Veganuary?

Soldato
I sponsored a vegan doing a New Year Day dip in the north sea in aid of some vegan animal rights charity that I don't even think was a real charity. They uploaded a video to Facebook and all they did was run in up to their ankles and ran back out. I'm like WTF I want my £2 back!

Caporegime
I'm not a vegan, In fact I eat meat far too much because it's so nomnom

But I've no problem with promoting healthier/vegetarian/vegan eating. It's better for the planet, even if it's not so good for our taste buds

My wife is lactose intolerant so tends to eat vegan food from restaurants, even though she isn't an actual vegan.

I wish I could enjoy veg as much as meat, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Soldato
I'll stick to my steaks thanks, something on the BBC now about it.

Surely the cultivation of crops for vegans are as harmful to the environment as cattle farming.

There is a massive difference. If you'd read the BBC article you'd see figures like these....

3a7h7Mn.png

Source: http://www.greeneatz.com/foods-carbon-footprint.html

Going full vegan seems excessive, but if everyone thought about what they ate, and ate a bit less, then it would really help everyone. I never get why everyone gets so angry in threads like these. Essentially the human consumption of meat is partly killing the planet and any effort to reduce it can only be a good thing, however every time anyone suggests cutting down at all people nail their steaks to their chest and cry, "over my cow's dead body". Baffling really.

Caporegime
Going full vegan seems excessive, but if everyone thought about what they ate, and ate a bit less, then it would really help everyone. I never get why everyone gets so angry in threads like these. Essentially the human consumption of meat is partly killing the planet and any effort to reduce it can only be a good thing, however every time anyone suggests cutting down at all people nail their steaks to their chest and cry, "over my cow's dead body". Baffling really.

Well said

What negative impact does Veganuary have on the OP? Why get angry about it?

Caporegime
Well said

It's not the lifestyle choices or beliefs that irritate me, it's the mindset surrounding it - "I don't eat meat therefore I am morally superior and will inconvenience meat eaters whenever I can", this is the same mindset that has resulted in many of the stupid things we face as a society. The second someone tells me they're a vegan they have one more chance to shut up about it or I'm walking away, I don't care who it is. You life, your choices. My life, my choices. If you can't respect that then I have no time for you.

Soldato
Well said

I don't see any anger, I see someone asking a question. Are you projecting?

Personally I don't really care what people eat as long as it's nobody I know.. but I don't take kindly to people who feel they have to tell me how to eat or expect me to care about their dietary habits. I'm not religious, I'm sure I'll never be that into vegetables either..

Soldato
Seems pretty angry to me, and the tone of other posts is pretty defensive. And there have been enough of these threads over the years to know which way its going to go.

Seemingly only if you hang out in GD constantly which I certainly don't. Nothing in his text was angry. It seems very odd to draw that conclusion.

If anything he was tongue in cheek by suggesting meat eaters need a month too.

Soldato
Seriously? Do we really need a month for this? I want to raise awareness for meat eaters, who is up for Meatrurary?

I'll stick to my steaks thanks, something on the BBC now about it.

Surely the cultivation of crops for vegans are as harmful to the environment as cattle farming.

Logic and reasoning are about as alien to vegans as a nice tomahawk steak covered in bacons and cheese.

Worse than religionists imo, just **** off and leave us carnivores alone.

I sponsored a vegan doing a New Year Day dip in the north sea in aid of some vegan animal rights charity that I don't even think was a real charity. They uploaded a video to Facebook and all they did was run in up to their ankles and ran back out. I'm like WTF I want my £2 back!

Four of the first five posts were either people being annoyed, lying or aggressive. Not great.

I've got no problem with veganism. It's better for the planet. They're not stopping me from eating meat, and I've never had a vegan be 'militant' to me either.

Back
Top Bottom