BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
As @andy_mk3 posted you can get 66/22 max out of your line. On the 80/20 if you wanted more upload speed for game streaming on twitch etc then the upload speed would be good

But if you don't stream games and you are ok with your 55/10 then I'd stick with that.

I'll stick with what I have. Price would go up to £39.99 and I doubt I'd get the full 66 anyway

Caporegime
If you've re-contracted you should be on something newer than a Home Hub 5 as well. Bear that in mind next time your contract is up.

Soldato
Has anyone here switched from BT to Plus.net? My parents live 2.5 Hours away and I’m hoping they can ignore the included plus.net router and continue using their existing HG612 and TP-Link Mesh Router system with no re-configuration. From online research I think this is possible?

Associate
Soldato
Getting close to ordering BT FTTP for my new build, move in on 25th Jan. Fibre box under the stairs is all lit up green.

Prices on the BT web site are,

ULTRAFAST FIBRE 2 PLUS
Average speed 300Mb (guarantee of 100mb)
£55.99 a month for 18 months

ULTRAFAST FIBRE PLUS
Average speed 145Mb
Speed guarantee of at least 100Mb
£49.99 a month for 18 months

There's more expensive deals which include smart hub 2 and WiFi discs but don't think I need that.

What's the upload speed on BT ?

Am I likely to get a better deal if I call up BT sales and speak to someone rather than buying online ?

The other option Virgin media 350mb for £50 a month for 12 months.

Soldato
Getting close to ordering BT FTTP for my new build, move in on 25th Jan. Fibre box under the stairs is all lit up green.

Prices on the BT web site are,

ULTRAFAST FIBRE 2 PLUS
Average speed 300Mb (guarantee of 100mb)
£55.99 a month for 18 months

ULTRAFAST FIBRE PLUS
Average speed 145Mb
Speed guarantee of at least 100Mb
£49.99 a month for 18 months

Is that FTTP or G.Fast? Generally FTTP has very high minimum speed guarantees, whereas G.Fast generally also starts out offering 300Mbps but the minimum speed guarantee is usually quite low.

Caporegime
The 100Mbps speed guarantee is something that BT Retail put on their Ultrafast products, and it's separate from any handback threshold on a variable rate service.

Soldato
Just on the off chance I needed further amusement in the lull between Christmas and New Year, BT have kindly obliged... We've gone from two cancelled installs, one failed install (no show) and two missing faults tech's to... working g.fast (with the right faceplate as i'm on VoIP), to the total loss of my phone service because they did a cease on the POTS service and didn't restrict the number then restriction lift it over to VoIP (i'm *SO* happy the installer spent an hour driving to stores at double time to get me a VoIP faceplate now) and can't BT restore it for almost 3 weeks, oh and it's a number port that's RTD'd it may not be restorable at all. In other news the line has stabilised nicely and my latest 10 day training period will be up later today and I can get the modem swap done.

Man of Honour
Moving soon from a pair of 80/20 FTTC lines and faster technologies supposedly coming soon to somewhere that looks like max stable sync is 27Mbit :( could be worse though many surrounding parts have like 1.5Mbit ADSL. Still going to be a culture shock especially with so many Windows 10 devices in the household now.

Annoyingly it seems to be a deadspot for the 4G providers with the best data offerings though has good Vodafone reception.

Soldato
Moving soon from a pair of 80/20 FTTC lines and faster technologies supposedly coming soon to somewhere that looks like max stable sync is 27Mbit :( could be worse though many surrounding parts have like 1.5Mbit ADSL. Still going to be a culture shock especially with so many Windows 10 devices in the household now.

Annoyingly it seems to be a deadspot for the 4G providers with the best data offerings though has good Vodafone reception.

27mbit is easily within the survivable category. If you really have enough w10 devices to justify it, then it’s not that difficult to set-up a proxy cache and things like a remote VPS and cloud storage are cheap, most issues just require looking at things slightly differently.

Associate
27mbit is easily within the survivable category. If you really have enough w10 devices to justify it, then it’s not that difficult to set-up a proxy cache and things like a remote VPS and cloud storage are cheap, most issues just require looking at things slightly differently.

I'm not 100% sure on that, family of 5 here and we have 10Mbit down and we can't all use the internet at the same time, if you want to stream music, youtube/netflix/iplayer and i can't game at all unless everyone has gone to bed.

This is with one Windows 10 PC, one Xbox One and the rest are either mobiles or tablets and the stuff after midnight is when i update either the PC or Xbox games.

Plus-net-usage.PNG

Caporegime
Having some sort of QoS in place to prioritise the games would help a lot with that, in a way that just increasing the connection speed wouldn't necessarily.

Soldato
I'm not 100% sure on that, family of 5 here and we have 10Mbit down and we can't all use the internet at the same time, if you want to stream music, youtube/netflix/iplayer and i can't game at all unless everyone has gone to bed.

This is with one Windows 10 PC, one Xbox One and the rest are either mobiles or tablets and the stuff after midnight is when i update either the PC or Xbox games.

I said 27Mbit was easily survivable, 10Mbit is survivable, but with a family that size it’s not going to be without issue. You need QoS in your life, it won’t magically fix everything, but it will allow you to control usage which should make a noticeable difference to your family life.

Back
Top Bottom