*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I'm using three US-8-150W switches in a few rooms where fanless switches are needed, elsewhere I've gone for a couple of US-24-250W switches where (given that it's at home) sound isn't an issue. Other than that I've got three UAP Pros and a USG which works well with the current 80Mb/Sec FTTP with HG612 internet, if the Internet speed should increase I'll move to the next model up.

They seem to be coping well with the heat, the two 24 ports are in the understairs cupboard and the attic, both are warm areas and despite having no overheating messages I've since modified the cases and added a couple of extra fans, as for the 8 ports, two are in nice cool locations and the third is in the garage that does get warm but as yet no overheating messages - no idea why I didn't go for the 16 port as sound level isn't an issue, but at least but it suits my needs. My main reason for this setup was due to PoE being a necessity due to the APs, SIP phones, CCTV and a few other devices on the network.

When I first installed I monitored avidly the temperatures - sometimes a bit scary as it is processor temp not case temp but it's understandable why. A good bit of advice though is get more ports on switches than you need, 72 ports in all (some uplinks) and I've pretty much run out of ports.

Associate
If you’re swapping out your access points for UAP-XG then you don’t want the US-16-XG you want the US-XG-6 PoE which 10GbE PoE.
The US-8-150W will always run hot but if you stack it or put it in a warm place then yes, chances are it may start shutting down PoE ports.

Definatly not thinking of the UAP-XG Access points that's WAY over kill for home use i was thinking of the AC Pro.

Where are you getting your pricing with a £200 differential between the US-48-500W and the US-48/US-8-150W combination? I see £100 - £120 depending which distributor I look at.
Cant say as they are a competitor but they are the first place iv looked so far, i will be looking around.. If you can let me know if you know of a good place to look that would be great.

Soldato
Definatly not thinking of the UAP-XG Access points that's WAY over kill for home use i was thinking of the AC Pro.

Cant say as they are a competitor but they are the first place iv looked so far, i will be looking around.. If you can let me know if you know of a good place to look that would be great.

If you’re in the market to pay that much for AP’s I have seen it people recommend the Nano HD over the Pro.

Caporegime
I'm just trying out the ISP on the USG (I know it slows your connection but I'm on BT so don't hit the max anyway).

gz2hgZG.png

Does this mean the threat was detected and blocked/prevented? Or does it mean it was detected and allowed until I come along and block the IP (as I've subsequently done)?

Soldato
Received my us-24 (non-poe) switch today and hooked it into my Linux VM running the controller software. Overall from the little I've been able to play with it so far I'm very impressed with it.

More bits coming tomorrow and next week.

Soldato
I'm just trying out the ISP on the USG (I know it slows your connection but I'm on BT so don't hit the max anyway).
Does this mean the threat was detected and blocked/prevented? Or does it mean it was detected and allowed until I come along and block the IP (as I've subsequently done)?

I am guessing you mean IPS / IDS, if running IDS it is just Intrusion Detection System, ie does nothing about it but tells you, IPS Intrusion Prevention System should prevent / block the attack if its a known signature, depending on your rules.

As for speed, unless you have g.fast or FTTP the USG should handle ADSL and normal VDSL no problem with IPS enabled.

Caporegime
Duh yeah, I meant IPS. And re speed I can get up to 400Mb/sec Virgin here but have 70/20 BT Vdsl so no worries on the speed with my current connection. I think I'm right in that I read with IPS running it will top out around 85Mb/sec? Yer I did. The Unifi ui :p.

I would have expected the IPS traffic log to have mentioned that it was blocking the traffic thats all, I guess.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hum, am struggling to find poe injectors for unifi cameras (g3). Even the official word is confusing - the forums suggest the poe injectors for the WAPs don't work in all circumstances, and someone bought a 3rd party tplink one, but I'm a bit loathed to do that. Anyone running a camera via poe injector?

Hum, maybe the Nanoswitch is what I need as it supports poe passthrough. Kinda expensive for a single camera though. The others are powered from the main switch.

Soldato
Just a quick question, need to link two buildings and can’t use fiber. Buildings are only 30m apart. Can’t seem to work out if I need a pair of Nanostations or Nanobeams. What would you suggest and in what environment would you pick one over the other?

Ubiquiti have a lot of stuff to pick from.

Soldato
Best advice would be speak to Ubiquiti tech support, I am sure they could recommend the best solution once you provide all the info, if you have clear line of sight between the buildings there should be a few options available.

Associate
Hi All

Just wanted to pick everyones brains...

I have Virgin 350mb. On a desktop wired connection, I get the full 350mb DL and 20mb UL

I have a Ubiquiti UAC AP LR in the downstairs hallway, wired back to the switch.

Literally underneath the AP I only get 200/20 or so. With clear line of sight etc

Upstairs, it seems the signal degrades rapidly, and I am down to 20/20

Interestingly the upload is always at 20mb or so .

The house is not that big, modern, plasterboard walls type 2000's house.

Have I picked the wrong AP ? Surely, even next to the AP, I should get the 350 ?

R

Mehul

Soldato
Have I picked the wrong AP ? Surely, even next to the AP, I should get the 350 ?

What device and how many devices do you have connected, are they 2.4GHz or 5GHz and what channels do you have your AP set too and how busy are those channels in your area.

The AP-AC-LR is rated to 450Mbps on 2.4GHz and 867Mbps at 5GHz but those are best case and largely dependant on outside factors, ie congestion, noise etc

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

Soldato
I've got 3 of the UVC-G3-AF, which supports 802.3af/24v according to its spec sheet, so as far as I can tell the PoE-24-12W should support it.

Are you referring to the PoE-24-250W, the data sheet on page 8 states both 802.3af and 24v passive support, look at the bottom of page 8 for which modes are supported on which ports, your cameras only need 4-9W so well within what the switch can supply, it shouldnt be an issue, have you configured the PoE state on the ports through the controller software, you can also log into the switch via SSH and monitor the power status of the PoE ports, change config and power cycle them.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_PoE_Switch.pdf

Soldato
Anyone have any experience with Purple wifi or similar as a public gateway (pub/Restaurant)

Our wifi in the bar is via the providers Router and is poor. I have 2 sites one of top of each other. The subterranean site is under 17inches of concrete roof and can only get copper cables so limited to 20meg. However upstairs can get fibre.

I'm after a AP and have ubiquiti stuff at home.. But I could do with an easy almost plug and play solution.

Back
Top Bottom