Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Soldato
I have to say, after finishing the story at the weekend I was a little disappointed with the way it ended. I'll spoiler my feedback for people who haven't finished it:

In my playthrough, Deimos ended up killing Myrinne at the end, which made the whole dinner table scene a bit bizarre. I can see it potentially working if you manage to avoid anyone from dying (or at least Myrinne and Deimos), but otherwise it just seems like Alexios/Kassandra are shrugging off huge personal tragedy way too quickly. Having read through the potential outcomes it turns out that only a very small deviation from the 'good' conversation choices can lead to character deaths, which I think is a bit lame, particularly considering there are some quite similar conversation choices. It turns out one of the key scenes is when Alexios/Kassandra is locked up. I thought I'd picked the right answers to convince Deimos that they were being used by the cult, but apparently not.

I also think the story would have worked better if it had culminated in hunting the ringleader of the cultists, rather than leaving you to uncover the rest of the cultists after the story concludes. I thought Deimos was a disappointing end boss fight. He/she was quite predictable and the vast majority of attacks were easy to avoid. I had more trouble fighting the Erymanthian boar than I did Deimos, which is a bit ridiculous.

That's not to say the game isn't fantastic, I still consider it one of the games of the year and most of the story is great, it just goes out with a bit of a whimper rather than a bang. Also, not that it's the games fault but I think AC Odyssey shows how badly the next-gen consoles need SSDs, the frequency and length of loading screens is a bit painful.

Associate
Seriously impressed not only by the game but the level of support it's getting - had a raz on it yesterday and noticed there was suddenly a new skill that makes assassinated bodies magically disappear :D

Associate
That's not to say the game isn't fantastic, I still consider it one of the games of the year and most of the story is great, it just goes out with a bit of a whimper rather than a bang. Also, not that it's the games fault but I think AC Odyssey shows how badly the next-gen consoles need SSDs, the frequency and length of loading screens is a bit painful.

I know what you mean - death feels like a proper punishment in that sense (waiting for the reload) - but but it seamlessly streams as you move across the map. The only oddity i've noticed so far is when you have mission where you go into a building for a short cut scene which means load to go in, load to go out. I'm running (everything) on SSD only on my system. Edit: just realised you meant on console. Am having a coffee. ;)

Soldato
What builds are people running? Enjoying using the armour set that boosts fire damage. Just missing the helmet and two levels for the bonus. Warrior skill set.

Soldato
I stopped using fire as I just ended up burning myself so often, ran a poison dagger build pretty effectively although fire/poison are both pretty weak for the player but rather OP for the enemy especially some of the quicker mercenaries. Heavy weapons are fun but so slow that they aren't really feasible for most of the game. A real shame there isn't a proper sword & shield option, seems a glaring hole in the game for me even though I loved it.

I found archery quite weak aside from the one that hits a wide area which was pretty useful otherwise I only really used it to take our the bounty owners or single targets. I mostly ran a stealth build just because I enjoy being a sneaky bar steward.

Soldato
I'm using a warrior/assassin setup. As ricky says, the archery skills and damage is pretty weak and just generally a bit frustrating to use because of the way most enemies rush and close the distance pretty fast. I really only found archery useful against the legendary animals you hunt. I've found that fully levelling up standard and critical assassinations, overpowered attacks, battlecry of Ares and the armour durability and weapon power skills is most useful.

Soldato
Just finished off the Agamemnon Legendary set fire damage so much better :)

At the stage now that am a little puzzled at what to do next. Main story hunt down the cult, DLC or start clearing Islands.

Level 45 and still for more than 70% map to explore lol

Too much content lol?

Really want to pick up one or two of the armour sets in the store but kinda don't at the same time.

Soldato
The Mercenary system is really starting to get on my nerves now. It's a good thing in theory but it's also a total PITA.
I get told to go somewhere to kill somebody. I stealth kill people without being noticed and yet I end up with a bounty on my head and 3 Mercenaries after me :mad: If you get seen doing something then that's fine but not when you haven't been noticed. It's also inconsistent; I can done for murder for killing somebody but yet I kill somebody else in the same place and it doesn't count :confused:

Associate
This game is huge. Still only level 29 and looks like I probably still have tons of the main quests left and been at it for months. So much content not to mention the dlc!

Soldato
Just started playing this after Christmas, what an absolutely delightful game, I am still on the first island - And it is an absolute joy to play, I loved Origins and I can tell I am going to enjoy this aswell. I thought RDR2 was a great game, but compared to this I find AC:Odyssey such a joy to play, RDR2 felt really clunky, and to that I felt it was a let down (but not a total let down!) Everything feels seamless, and I cannot wait to get stuck in!!!

Associate
What's are RPG mechanics like, such as the branching dialogue options and skill trees? Do they feel tacked on, or do they compliment the game?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just started playing this after Christmas, what an absolutely delightful game, I am still on the first island - And it is an absolute joy to play, I loved Origins and I can tell I am going to enjoy this aswell. I thought RDR2 was a great game, but compared to this I find AC:Odyssey such a joy to play, RDR2 felt really clunky, and to that I felt it was a let down (but not a total let down!) Everything feels seamless, and I cannot wait to get stuck in!!!

Same here, purchased it yesterday, I still haven't finished RDR2 either, I really hate the slow clunky controls of it, that's enough for me to ruin the game, this however is smooth and fast and most importantly fun where as RDR2 just feels like a chore as soon as I start playing it.

Soldato
Same here, purchased it yesterday, I still haven't finished RDR2 either, I really hate the slow clunky controls of it, that's enough for me to ruin the game, this however is smooth and fast and most importantly fun where as RDR2 just feels like a chore as soon as I start playing it.

Have you tried a few of the 'tweaks' to try make RDR2 more responsive? I saw something on reddit about changing deadzones and whatnot. I don't know though as it's not a game I've played or want to play.

Soldato
What's are RPG mechanics like, such as the branching dialogue options and skill trees? Do they feel tacked on, or do they compliment the game?

Probably not the best to answer, as I only started playing on Boxing Days - and I'm only up to level 14 at the moment. But from what I have seen so far, they seem to be optional - most final dialogue options have a response that doesn't affect the branch. I have had at least one event though, where I opted to save some people, only to hear later in the game; that my choice may not have benefited the start island!

Associate
Started playing this on PS4 Pro a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. Character is level 17 ATM. I am however having serious issues with random frame rate dips. Two or three times now I've had situations where the game has turned into a slideshow with the FPS dipping right down to 1 or 2 a second. On one occasion the game just froze completely - extremely irritating.

Soldato
Started playing this on PS4 Pro a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. Character is level 17 ATM. I am however having serious issues with random frame rate dips. Two or three times now I've had situations where the game has turned into a slideshow with the FPS dipping right down to 1 or 2 a second. On one occasion the game just froze completely - extremely irritating.

Interesting you say that. I started on PC a few days ago, just hit level 18 but I am getting the exact same issue as you - surprised it's on console too. It happens randomly and not very often but the game will tank to 1fps for a second or 2 and then go back to the regular FPS.

Soldato

Mine has just started doing this, what is going on? It is so annoying! Happens a lot now

It seems to only happen when in Forts, not sure if that is just a coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom