers cheating.

Soldato
OP
When did cats become mandatory? It's probably due to that.
Nothing to do with cats as that was early 90s.

I hear what your saying muon, but it doesn't make sense that a much lower co2 car is not exempt yet a higher one is. One is pre 2000 and the other isn't. Literally all examples. How do you explain that?

Edit. just read your post above. Fair do's.

Associate
My 5.7 litre 1977 Corvette appears to be exempt from this.
Probably just didn't bother covering cars which weren't sold in the UK. In which case, nice loophole :D
My 6.0 2007 Vauxhall Monaro VXR is also exempt! That was first registered and sold in the UK as a Vauxhall - even though an imported technically Australian Holden Monaro.

edit; Sadly the fuel duty gained from the obscenely thirsty engine probably offsets that for the government!

Back
Top Bottom