Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
Abrams isn't the driving force behind the changes being forced on Star Wars. Or the one shoehorning in Feminist undertones and pointless characters, which is what's ruining it. He isn't a bad director.

Soldato
TFA is one of best experiences in a cinema ever for me. It was just cool. Not a great film by any stretch, but it was just so damn cool seeing everyone back together and SW brought right up to date with current special effects, it got me hyped for the next two films.

TLJ is the worst experience in a cinema for me. It just felt so wrong what I was watching. There were cheers in TFA, during TLJ there were groans.

Permabanned
I haven't even been able to watch either of these all the way through. The comedy bar is set so high it doesn't even take itself remotely seriously.

Do people actually find the never ending stupid humour and bad jokes genuinely funny?

Soldato
I haven't even been able to watch either of these all the way through. The comedy bar is set so high it doesn't even take itself remotely seriously.

Do people actually find the never ending stupid humour and bad jokes genuinely funny?

No it's ****. If you think what's in the movie is bad, you should see some of the stuff that was edited out - it's absolutely shocking, and Rian Johnson should be shot for it. No jury would convict when presented with the crimes that Johnson has committed.

Man of Honour

It is absolutely infuriating. We have gone from a somewhat serious saga to an absolute joke. I watched the original trilogy when on itv recently and it reminded me how good they were vs this rubbish. Even the prequels were decent in comparison.

Soldato
Yes there was a seriousness in the OT that worked perfectly. The new films are a joke, literally.

It's just the result of the trend started pretty much by Disney(tm)'s Marvel(tm)'s Avengers(tm)'s and then also films like Guardians of the Galaxy(tm)... An action movie with a huge dose of not taking things or itself too seriously with smug characters making quips etc. constantly, following a few successful movies using that formula it's been shoehorned into absolutely everything and Star Wars is just one of the latest victims... Frankly I'm surprised there isn't a scene where Rey or Poe or someone goes "What we can't do that - this is reality not a SPACE MOVIE!!" **4th wall breaking glance at camera together**

Caporegime
When Thor Ragnarok became so popular and successful they started thinking that every movie needed jokes and humour. I’m hoping Endgame is dark and bleak and black. At least to begin with.

Soldato
The Force Awakens is an average movie that was a really fun experience, and I was willing to excuse the blatant theft of ANH's story and Rey's Mary Sue-ness because it set up some really interesting ideas going forward despite the general opinion of JJ's reliance on mystery boxes. TFA has been worsened thanks to TLJ. It's now just a blatant ANH ripoff with a confirmed Mary Sue protagonist and everything else they set up that made it stand out from ANH has been completely discarded. Maybe JJ can salvage some of the ideas in IX but my expectations and anticipation are at an all time low.

Caporegime
When Thor Ragnarok became so popular and successful they started thinking that every movie needed jokes and humour. I’m hoping Endgame is dark and bleak and black. At least to begin with.

You think Thor: Ragnarok, released a mere 2 months before last Jedi, had some bearing on the amount of jokes in that movie?

Come off it, Last Jedi was pretty much complete by then, they were likely just waiting on special FX shots.

Man of Honour
You think Thor: Ragnarok, released a mere 2 months before last Jedi, had some bearing on the amount of jokes in that movie?

Come off it, Last Jedi was pretty much complete by then, they were likely just waiting on special FX shots.

Definitely started before that movie with Guardians of the galaxy and Deadpool, etc. and probably a few before that but Thor might have had an impact on last minute cuts, etc.

Soldato
The Force Awakens is an average movie that was a really fun experience, and I was willing to excuse the blatant theft of ANH's story and Rey's Mary Sue-ness because it set up some really interesting ideas going forward despite the general opinion of JJ's reliance on mystery boxes. TFA has been worsened thanks to TLJ. It's now just a blatant ANH ripoff with a confirmed Mary Sue protagonist and everything else they set up that made it stand out from ANH has been completely discarded. Maybe JJ can salvage some of the ideas in IX but my expectations and anticipation are at an all time low.

This sums up my feelings perfectly. I re-watched TFA awakens yesterday on ITV and, because of TLJ, I now look at Rey as a joke. In TFA she could have her amazing skills and learning capabilities because of Force sensitivity gained from parents, etc. TLJ destroyed that option and the only option left is that she's a Mary Sue and thus the whole new trilogy becomes a farce. With the exception of Ep 4 I have watched every star wars film in the cinema (I was too young for Ep 4) but I won't be paying to see Ep 9. I am devoted fan of 1-6 (yes, even that one) and I adore The Clone Wars. The new trilogy started off OK, then nose-dived and I just won't bother with it any more. Even aside from the disaster that RJ filmed, I never ease to be amazed that any company would willingly blame it's own customer base (the fans) for the failing of their product (TLJ). I can only wonder at the total lack of business acumen that such a move demonstrates.

Caporegime
It’s not unheard of for the force to be strong in someone who doesn’t have force capable parents. AFAIK Anakin’s mother wasn’t force sensitive although we don’t know anything about his Father. He turned out to be one of the most powerful Jedi/Sith Lords ever. Midichlorians be damned as well. What makes her the Mary Sue is that she manages all this in what seems like days or weeks, not years as for other Jedi.

Permabanned
It is absolutely infuriating. We have gone from a somewhat serious saga to an absolute joke. I watched the original trilogy when on itv recently and it reminded me how good they were vs this rubbish. Even the prequels were decent in comparison.

I can't believe they even put a 'you're mum' joke in there. Beyond tasteless. Stooping so low I think a Jar-Jar binks trilogy would have been better.

Likewise these are so bad they've inspired me to watch the originals just to remind me too. I also quite liked 1 and 3. At least we had Darth Maul, and 3 was particularly dark.

Back
Top Bottom