you didn't ask the father did you?

Associate
Yes I asked as we had a few beers! Probably harder than asking my wife when I got to the point......no it wasn’t it took 4 attempts on holiday! Not good at public things!

Soldato
No I didn't. We'd lived together for 7 years had kids owned a house together and had been a couple for 9 years. Seemed a bit redundant asking her dad at that point.
Very small wedding, 11 of us in total including the kids. Really nice and hassle free.

Soldato
I didn't bother asking my FIL, didn't think it was necessary as it wasn't a decision for him to make. Think it is a bit of an old fashioned tradition now and wouldn't be surprised to see it falling by the wayside in the next few years. I certainly wouldn't expect my daughters partner to ask me in the future (she is only 19 months old so a way off yet!)

Man of Honour
i think if i have to do it it would be this
pop round and say i'm going to ask X to marry me, just letting you know :p

In my situation my then girlfriends father had been a bit of a tough task master with previous boyfriends, who seemed to have been trodden over a bit. I tend to be a typical alpha male and back then was tall and very fit so carried that extra 'presence' I guess....and I also had a 1.6L company Cavalier, so was able to show I was MASSIVELY successful. It was simply me doing the Scum thing... "I'm the daddy now" :D

He probably will have a different view so don't tell him or he might smash me face in :D

Soldato
I asked because it's what she would have wanted me to do, I would have told him before hand anyway as a mark of respect I think. His response was "Well you were going to get around to it at some point weren't you?" so I don't think he was overly bothered :D.

Caporegime
Yup, asked her mum. I took a good hour of waffle before broaching the subject due to nerves, and apparently she even prompted me but went over my head.

Associate
I wouldn't ask. It's 2019 and his daughter is not his possession. It's her decision and hers alone, her father has no place denying or allowing her hand in marriage.

Associate
No, I didn't ask him...my wife is perfectly capable of making her own decisions and she isn't her father's property. My father-in-law never complained about not being asked. My wife and I are celebrating our 10-year wedding anniversary this Summer, so it's not been an issue.

Back
Top Bottom