Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Soldato
I prefer it on PS4 purely for the controller. I usually favour my XB1 with Elite controller for more intense driving/shooting games but find the PS4 controller better for adventure/exploring type games when you can have a more relaxed grip.

That may be purely down to preference/hand size etc tho but I always notice the difference with these type of games
Is it the X you have? I think I could get used to either controller TBH I just wondered if its really worth the upgrade graphically.
Thanks

Soldato
just standard ps4 and xb1 - it's the other way round for the standard consoles...better res on the PS4 than the xb1 but it's the controller that makes the difference for me.

Usually I'd say that once you're immersed in the game the graphics are less important, that's still true with RDR2 but there's so much riding/exploring/generally just looking at how cool everything is....thast the better graphics prob matters more than usual.

However buying a new console is maybe a bit much!

Soldato
It doesn't look bad on either the Pro or OneX, but it is noticeably better on xbox.

Im not sure its worth buying a new console if you already have a PS4 pro, but then again, i thought the game was trash.

Personally I thing the best feature of Xbox one X is BC, they've done a lot of work X enhancing older 360 titles, Red dead 1 looks particularly good considering its age.
It's the original fat PS4 I have not the pro version.

Associate
Since you've finished the game (I am on Chapter 3), can I ask some spoilerish questions?
I sadly found out a good while ago about Arthur's future but know little of how it all happens. I have heard that money doesn't transfer over - I've got about 7k on me at present, which I worked hard for and I know I am a long way away from endgame but does his possessions (guns/outfits/horses) transfer over to John? I truly hope so otherwise I am wasting my time playing with outfits so early on in...especially all the trapper outfits I've been trying to get!

Hey Kainz
Cash will be lost, I was gutted had over 13k with Arthur. Arthur's horse get killed, emotional cinematic! :(

ALL stabled horses are gone also.

Luckily ALL weapons/outfits will transfer over to John. My advice will be to keep a lot of items(valuables) in Arthurs satchel and don't sell them before the end of Chapter 6, they will transfer across and can be sold/crafted with John.

Soldato
Hey Kainz
Cash will be lost, I was gutted had over 13k with Arthur. Arthur's horse get killed, emotional cinematic! :(

ALL stabled horses are gone also.

Luckily ALL weapons/outfits will transfer over to John. My advice will be to keep a lot of items(valuables) in Arthurs satchel and don't sell them before the end of Chapter 6, they will transfer across and can be sold/crafted with John.

Thanks a lot mate.
So it looks like you do need to spend your cash on anything and everything...what a mess it sounds :(

Not at all pleased with the losing of the horse. I've had the pre-order Ardennes warhorse since the start of the game and I'd hate to lose it. Got an odd feeling it'll appear for John in the stables but we'll see in future I guess.

I've been avoiding gold bars and treasure hunts as I wanted to save those for John once the game ends.

Thanks a lot for the heads up. You've helped resolve my future concerns.

Soldato
Thanks a lot mate.
So it looks like you do need to spend your cash on anything and everything...what a mess it sounds :(

Not at all pleased with the losing of the horse. I've had the pre-order Ardennes warhorse since the start of the game and I'd hate to lose it. Got an odd feeling it'll appear for John in the stables but we'll see in future I guess.

I've been avoiding gold bars and treasure hunts as I wanted to save those for John once the game ends.

Thanks a lot for the heads up. You've helped resolve my future concerns.

You can still collect the gold bars, just don't sell them. Valuables aren't lost only money. You also get a LOT of money during the epilogue so it's really not an issue. Losing my horse on the other hand, that stung :(

Soldato
If i could say for definite that it would come out on PC I would probably hold off but there's it good chance it might not happen as the first one never made it to PC.

Nobody can say for definite until Rockstar themselves do, but I'd say it's extremely like to get a PC release. There's no reason for it not to really.

Soldato
Take multiple horses when hunting and use them for storing kills.

You'll be able to buy upgraded satchels from the Fence (got mine from Saint Denis) although this was at a later part of the game.

RDR2 is a masterpiece, the attention to details is incredible and game still looks amazing after weeks of playing.

