BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
What's the upload speed on BT ?

Am I likely to get a better deal if I call up BT sales and speak to someone rather than buying online ?

The other option Virgin media 350mb for £50 a month for 12 months.

Just noticed your question hadn’t really been answered, the combination of online + Quidco/TCB can’t be beaten by sales unless someone ran over your dog/cat/rabbit. Upload speeds depend on the line length in the case of g.fast it’s 29Mbit upload on the lower profile and 49Mbit on the higher - in this respect g.fast is superior to FTTP assuming both deliver the maximum, in practice it depends how close to the pod you are and how much you value upload over download.

Man of Honour
It’s been active on the checker since about Black Friday - the news of its existence caused me to check it and discover I could have g.fast - a day I remember well!

Must be a phased rollout or something - I've been checking mine and a few other properties over the last few weeks as we are moving house and it hadn't appeared on any of them upto 2-3 days ago when I last checked - now there for the ones I've rechecked including my own.

Caporegime
Must be a phased rollout or something - I've been checking mine and a few other properties over the last few weeks as we are moving house and it hadn't appeared on any of them upto 2-3 days ago when I last checked - now there for the ones I've rechecked including my own.
I’ve only noticed it on BT or BT Wholesale numbers. It doesn’t work on Sky or Talk Talk numbers but then the checker has never worked on LLU numbers, only address details.

Man of Honour
I’ve only noticed it on BT or BT Wholesale numbers. It doesn’t work on Sky or Talk Talk numbers but then the checker has never worked on LLU numbers, only address details.

Yeah I assumed that - mine are on BT and I have 1-2 other numbers for BT - some of them I've only been able to check via address and it doesn't have it.

Soldato
Just seen Talk Talk do a Faster 300 Fibre product for £50 a month, slightly cheaper than BT. Average speed 290Mb/40Mb.

The response I got from Talk Talk online chat was not what I wanted to hear;

Due to the high demand of services in your area, the exchange is currently full. I would suggest you try again in a few weeks as we are always updating our services.
The exchange has not yet been upgraded for TalkTalk to provide you with services at the moment.

Hopefully BT don't give the same response.

Why would the install the GPON terminal under the stairs in the house if the exchange is full ?!?!

Soldato
Just seen Talk Talk do a Faster 300 Fibre product for £50 a month, slightly cheaper than BT. Average speed 290Mb/40Mb.

Due to the high demand of services in your area, the exchange is currently full. I would suggest you try again in a few weeks as we are always updating our services.
The exchange has not yet been upgraded for TalkTalk to provide you with services at the moment.

Why would the install the GPON terminal under the stairs in the house if the exchange is full ?!?!

TalkTalk fibre is routed via their network in the exchange. If it's at full capacity, you won't be able to order it.

I bet if you tried to order it via BT you wouldn't have an issue.

Soldato

Are you sure you’re trying to order the correct product? FTTP would be 330/30, 290/40 sounds like g.fast unless i’m mistaken, obviously you aren’t getting g.fast on an FTTP install.

Caporegime
Anyone using Zen internet and happy? I've heard good things about them. I can get the same package I'm on BT with for £20 less so if its decent its almost a no brainer.

Associate
We as in me and my dad signed up for zen internet on the 15 of December 2018.

49484267_10156952972697375_7174441262479572992_n.jpg

Picture above is the zen fritz box 7530 which is a half decent router a lot better than sky or virgin media router for sure and we are waiting for the telephone exchange to remotely activate the service.

We went with fttc 80/20 service from zen, i will let you know what i think about their service.

More pictures below, showing the router page one from the virgin media superhub 3 and the zen fritzbox 7530.

49206612_10156953217632375_8480733390641823744_o.jpg

49503110_10156953213732375_5271468732546285568_o.jpg

Dan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom