• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NV-Link (SLi) experience on RTX 2080s ?

Associate
I am curious to hear if any one has tried out NV-Link/SLi with RTX 2080 (or 2080Ti) ? and also what is your experience with it so far ? I am very interested in first hand knowledge since I have read the few reviews that are to find about NV-Link/SLi with RTX 2080 (and most reviews are with first day release drivers).
My wifes MSI RTX 2080 Duke OC (her 3rd after RMA) still works after 1month, and now we are considering getting one more (so she'll be able to match my 1080Ti SLi setup), but we can't seem to find any owners of such setup to relay some tips/advice.

Associate
I've been running 2080 Ti in SLI but will be going back to single card (RTX Titan). It's really still the same old/limited support, doesn't work with a lot of DX12, have to play around with NVIDIA inspector a lot, doesn't feel as smooth as single card even though the FPS is higher, slightly more input lag due to not being able to set render head to 1 in drivers like you can single card, etc.

Soldato
Used 2080Ti SLI briefly. Scaling in certain high brow titles is 80% and higher in some scenarios, however, there simply isn't enough examples of this to warrant the huge outlay. NVLink isn't a reason to invest back into MGPU, it's the same implementation of SLi as the original interface. It's still AFR, it still has the same limitations and it still doesn't always support the games you'll want to play.

Associate
OP
Hmm personally I am a SLi user and 2016 and 2017 were terrible years regarding new games supporting it etc, but in 2018 I actually found that more newer games did scale much better than the previous years. Also from the tests I have seen NV-Link SLi seems to scale slightly better and in some games where SLi wouldn't scale NV-Link did.

Hmm I think we will try with a second MSI RTX 2080 Duke OC, and experience first hand how it handles in the games we play that support SLi

Associate
OP
We would have ordered another MSI RTX 2080 Duke OC, but found out that there isn't enough room for the card at the bottom position, because of fan mounting plates of the hdd cage, so there is just missing 3mm of room. So instead we ordered a MSI RTX 2080 Ventus to NVLink SLi.

Soldato
jesus common why don't they support this. If they're gonna enable it in top tier cards only it infers they hope the enthusiast will buy TWO-top-tier cards for £££$$$

esp with the advent of high refreh rate 4k (and beyond?!) monitors you need the grunt where you can get it.

Thoroughly continue to be 'meh' about this gen of RTX cards.

Associate
I am curious to hear if any one has tried out NV-Link/SLi with RTX 2080 (or 2080Ti) ? and also what is your experience with it so far ? I am very interested in first hand knowledge since I have read the few reviews that are to find about NV-Link/SLi with RTX 2080 (and most reviews are with first day release drivers).
My wifes MSI RTX 2080 Duke OC (her 3rd after RMA) still works after 1month, and now we are considering getting one more (so she'll be able to match my 1080Ti SLi setup), but we can't seem to find any owners of such setup to relay some tips/advice.
lins tech tips has the a review looks cool.

Associate
OP
lins tech tips has the a review looks cool.

Looked at that test also but didn't tell as much though.
We have ordered a Palit RTX 2080 Gaming Pro OC to run NVLink SLi with the MSI RTX 2080 Duke OC. Mixing TU104-400A-1 and TU104-400A seems like a bad idea since the pro oc models will boost around 100mhz even on stock settings.

Man of Honour
no actual real gamers in here then? just hardware junkies wanting the best benchmarks then back onto the forums?

Speak for yourself, I am a serious gamer first.

As to benchmarks most of the ones I do never make it to the forums, they are done for my own personal use. For example I did some yesterday on Unigine Superposition that would have toped the tables but could not be bothered to post them as they were done to find out something of interest to me.

Soldato
jesus common why don't they support this. If they're gonna enable it in top tier cards only it infers they hope the enthusiast will buy TWO-top-tier cards for £££$$$

esp with the advent of high refreh rate 4k (and beyond?!) monitors you need the grunt where you can get it.

Thoroughly continue to be 'meh' about this gen of RTX cards.

It's not Nvidia at fault, it's game devs. They're the ones not implementing multi GPU support. The only thing Nvidia could do would be to collaborate with AMD, Intel and Microsoft to collectively work on proper drivers and APIs that will "combine" multiple GPUs detected into a singular entity; the APIs just fire off their doings as normal agnostic of the fact that the underlying card drivers will manage splitting workload.

But I've more chance of becoming president of Mars than that happening.

Soldato
There's no sizable market for it, and there never really has been. It is what it is, if you're contemplating investing in two high-end cards, then best come to terms with a mixed bag of support. I'm perfectly happy with one 2080Ti, frankly. It's nice not to have to worry about pacing and latency issues whilst still having the blistering performance with one Turing card.

Associate
OP
Well now I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.
20190112_162806.jpg

Back
Top Bottom