I've been purposely avoiding the main story for weeks so I don't finish it, even had someone from the camp come find me and gave me the option to fast-track back at one point! lol

Doing every side quest, hunting, treasure hunts (got 12k from this lol) solving murder mysteries and collecting Dinosaur bone locations (got a cool hunting dagger for completing this) I can find.

I'm 87% overall game complete, currently on epilogue part 2.

Found the later Chapters 4-6 a lot quicker to complete then previous one.

Any cash Arthur had, you will lose when he dies (I had 13k!!..) and John starts with nothing... Once you get over this, later on playing with John you'll inherit 20k which is enough to buy anything.
I just dont know how to find these extra missions, i have only just stumbled on the bounties from the local sherrif, hunting seems impossible always end up with a poor skin, and then how do you find specific animals.

I want to do all the satchel upgrades where do you go, the guy in camp has padlocks next to everything.

Soldato
I just dont know how to find these extra missions, i have only just stumbled on the bounties from the local sherrif, hunting seems impossible always end up with a poor skin, and then how do you find specific animals.

I want to do all the satchel upgrades where do you go, the guy in camp has padlocks next to everything.

Finding the animals is just a case of exploring the map (you will see the animal outlines on the map as you explore). Getting perfect skins is a case of using the right weapon (arrows are always good, varmint rifle for small animals, a powerful rifle for larger ones) and killing them with a single headshot. There is also a trinket you can make that helps get better quality skins but you need to kill the legendary buck to make it.

Exploration is the best part of the game in my view, the world R* created is incredible, the missions are more of a mixed bag.

Soldato

I don't blame you for being a bit lost, I was in the same boat and Rockstar games do an absolutely crap job always at explaining mechanics. Some may like it this way, but others with less time on their hands won't. I am on Chapter 3 and spend a lot of time trying to deviate from the main (yellow markers) quests as I want to stretch out the game and really learn everything I can.

This is a guide that explains a good amount of mechanics without getting spoilery so use it if you wish. I needed it because the Satchels stuff wasn't explained too well and now I have them all. Still haven't fully mastered hunting though - all animals behave differently so I am currently working on getting all the trapper resources for his gear!

https://www.shacknews.com/article/108104/red-dead-redemption-2-walkthrough-and-guide
https://www.shacknews.com/article/108167/complete-hunting-guide-red-dead-redemption-2

Going to cut and paste from a reddit post of mine that had a few tips:

* Perfect pelts is easy once you have the Buck Antler trinket - however the trinket seems to really increase the quality of small-mid animal pelts only.

* Be sure to hunt birds for their Flight Feathers as you can use these to create Small Game arrows to kill the smaller critters as that's the best way for perfect pelts for them.

* I used a Springfield rifle for mid sized animals such as deers, cougars, bison, gators. I rarely used the Varmint but found it was the only way I could get a perfect kill on those dreaded Beavers.

* Be sure to use Dead Eye and target their red shaded regions - primarily their heads for a fatal one shot kill.

Keep at it and as you learn each animals weak spots killing them and getting those perfect pelts will be easier.

Soldato
I'm on chapter 2 still and trying to prolong everything as I don't want the game to end:p
It's just so immersive and atmospheric, everything I could hope for as a fan of RDR 1.
I really like the deliberate slowness of it all, the banter at the camp, hunting, learning about animals/plants, riding around, taking care of my horse, enjoying all the details etc. At the same time I can appreciate something more fast-paced and lighter like Odyssey but everything people said was a problem about RDR2 hasn't been a problem for me at all so far. Quite the contrary.

The graphics and weather are incredible, they really add to the experience along with the sound, great music and meticulous animations.
It's the same feeling RDR 1 gave me, doing really simple things that should be tedious at times but having fun in the process.

Soldato
I'm on chapter 2 still and trying to prolong everything as I don't want the game to end:p
It's just so immersive and atmospheric, everything I could hope for as a fan of RDR 1.
I really like the deliberate slowness of it all, the banter at the camp, hunting, learning about animals/plants, riding around, taking care of my horse, enjoying all the details etc. At the same time I can appreciate something more fast-paced and lighter like Odyssey but everything people said was a problem about RDR2 hasn't been a problem for me at all so far. Quite the contrary.

