Doctor Who

Soldato
Associate
I thought that was a pretty dreadful episode must say. Sad as had a fair bit of potential. A good idea just executed very poorly. The cringe moments were coming in thick and fast.

I particularly loathed the way the Dalek could take on a large group of soldiers along with an APC at one point (via some miracle weapon) only to later get outsmarted by a charge followed by some literal hugging and pushing about peter cushing style.

Utter crap.

Caporegime
Didn't Doctor Who start around the same time, if not earlier, in the 60's? I remember watching it in the 80's as a child, on Saturdays and then on Mondays at a later time IIRC, and it's always been aimed at the same demographic which is the family.

Caporegime
I thought that was a pretty dreadful episode must say. Sad as had a fair bit of potential. A good idea just executed very poorly. The cringe moments were coming in thick and fast.

I particularly loathed the way the Dalek could take on a large group of soldiers along with an APC at one point (via some miracle weapon) only to later get outsmarted by a charge followed by some literal hugging and pushing about peter cushing style.

Utter crap.

In other episodes the dalek was capable of vapourising someone if they even touched it's casing. But I suppose the argument for that is it was cobbled together...despite having a functioning hidden missile system.

Just a classic example of them putting a dalek in a episode, show off it's power then have it be defeated in an utterly farsical manner.

Then again it's not really all that different from all other dalek encounters, their number one enemy is the doctor and they would rather have a long winded conversation instead of just blasting him and being done with him.

Associate
Start of this series: 10.9 million viewers (all)
New Year’s Eve: 5.15 (just overnight)

Considering it had the daleks in it too and is perceived by people in the forum as a children’s/family show (therefore not too affected by the nights merryment) that is a hell of a dip.

Capaldi’s last episode in summer 2017: 5.3
Capaldi’schristmas episode: 7.9 (but was a regeneration)

Really don’t think the viewing figures are holding up. The audience is there for a female doctor (hence the initial viewing figures for the start of the season) but all the promises of better writing (the number of times Broadchurch was mentioned before this series started was unreal) and having more to the series doesn’t hold up.

There is an audience for doctor who, people are willing to try it, but it just isn’t what people want it to be. It is like it is caught by its time slot and who it wants to be for. It certainly isn’t aimed at an older audience now with all the references to mates and fam, this doctor is clearly trying to appeal to a teenage audience, but let’s face it, how many older people actually get away with using language like that before it gets cringeworthy and even kids say stop trying to be cool. It is like it is trying too hard - certainly with the writers being so proud of not using enemies from previous seasons...

Oh and purely using stand alone episodes and no clear arc doesn’t help the episode to episode viewing figures. Missing an episode doesn’t matter, and once you miss one, how many episodes this season have made you think you are really looking forward to the next? It too easy to lose the audience as they just forget about it. One bad episode is all it takes to hurt the ongoing audience. And Sheffield needs to stop. Being from Yorkshire it was fun for an episode, but always coming back to one place isn’t good for the series. Only so much can happen there!

Associate
To give an example of the writing and how it annoys people. Take the dalek being cut in to 3 and split across the world. That was certainly insinuated that the 3 bits warped together to form the whole dalek. That is just completely off cannon and makes the dalek seem virtually indestructible. That is fairly easy to rewrite and just have them find a unique tomb, a metal box as a casing holding the dalek which is dormant inside. Keep the fact it was from a time long ago, but then at least you are not going to annoy the longer term fans of the series and keep breaking the suspension of disbelief that they seem to do again and again and again.
If you want to have a dalek rebuild itself, choose somewhere other than a farm to do it. Again, make it somewhat believable. It isn’t that episodes are unsavable, it is almost just like there isn’t someone who is willing to say it doesn’t work as well as it could and wouldn’t it be better if...

Associate
so the Dr builds a sonic screwdriver with the aid of of a big hammer and a forge , a Dalek builds a hole advance power suit with the aid of a big hammer and a forge. Can't wait to read a story in the paper (in real life) of some kin trying to fix their Ipad with a big hammer and forge/fireplace cause they saw it on TV :)

Soldato
No, it's a children's show as i previously stated - it's just fortunate that it appeals to the sci-fi community too.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/201...ven-moffat-but-that-doesnt-mean-its-childish/

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/23702/why-doctor-who-is-for-children
The programme was originally intended to appeal to a family audience as an educational programme using time travel as a means to explore scientific ideas and famous moments in history.

It was not a children's show .

Man of Honour
It was a new type of Dalek and also the story explained that being under the UV light restored the Dalek.

New to us the viewer, but not new in terms of Daleks I think. Didnt the Doctor say that the recon daleks were some of the first daleks to leave Skaro. So whilst its a brand new type of dalek to us, its possibly one of the oldest types of Daleks in terms of the lore.

Soldato
The programme was originally intended to appeal to a family audience as an educational programme using time travel as a means to explore scientific ideas and famous moments in history.

It was not a children's show .

From Steven Moffat (who may know a little bit more about Doctor Who than you or I)

Of course it’s a children’s show

Doctor Who may have been originally created as a kids’ show, but that doesn’t mean it’s childish. It’s intelligent, at times complex, well written and very funny. It deals with some pretty weighty issues, too – loss, loneliness and death.

But tbh - i don't really care, i just enjoy the show for what it is and am just grateful it is back on our TV.

Soldato
Dr who is commissioned for the Drama department as family viewing. Not the children's TV department which is specifically intend for a child audience.

Back
Top Bottom