Dead AKG K702 - what to do next?

Associate
Hey guys - so I treated my self to a pair of AKG K702 headphones just before Christmas. Absolutely loved them for a few weeks, then today the right can just cut out mid game session. Now i'd read about fixing this issue, by reattaching the often badly soldiered red wire, but noticed when I was doing the bass mod on them (removed the little stickers on the drivers) that AKG seem to changed their design slightly and now heatwrap all the connections on both sides. This makes finding the loose wire or bad connection much more difficult, and i'm not going to try slicing off the heatshrink on the nice new headphones.

So I'm returning them for a refund, as I have doubts about the QC and build quality now - I really babied them and they lasted two weeks. The K712 were my other option for the extra bass fun, but although they're made in Europe still the wiring/connections still have the same weak points. I didn't really want to shell out a lot more for anything crazy like Senny HD6xx but I do really like reliability too.

Anyone else bought K702/K712/K7xx recently and had similar problems or have any recommendations? Thanks in advance :)

*edit* I need detachable cables - I have cats, children and scissors in the house ;)

Soldato
I would give them another punt to be honest if their sound signature is what you were after. Not sure when AKG made the change your referring too, but I have had K702's and K712's for a while. While I did sell off the 702's recently as I much prefer the 712's, both are (/were) going strong. A friend picked up 712s based on my recommendation back in Sep, so a bit more recent then mine, but similarly, still going strong.

V F

V F

Soldato
I think I've had mine since April or May this year. I'm confused about the detachable part... The cable is detachable.

I would give them another punt to be honest if their sound signature is what you were after. Not sure when AKG made the change your referring too, but I have had K702's and K712's for a while. While I did sell off the 702's recently as I much prefer the 712's, both are (/were) going strong. A friend picked up 712s based on my recommendation back in Sep, so a bit more recent then mine, but similarly, still going strong.

Why do the bass mod then, the K712 is what the user would have been after. The bass is great on the K702. Clean, tight, sharp and not elevated that so many seem to love.

Soldato
I think I've had mine since April or May this year. I'm confused about the detachable part... The cable is detachable.

Why do the bass mod then, the K712 is what the user would have been after. The bass is great on the K702. Clean, tight, sharp and not elevated that so many seem to love.

Are you talking to me or the OP? Sound like they would do bass mode regardless and only thing not happy with is the cable which would not be solely inherent on the 702 as both use a similar cable and connection.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yes, you but I'm saying why do the bass mod when it's going to alter its sound signature by elevating the bass. The K712 ups its bass by +3dB if I remember correctly... They should have went with the K712 Pro if they wanted that.

Soldato
Yes, you but I'm saying why do the bass mod when it's going to alter its sound signature by elevating the bass. The K712 ups its bass by +3dB if I remember correctly... They should have went with the K712 Pro if they wanted that.

Yes the K712s have +3db on the base. I imagine plenty go for the 702s and do the bass mod for the slight elevation rather then opt for 712s off the bat given the price difference, Nearly double the price atm. as per OPs first line they loved the 702s regardless.

Similarly as per there second paragraph mentioning they are made in Europe. Am pointing out the connector is similarly on the 702s and 712 so any issues common to one would be apparent on the other. Not that I have any issues on either of mine.

Associate
OP
Yes the bass mod was just to try to get a bit closer to the K712 sound, without having to pay the extra £100. Sorry the extra note bit about the cable was just in case anyone recommended something else but with a fixed cable.

Back
Top Bottom