The graphics and weather are incredible, they really add to the experience along with the sound, great music and meticulous animations.
It's the same feeling RDR 1 gave me, doing really simple things that should be tedious at times but having fun in the process.
Agree with everything. Coming from faster paced Odyssey at first was very jarring in every area and RDR2 just felt wrong, until it gradually felt perfect. I spent about 2.5weeks on Chapter 2 just doing exactly what you're doing now and it was an amazing experience. The weather and lighting system is just amazing - I was in a bar in Van Horn and it was raining outside and then all of a sudden I saw the folks react in shock to a lightening bolt that had landed outside somewhere close by because the windows lit up. Even the live musician stopped playing!

As said I'm on Chapter 3 now and spend most of my time roaming the lands and trying to complete the challenges. Much to my surprise I am still encountering new events and strangers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish the Trapper and Fences were a little more central, I'm led to believe they do roam around and set up in towns but not seen that myself yet, its just such a chore having to trek to a trapper as the fast travel by train does not even reach their locations.

Soldato
I held off on buying RDR2 at launch because I was pretty busy at the time and had other games I was playing, but a family member got it for me for Christmas. I'm loving it so far. I thought AC: Odyssey, God of War and Spider-Man would be hard to top as my three favourite games of last year, but this is definitely the best of the bunch imo. The scale and depth of the game is very impressive, nearly all the characters are engaging, interesting and well voiced, the script maybe isn't quite as sharp as some GTA games, but it's still strong, the visuals look superb without HDR turned on (HDR looked really washed out on my TV) and there is so much to do, I can see myself playing it for hours and hours after completing the story.

I'm on chapter 3. I'm trying to mix together hunting, main missions, side quests and general challenges so that I don't get through the story too fast. I don't have too many gripes or issues with the game so far, but I do wish there was more of a fast travel mechanic involved. Having completed AC: Odyssey prior to playing RDR2, the lack of proper fast travel in RDR2 is pretty noticeable. I know you can take stage coaches and unlock fast travel at the camp, but it's not quite as good as it could be. Hunting legendary animals has been fun, but it takes ages to get to some of the animals you need to hunt. I know some people have had issues with the controls but after tweaking them a bit I don't see a problem.

Associate

Here's a very helpful map with locations I've used throughout the game, use the marker category to minimise, it's pretty accurate on the map and helped no end: https://uk.ign.com/maps/red-dead-redemption-2/world

You'll need to upgrade Leather Working Tools in camp by using the Ledger which unlocks the satchel and camp upgrades.

Top Tip: you can accidentally overlook missions if you don't read certain documents handed to you in your satchel, once read, they will appear on the map. Good example is the Legendary Gunslinger mission(s) which require you to read the notes handed to you before they appear on the map.

Soldato
Nobody can say for definite until Rockstar themselves do, but I'd say it's extremely like to get a PC release. There's no reason for it not to really.

I was only thinking because they never released the first one.

I spotted a couple month old Xbox one X for sale with the game locally. It really is beautiful on One X ( once I turned off HDR and set up my TV to suit) the console is whisper quiet too. I'm also very surprised by Atmos being so much better as it already sounded great on playstation.

Struggling to adapt to the xbox controller though.

Soldato
I managed to get RDR 2 for Christmas, only managed to have a go last night due to the busy Xmas period, only done two missions, the first with the gang at the house and finding John on the rocks. The controls feel very clunky, hopefully the more I play I'll get used to it, but from my very limited experience of the game, I'm not raving about it.

Soldato
I managed to get RDR 2 for Christmas, only managed to have a go last night due to the busy Xmas period, only done two missions, the first with the gang at the house and finding John on the rocks. The controls feel very clunky, hopefully the more I play I'll get used to it, but from my very limited experience of the game, I'm not raving about it.
I'm not enjoying it as much as i had hoped, i'm finding the controls annoying, one instance in a shoot out enemy runs up to me and i cant melee him, guess you need to put your gun away first.
I'm finding i'm missing loads as i don't know what i'm supposed to be doing other than the main missions, there doesn't seem to be a decent way of tracking what your doing.
The hunting that everyone raves about i dont like, i open my satchel and have meats but cant figure out how to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom