Catalytic converter scrap prices

Associate
The days when cats were worth real money is long gone. Put it this way: when did you last hear of one being stolen? The fuel in your tank is worth more.

It still happens on a very regular basis, especially from vans, I work for a hire car company and multiple times a week we hear about so and so branch having a cat stolen.

Man of Honour
It still happens on a very regular basis, especially from vans, I work for a hire car company and multiple times a week we hear about so and so branch having a cat stolen.

Fair enough: fuel robberies seemed a lot more common, and even they are fairly rare. As for £70, I guess all things are relative: I'm an old man and remember when a new one was the best part of a grand.

Soldato
The days when cats were worth real money is long gone. Put it this way: when did you last hear of one being stolen? The fuel in your tank is worth more.

I have a mate in Birmingham who is on his fourth cat on his (relatively new) Mercedes Sprinter van, he has had it pinched that many times. Gone for a none genuine one now and is much more wary about where he has the van parked now.

Associate
I have a mate in Birmingham who is on his fourth cat on his (relatively new) Mercedes Sprinter van, he has had it pinched that many times. Gone for a none genuine one now and is much more wary about where he has the van parked now.

Sleave the ends with stainless steel? will take ages to cut though with a exhuSte cutter especially if it keeps spinning

Soldato
Had a spate of CAT thefts around Wiltshire in the last few weeks, I actually thought it was pretty common. Mostly from cars with higher ground clearance. £70 scrap in value and yet if I need one for my car (OEM) it's about 1k.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Holy thread revival.

Didn’t want to be the guy starting a new thread...

Shed clear out yesterday listing a bunch of S2000 parts the new owner didn’t want.

Old cat is in good condition but the element inside has come loose. Looks to be in one piece.

Listed on eBay for 99p starting bid and it’s shot up to £165 with a bunch of bidders after it. Is this likely to be the usual eBay BS or is it actually worth that?

Associate
Listed on eBay for 99p starting bid and it’s shot up to £165 with a bunch of bidders after it. Is this likely to be the usual eBay BS or is it actually worth that?
Maybe someone needs it who replaced there with a straight pipe but the MOT has failed now they are cracking down on removed cats.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
The listing states faulty in the title, description explains the issue fully and the item condition is marked as ‘for parts or not working’

I’m sceptical as I usually get messed about by people on eBay but there at a few bidders so this leads me to believe that must be the value of it. I didn’t expect it to be that high though

Soldato
scrapped a honda accord 1.8 petrol 1999 reg. car was finished but due to original cat on the car got 430 quid in scrap value. so if its old honda accord cat you will get lots for it.

Associate
It seems to be that the Toyota Prius is the goto car for cat thefts. Loads getting reported stolen, disproportionately to other cars.
Don't know if it's because they're worth more or that they're just easier to remove.

Soldato
Might be having my original exhaust changed soon, you think its worth asking for the CAT back to sell as scrap? One site says its classed as hazardous waste so not even sure if they'll let me have it.

Back
Top Bottom