what is "the" tv to go for at the moment?

Soldato
hopefully moving into our new home in a couple of months and we are now keeping our eyes open for deals on appliances etc that we will need.

one thing we need is a new tv as our current one will be going in my man cave.

And since it is an upgrade it can only go bigger, currently have a 55".

So what is the tv to go for at the moment around £1k?

Soldato
LG oled b7 can be had for £1k now. Best TV at that price range, but that's only a 55". The 65" can be had for under £1700. Anything bigger for £1k you start to compromise on a few things.

Associate
A couple of months is a long time in the TV world so prices will drop and TVs priced £1200-1400 now may well be in your budget in a few months time.
Recently got a 65" TV and was tracking it for a while. It dropped around £300 from me first checking it out to me actually buying it a few months later.

Soldato
OP
I would really like to go bigger so if it is worth saving the extra I will. The budget shall be increased!

I shall keep an eye on the 65" B8 prices and also start reading the oled v qled thread :p

How do the current Samsungs compare? Juds wondering as I have had samsungs for my few tvs

Soldato
OP
Can't tell at moment as it's a new build and due for completion in feb/march.

The room has 2 sets of doors to julliet balconies. I will be doing my best to get the room dark though for movies etc.

I used to have a Panasonic plasma which I loved and is still used by my in laws.

Associate
Just bought a Samsung 65" NU8000 for £1100, let you know what it's like Saturday!

After reading lots of reviews, it was either this or the Sony XF900 (£1500), after seeing both in John Lewis I wasn't convinced the Sony is worth so much more, it has direct backlighting but from what I could see the zones are too big so there was obvious blooming, at which point you may as well go OLED and get a B7 for just a few hundred quid more, but didn't want to spend that much.

Caporegime
Just bought a Samsung 65" NU8000 for £1100, let you know what it's like Saturday!

After reading lots of reviews, it was either this or the Sony XF900 (£1500), after seeing both in John Lewis I wasn't convinced the Sony is worth so much more, it has direct backlighting but from what I could see the zones are too big so there was obvious blooming, at which point you may as well go OLED and get a B7 for just a few hundred quid more, but didn't want to spend that much.

XF900 has around 50-60 zones which isn't as good as the top end Sony's with 500 zones but it's better than an nu8000 with 0 zones.

I haven't noticed any blooming on mine the blacks look ridiculously good much better than my LG. I would say 50 zones is a decent amount. I know my mate spent £3k on his Sony with 500 zones. Compared to my £1k. I reckon it's not worth paying for after seeing both in person and owning one.

Associate
Ah, that explains what I was seeing. Aware the Sony is rated higher overall, but since I'll be mainly gaming on it, it was gonna have to blow me away to be worth £400 more, especially with the price of an OLED not much higher.

Soldato
I wasn't convinced the Sony is worth so much more, it has direct backlighting but from what I could see the zones are too big so there was obvious blooming
Did you look at an IPS pan 750 too ?, finally saw one at Hughes/xmas and was impressed by picture/viewing angle against adjacent oled, @2/3 price

Also, with a decent sony VA panel then blacks are good anyway, on an earlier pan I have disabled dynamic contrast options, which like zoning can give very obvious & distracting, black level changes between scenes, afaik the panasonic 750 zoning cannot be disabled, and also, makes calibration difficult, so that concerns me.

.... can zoning disabled on the Sony, if you don't like the effect ?

Associate
Did you look at an IPS pan 750 too ?, finally saw one at Hughes/xmas and was impressed by picture/viewing angle against adjacent oled, @2/3 price

Also, with a decent sony VA panel then blacks are good anyway, on an earlier pan I have disabled dynamic contrast options, which like zoning can give very obvious & distracting, black level changes between scenes, afaik the panasonic 750 zoning cannot be disabled, and also, makes calibration difficult, so that concerns me.

.... can zoning disabled on the Sony, if you don't like the effect ?

Didn't look at many others as not much stood out in the 65" range price wise so went in specifically to look at those two.

You can disable local dimming on the Sony yep.

rtings comparison - https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-x900f-vs-samsung-nu8000/585/586 - both rated the same for gaming which is what swung it (plus watching game demos on it), but I think the local dimming score is unfair as if you watch the videos they look almost as bad as each other which is what I saw instore, not sure how the guy calculates it though.

The XF900 is def a great TV and better overall but just not worth an extra £400 when an extra £700 gets you an OLED, IMO. If the Sony was 1250 ish I would probably have gone for it

Associate
Personally feel that if you can afford it, go for an OLED. I have my LG B6 and it’s been fantastic. Some cracking deals available for the B8 range.

I also have a 49 inch Sony XF90 for the upstairs bedroom which I got at a good price - just didn’t quite have enough room for another 55inch OLED upstairs. I chose this model of LCD due to Sony’s motion processing for sports and their use of Dolby Vision/HDR.

I’m very happy with both. Only issue could potentially be burn in with the OLED if gaming with a constantly static image but I’ve never experienced that myself (Xbox One S). My 6 year old likes to leave static images from Sky Q on the screen and we’ve not had an issue with that either.

Caporegime
Didn't look at many others as not much stood out in the 65" range price wise so went in specifically to look at those two.

You can disable local dimming on the Sony yep.

rtings comparison - https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-x900f-vs-samsung-nu8000/585/586 - both rated the same for gaming which is what swung it (plus watching game demos on it), but I think the local dimming score is unfair as if you watch the videos they look almost as bad as each other which is what I saw instore, not sure how the guy calculates it though.

The XF900 is def a great TV and better overall but just not worth an extra £400 when an extra £700 gets you an OLED, IMO. If the Sony was 1250 ish I would probably have gone for it

i had a similar dilemma where it was between the 55" XF900 and the 65" XF900

55" = £1K
65" = £1500

i didn't want to get the NU8000 because no FALD and poor HDR, the sony was also the better PQ.

i didn't think the 65" XF900 was worth paying 50% more for. so I went with the 55".

if it was between a 55" XF900 and 65" NU8000 then to an untrained eye they would likely go for the NU8000. for someone like myself who is used to a plasma it had to be the XF900.

Back
Top Bottom