Case fan for Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X

Associate
Hi!

I would like to replace the fans in my newly purchased Phanteks Evolv X.
I want the fans to be quiet and it would be good if the performance is high/strong.

What do you recommend?

Thank you

Soldato
I'm going to assume you have not used the case yet .. because the included 3x fans are about as good as it gets. They are quiet and have good high/strong performance. Use all three as front intakes speed controlled to cycle with component fans as load/component temps increase. If you really want to get into case airflow you might find the below link to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest. The simple, low-cost temperature probe helps determine air temp into component while setting up system, then it's not needed.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

I have my Evolv X setup with the stock case fans in front, PH-TC14PE on 6700K with KFA2 GTX 770 LTD OC w/ 25mm thick fan mod. System is pretty much silent unless I'm doing serious graphics rendering when fans spin fast enough to be just barely heard over background noise in quiet room (30-32dB ambient noise level).

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if you get the same fans in that Enthoo as you get in the Micro ATX model, but I found the supplied Phanteks 140mm fans to be too loud for my liking.

I replaced one of them (intake) with a 120mm Bitfenix Spectre and and the other (exhaust) with a 140mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro. Both PWM and set to spin at various speeds depending on CPU temp, and basically silent.

Soldato
Depends on how old your Evolv mATX is. First came with PH-F140SP, and newer ones have no model number, PH-F140SP motor and housing with PH-F140MP impeller. Below 00-900rpm they are quiet to just audible in 30-32dB ambient noise level room, but the faster they spin the more noise they make, same as other fans. They speed up to about 950-1000rpm (approx 33-35dB) when stress testing at about 70c in 22c room so nice temps and not at all loud. In summer months I expect 1000-1100rpm and a little louder when room is 23-25c maintaining same temps (high room temps were last summer in Enthoo Luxe with same no model number fans). To me that is so reasonable temps and just enough noise to let me know system is working hard.

Associate
I'm quite big on silence. Case is about a metre from the side of my head so I really want it as quiet as possible. The fans I got were 3 pin so were fixed speed.

I bought my case a month ago so I should hope it's a 'newer one',

Soldato
Fixed speed case fans is not conducive to having a silent system. The only time system needs case and component fans to spin very fast (900-1100rpm) is when components (CPU & GPU) are working hard. I think most all systems have component cooler fans speed controlled by component temperature, and it's simple logic to have the case fans that are supplying cool air to components and moving their heated exhaust away and out of case to be speed controlled in the same way .. so case fans supply airflow as needed by components. That way fans are all at low speed and quiet unless system is being worked at 70+% load when all fans need to spin faster.

Associate
They were fixed speed, as in not PWM, as in constantly at a higher speed than they needed to be, as in too loud, so I replaced them with PWM fans which now run mostly at low RPM unless temps rise.

Soldato
They were fixed speed, as in not PWM, as in constantly at a higher speed than they needed to be, as in too loud, so I replaced them with PWM fans which now run mostly at low RPM unless temps rise.
I guess you are too young to know that variable voltage speed control instead of PWM speed control is what all fans were before PWM speed controlled fans came out about 15 years ago and became quite common about 8-10 years ago.

Soldato
So fans were not 'fixed speed' but variable voltage control instead of PWM control. What fans were they and what motherboard do you have? There are a few motherboards that only have PWM fan headers now, but they are rare .. and a Phantek PWM fan hub works quite well converting PWM control to control variable voltage fans.

Soldato
I'm using 1 of the supplied phanteks 140mm for the rear and 6x 120mm Noiseblockers for the front and top radiators. Loudest thing in the pc is now the pump or my old storage drive when I access that.

Associate
So fans were not 'fixed speed' but variable voltage control instead of PWM control. What fans were they and what motherboard do you have? There are a few motherboards that only have PWM fan headers now, but they are rare .. and a Phantek PWM fan hub works quite well converting PWM control to control variable voltage fans.

Asrock B450M-HDV. 2 x Phanteks 140mm fans supplied with case. Motherboard only has 3 x 4 pin fan headers. One of them is for the CPU cooler, one for chassis fan and the other for Pump/chassis fan. All of them are 4 pin.

Soldato
Asrock B450M-HDV. 2 x Phanteks 140mm fans supplied with case. Motherboard only has 3 x 4 pin fan headers. One of them is for the CPU cooler, one for chassis fan and the other for Pump/chassis fan. All of them are 4 pin.
Just for FYI, fan headers being 4-pin does not mean they are PWM. Many are not or can be set to be PWM or variable voltage.

A quick scan of Asrock B459M-HDV manual shows fan header CHA_FAN1 is 4-pin but can auto-select PWM or variable voltage fans .. so can be used for PWM or variable voltage, and CHA_FAN2 is 3-pin so only voltage. I may have missed others, but at the very least you have 2 fan header that can or are variable voltage for fan speed control.

Back
Top Bottom