Doctor Who

SPG

SPG

Soldato
A bad show is a bad show, Dr Who as it stands now is a bad show, unless your a 12year old Girl with in which case its probably the best show their has ever been. Nothing wrong in that apart from 12year old boys think stabbing is the new cool...... or Bradley Walsh......

The new show is shockingly bad, shockingly bad, yes the writing is crap, yes the Dr is a Woman due to the BBC being stupid and plowing to ******* pressure and her multicultural companions...we get it.

But even after all that....

The new Dr Who is just crap.

Soldato
What that episode needed was more companions, 6 wasn't enough. Also it was disappointing we didn't get to find out the relationship status of the forge operator, suppose that will be one of the great unanswered questions we will need to wait until next season to find out. At least they wouldn't dare stoop to stereotypes in new PC DrWho such as a waste of space dad trying to get back in to his son's life by flogging what appeared to be back of the truck home appliances to small business owners... but that's fine he's an engineer really (don't mention skin colour).

Started off with so much potential, creepy Dalek! Even forge Dalek looked beautiful, but missiles? Really? Dalek defeated by giving it a hug!

Soldato
Family time over the xmas period, I mentioned to my parents that I'd started watching Dr Who this series with the cheesylad, first time since the McCoy days when I was about <10. They, having watched it all since rebooting, haven't seen any of this one "female Doctor was the final straw", cheerily declared my mother, a woman who reacts like a pitbull to any suggestion women should stick to women's things.

Honestly, wish I could prevent their Daily Mail delivery. They come out with all sorts of **** like this, it's why i avoid spending much time with them.

Soldato
Good episode, shame the rest of the season wasn't of the same quality.

Creepy monster, especially the start and the part where the host looked at the cop and the tentacles started to appear - proper hide behind the settee monster, proper Doctor Who.

As for the comments about scrap metal dalek, flight capability, missiles etc - aliens, time travel etc is ok? Oh and it's a kids tv show!!!

Definitely see potential for JW as the Doctor, but as above, for goodness sake, stop with the 'fam', 'mates' comments.

Soldato
Good episode, shame the rest of the season wasn't of the same quality.

Creepy monster, especially the start and the part where the host looked at the cop and the tentacles started to appear - proper hide behind the settee monster, proper Doctor Who.

As for the comments about scrap metal dalek, flight capability, missiles etc - aliens, time travel etc is ok? Oh and it's a kids tv show!!!

Definitely see potential for JW as the Doctor, but as above, for goodness sake, stop with the 'fam', 'mates' comments.
only it isn't and never has been. It's a family show.

It would be on CBBC if it was, instead it's a 7pm show aimed at the whole family to sit together and enjoy.

Commissario
OP
Tosh. Chibnall can't write to save his life and no matter how good or otherwise the actors are (let's be totally honest, none of them are particularly good), they can't make a rubbish story come across well.

It's as though he doesn't care about the previous fifty five years of Doctor Who at all. I wish someone could just come along, consign these last eleven episodes to a rubbish bin, declare them non canon, fire the whole damn lot and start again with a new regeneration from Capaldi.

Man of Honour
Doctor who is not crap. The 13th Doctor is not crap. The writing is not crap.

Also not just 12 year old girls like it.

I both agree and disagree.

I agree that Doctor Who is not crap.
I agree , in essence, that the 13th Doctor is not crap (writing aside)
I disagree entirely that the writing is not crap.

Plainly put, the writing is dreadful, utterly dreadful. I truly do not know or fathom how anyone who will have watched truly great sci-fi like Firefly, Battlestar, The Expanse, Babylon 5 and so on could possibly watch this season of Doctor Who and in anyway remotely consider that the writing of it is good.

Jodie CAN be a good Doctor, the show CAN be good, but not with this writing, its awful, plain and simple. I'm all for backing a show, but backing it must be done with honesty and complete objectivity, I for one simply cannot in all truth say that the writing is any good, its not and I do the show no favours if I stubbornly pretend it is.

Bring the show back next series, with Jodie at the helm, but with much better writing and the show can really shine.

Soldato
Can't say I've EVER watched a TV show or movie, and ever focussed on the quality of the writing, when I'm enjoying it. Not only that but I'm no writer so can't possibly know 2hat is good or bad .

Not only that but it could be the best story and or script ever but if the director and actors aren't good then it will be awful for that and not the writing .

Caporegime
The writing's been terrible for years, it's not something that's suddenly started. Most of the review sites seem to rate episodes from 2005-2008 the highest and I'd probably agree as my favourite episodes, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Dalek and The Empty Child all came from the first two series.

For me, Moffat completely destroyed it when he took over in 2010 and both Smith and Capaldi suffered massively as a result. Weird because he wrote 3 of the 4 episodes above.

Watched last nights episode, which was the first time I've watched an episode from this series, and it felt more like Doctor Who set in Albert Square. That wasn't anything to do with the cast, it was just tragically paced, poorly written and ultimately boring until the Dalek got his **** together and started murdering stuff.

Man of Honour
Can't say I've EVER watched a TV show or movie, and ever focussed on the quality of the writing, when I'm enjoying it. Not only that but I'm no writer so can't possibly know 2hat is good or bad .

Not only that but it could be the best story and or script ever but if the director and actors aren't good then it will be awful for that and not the writing .

You and I are different in that regard, if I watch something tv or movie, it hugely impacts my enjoyment if the writing is awful. The standard of the writing is something I pay great attention to in anything that is telling a story. Be that on the screen or in book form. If I am watching or reading a story then how well that story is written is a key factor to me.

The directors and actors in this season of Doctor Who seem good enough, I havent really noticed any atrocious acting. But the writing is just horrendous. Its terrible, simply terrible.

I'm not a professional writer either but that doesnt mean I cant recognise bad writing when I see it. I am not a professional chef but I can damned well notice a badly cooked steak when I see one.

Soldato
I both agree and disagree.

I agree that Doctor Who is not crap.
I agree , in essence, that the 13th Doctor is not crap (writing aside)
I disagree entirely that the writing is not crap.

Plainly put, the writing is dreadful, utterly dreadful. I truly do not know or fathom how anyone who will have watched truly great sci-fi like Firefly, Battlestar, The Expanse, Babylon 5 and so on could possibly watch this season of Doctor Who and in anyway remotely consider that the writing of it is good.

Those shows were all written for grown-ups (even though youngsters liked them too). Dr Who is now written completely for children. Until they change that and take the step to make it grown up sci-fi/fantasy instead of for ten year olds, it will circle the drain until it gets cancelled.

Back
Top Bottom