*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
It's definitely the no injuries bit I'm concentrating on as I've been in a vicious cycle of making good progress in the gym, then getting injured and simply piling the weight back on.

Going for a very big fat loss this year, don't really like the term but guess the level I'm looking at would class it as a transformation. I'll just call it a long cut though ;)

Soldato
OP
Same here mate - I have always had a dodgy right shoulder and barbell bench press keeps aggravating it.... maybe I should try a different chest exercise...….?
This year im gonna take gains slower (im 46 now and its getting harder!) and make sure my form is great and utilising muscles correctly e.g. bench press feeling the press with my chest and not my arms....

Soldato
Not a fan of barbell bench press myself, I do a dumbbell press and feel better for it.

For me this year isn't so much about muscle gain but getting down to a reasonable weight and staying there. Really let myself go in 2018 and wasn't in stellar shape before that so after the festivities I've clocked in at 124kg in 2019. Hoping to be dropping down to at least 100kg by the end of the year while retaining as much muscle as possible.

Already been doing Stronglifts/5x5 for last two months so continuing on with that, hike 5-6 miles three times a week and just thinking how to fill in two more days at the gym with weights.

By far biggest obstacle is going to be the diet as frankly, it's been crap most of my life. Time is definitely an issue with cooking so going to have to get batch cooking, invested in an Instant Pot so that should make things easier.

Man of Honour
In for gainz :D

Suit shopping on Thursday. Jacket is reasonably easy, but trousers are a pain. Waist hasn’t gone up, but legs are way too tight now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In for gainz :D

Suit shopping on Thursday. Jacket is reasonably easy, but trousers are a pain. Waist hasn’t gone up, but legs are way too tight now.

You know you're doing well when you have half a mile too much fabric around the waistline, but you can't sit down for fear of going full Hulk and tearing all your seams!

Soldato
:D dem pumps

I started a job recently so its been a bit hap hazard but it's looking like I can go during lunchtime again for training.

Recently got 100kg on squat again which was nice, wasn't too shabby either. Attempting to train a bit smarter also which I think is helping

How is the new job going? is it based closer to actual civilisation and letting you get to an actual gym??

Oh hai.

snippety snip snip

Bro totally understand. If I remember what you do for a job I am not surprised considering it would have been mental before any children and I can only imagine how tough it is now. Training taking a lower rung on the priority ladder is totally understandable. Its a real shame to hear you have no lots the love for it, but that happens, its life. Hopefully one day when you get a bit more free time, and maybe a training partner again you could start smashing around the weights!!! hey why don't you reignite the run and join a David Lloyd just to get deadlifting banned again hahahah.

Form & movement patterns are fine - strength is as you would imagine.
(Suffering on the bike is harder than under the barbell, n00bs.)

I bet it isn't as far off as you might think, checking out @LiE and he hasn't really lost a lot top end probably 25% down at the top end maybe 30%.

Blegh cardio.... must actually do more :(

Caporegime
How is the new job going? is it based closer to actual civilisation and letting you get to an actual gym??

It's closer to home, there is a gym onsite but I signed up to the other around the corner for pre Xmas gym stuff so I'm staying there atm.

Still going at lunch times , but it works for me otherwise I literally sit down all day now

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
1st of Jan I managed a post injury PB. 180 which I wasn't expecting. I'm aiming for 200 in 2019, but may aim higher as I feel I'm only a couple cycles away from 200.

Soldato
Not a great end to 2018 for me.

First off I was ill and missed eating for about 2 days (and about another 3 to get back to eating normally) which caused me drop about 2kg. My lifts didn't suffer funnily and I've still been improving them weekly but it's still a but of a bummer.

Then last Sunday I pulled something in my groin. I'm not sure if it was from squats or kicking pads without warming up (haven't really thrown a kick in years). I guess the pull caused an ache in my ball next to it. It's subsided now (just) but I didn't want to aggravate it any further so I've not squatted or deadlifted since then. Even though I dread doing them every week it only feels like half a workout without them. Should get back to them on Monday though.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Arrived at the gym for my usual 11am workout. Car park rammed. It’s that time of year again. Fortunately most were in classes or on cardio equipment.

Man of Honour
Currently slowly getting back into it, ticking over at the minute as I'm still nursing a bad rib from my bike crash before Christmas.

Man of Honour
Yeah there isn't an elliptical machine in Britain not getting a (gentle) pounding this month.

I'm just over the 3 month mark with stronglifts and making slower progress now but still progress. Wish I had started it a couple of years ago rather than doing the random mix of weights and cardio I was doing at the gym

Man of Honour
Arrived at the gym for my usual 11am workout. Car park rammed. It’s that time of year again. Fortunately most were in classes or on cardio equipment.

I really dislike this time of year. 6pm is going to be horrendous when I start back to work next week.

Having a day off today, 6 days in a row have taken their toll.

Man of Honour
One of the reasons I'm now back at my old gym paying £LOL a month is because it doesn't particularly suffer from the New Year New Me lot.

Soldato
Still here, still training (although down to 3 - 4 times a week now)

Hoping I'll break the 100kg Bench / 200kg DL this year.

Soldato
first session of the year this morning, seems no one has started there new years resolutions yet I had a choice of 6 lifting platforms.

place was dead!

started on 531 BBB today though to change my training up a bit so it doesn't get boring.

Still here, still training (although down to 3 - 4 times a week now)

Hoping I'll break the 100kg Bench / 200kg DL this year.

I was trainging 6 times a week with very very slow progression dropped it to 3-4 times a week and results went through the rough :) so hopefully you will have the same

Soldato
I'll be going for 10:30pm tonight so hopefully gym shouldn't be that bad. Also going to need much better scales this year, giving me a difference of 4kg this morning so don't even know if I've done well over the holidays or put weight on :D

Associate
Been on and off gym for past couple of months but struggled to get back into a routine, managed to get a few sessions over festive period but I'm there tonight around 8pm. I'm expecting Chaos.

Caporegime
Just had my lunchtime bash, positively not busy thankfully

Onwards and upwards, first few sessions are going to be just getting the cobwebs out, then I'll start up a new routine probably

Back
Top Bottom