Show us your kitty cats

Soldato
Had a new dressing gown for Xmas - who do you think bagged the old one :):)

414100016.jpg

Soldato
Who do you guys use for cat insurance? Petplan seems crazy expensive (Lifetime cover £21 a month), cheapest Lifetime I can find is £4.41 from Healthy Pets but the reviews on these guys aren't great. Any tips?
Bought by Many for me, not expensive and gives excellent coverage though have not had to claim as Millie is built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

Soldato
Hey all, anyone give some advice on costs of adopting a kitten. Insurance, injections and best food, right toys for kittens and training. We don't have outdoor access as we're on a middle floor flat near a main road too.

We had 2 young adult cats as adoptees 4 years ago but the big brother would attack the smaller sister so we gave him to my wife's dad and he is loving life down in Hove now. The sister had a good couple of years but sadly passed away due to an illness so we're now ready to get a kitten and have it grow up with us and our 3yr old son. He's very sensible with animals, we don't have any other pets so hoping it's an easy transition.

Associate
You're not far from the big Cats Protection Centre at Chelwood Gate - we've had our last two cats from there. They normally have loads of cats that need homes, from kittens to older cats. I think it's a fixed donation amount of about £80, but that includes all the jabs and neutering etc which cost much more than that at the vets. They'll let you know what food they've been using, for a kitten I think it'll be something g like Purina Pro Plan junior biscuits, and Felix kitten wet meat pouches.

Soldato
Hopefully you will choose a kitten from a rescue centre rather than a breeder.
Toys, kittens will play with anything, from plastic milk carton tops to stuffed mice so just get a bunch of different stuff.
A scratch pole which can come as part of a cat tree is a must.
Insurance depends on what cover you want so shop around.
Food, if you get a young kitten you can probably get it to eat good quality wet food, I don't believe in dry food as main nourishment as it just is not natural, but it is good for keeping their teeth clean.
Cat litter, there are many types I prefer clumping litter as it seems to absorb smells also. Make sure you get a big box or prepare to upgrade as it grows as the litter will be scattered everywhere. My Millie is now on one of the under bed storage boxes from Poundstretcher.

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife has been to the Chelwood Gate place a while back. They were mostly older cats and also they said couldn't be homed with young children. We'd happily adopt a rescue but it seems rules are already against our favour die to what i have already said. Young children, flat, no easy outdoor access

Soldato
I know all circumstances are different but I stay one floor up and my cat Millie can pretty much come and go as she pleases. I do have a cat flap and the main stair door is always open as the entry system is broken and no one is prepared to pay their share of the rather large costs to have it repaired.
I also have one busy road which Millie will not go anywhere near.
I am not sure why some rescue centres have this stipulation of outdoor access as some cats are more than happy never to go out.

Soldato
I know all circumstances are different but I stay one floor up and my cat Millie can pretty much come and go as she pleases. I do have a cat flap and the main stair door is always open as the entry system is broken and no one is prepared to pay their share of the rather large costs to have it repaired.
I also have one busy road which Millie will not go anywhere near.
I am not sure why some rescue centres have this stipulation of outdoor access as some cats are more than happy never to go out.
When I got my two cats 10 years ago from The Cat Protection League, I was told they need outdoor access and like to explore. I used to let them in the garden but they would never go far and since moving to a flat 7 years ago they never go out and are very happy to just run around and if I give them the choice of even going out in the close they are too scared and run back in when they hear a noise.

Associate
If you are looking for inside only you could rescue an FIV cat, our first was from Cats Protection, she was less than a year old and came from a multi-cat house where she's picked up FIV. Never made the slightest difference, she just wasn't aloud outside with other cats.
Chelwood Gate don't have any anti children rules, just before Christmas we went with our 18month old baby and picked up a 12 week old kitten. They will have some cats that aren't suitable for homes with children though.

Caporegime
Friend of mine did that too, though the cat she picked up was a fair few years old as well, essentially it will probably only have a few years left and is used to being inside all the time so minimal fuss for her and if owning a cat turns out to be not for her then it isn't exactly the potential 15 year commitment with say getting a healthy kitten.

Back
Top Bottom