• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
Or just preference. I've always done it this way in Afterburner because if your fan is constantly changing, the pitch and general sound it makes will also constantly change. If it's only switching between 2 or 3 static values the change is far less annoying and noticeable IMO.

Because of the limited points it's not the same.
Also, while I can understand people having it as a preference with a proper fan set up with multiple static points, that isn't the case here as it's not an option of static or dynamic, nor is it as flexible as AB because of the lack of extra points.

Playing "The Division" at the moment is fine, as I've got the points where I want them for that game. However with something like FM19 I'd need to create a separate fan set up because it's just revving between X and Y constantly.

Either way, it's not as refined as MSI AB.

Soldato
Also, while I can understand people having it as a preference with a proper fan set up with multiple static points, that isn't the case here as it's not an option of static or dynamic, nor is it as flexible as AB because of the lack of extra points.

Playing "The Division" at the moment is fine, as I've got the points where I want them for that game. However with something like FM19 I'd need to create a separate fan set up because it's just revving between X and Y constantly.

Create an application profile so the fan setup loads up with that game.

Permabanned
Or just preference. I've always done it this way in Afterburner because if your fan is constantly changing, the pitch and general sound it makes will also constantly change. If it's only switching between 2 or 3 static values the change is far less annoying and noticeable IMO.

Create an application profile so the fan setup loads up with that game.

I've done that.
Doesn't change the fact that it's less refined than it could (Should) be.

I do agree, right now it takes extra work trying to get that sweet spot.

I prefer it as it is with the 18.12.1 & older package, I've always preferred to take the easiest route to get things set up but Vega's been anything but, I've never bothered messing with fan settings unless I have to so setting the old fan version in Radeon to a max of 61% did the trick, I brieflly messed around with the new fan curve before rolling back my drivers & hated it, Static curve points sounds like a step backwards to me.

Soldato
Dose anyone have a sapphire r9 nitro 390 8gb at all? I'm trying to install the latest drivers and it just sits there on detecting hardware.

I used the AMD driver utility to remove the previous drivers in safe mode and then rebooted in to windows to install the latest drivers but they refuse to install

This is on windows 7 64 bit

Edit......I clicked custom install and this bypassed the hardware checking and installed fine

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if anyone has noticed this.
Just installed 18.12.3 (after doing clean uninstall of 18.12.1) & it's notifying me there's a new update available.

Apparently I should update to 18.12.2 but I have 18.12.3 installed?!

hVw2Okm.jpg

Are AMD drivers really this bad?? or are they having a bad month??

Soldato
Not sure if anyone has noticed this.
Just installed 18.12.3 (after doing clean uninstall of 18.12.1) & it's notifying me there's a new update available.

Apparently I should update to 18.12.2 but I have 18.12.3 installed?!

hVw2Okm.jpg

Are AMD drivers really this bad?? or are they having a bad month??

Already been answered.
Amd recommended the latest WHQL drivers that is why it's saying to update to 18.12.2
The latest beta driver is 18.12.3

Associate
Already been answered.
Amd recommended the latest WHQL drivers that is why it's saying to update to 18.12.2
The latest beta driver is 18.12.3

true or not, I shouldn't be getting pop ups and notifications to "update" to a previous driver version regardless if the driver I'm currently running is beta or not.
It's a bug , lets not gloss over it and pretend it is okay.

Soldato
I noticed the other day that my frame rate was pretty sluggish in games and then noticed that my GPU was running nowhere near 100%. I checked the obvious things, temperature, CPU usage, etc. but everything seemed normal. In the end I did a DDU & driver reinstall (18.11.2) and that seems to have fixed it. Rather annoying though that I had no issues before attempting to upgrade to 18.12.2, I wish I hadn't bothered.

Permabanned
It's not a bug it's by design. If you not happy with the notification just turn it off.

There is a bug at the moment, If you chose to not be notified about updates when installing your driver it shouldn't flash you with an accept and install window every time you turn the PC on, It's doing that to me, trying to get me to install 18.12.2.

Should we use enhanced sync with a freesync monitor?

If I'm remembering right Enhanced sync is related to when framerates exceed your monitors maximum, I asked some time ago and was told to keep it on like already mentioned.

Got this on a Google

https://www.techspot.com/news/75212-amd-unveils-enhanced-sync-adrenaline-v-1772.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8ak4gh/vsync_freesync_enhanced_sync_chill_frtc_what_do_i/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6yfunz/enhanced_sync_combine_with_freesync/

Last edited:
Soldato
I just went back to 18.12.2 & every windows startup I get a notification that appears twice saying there are new updates

in the software it says:
Currently Installed: 18.12.2
New Recommended: 18.12.2
New Optional: 18.12.3

I clicked on express upgrade of 18.12.2 to see if the notification stops but a installer starts & closes.
Notifications are still appearing :(

Not sure if there are 2 variants of 18.12.2 ? :confused:
Or is it notifiying me that the 'optional' version 18.12.3 is available?
just an anoyance more than anything :)

Permabanned
I just went back to 18.12.2 & every windows startup I get a notification that appears twice saying there are new updates

in the software it says:
Currently Installed: 18.12.2
New Recommended: 18.12.2
New Optional: 18.12.3

I clicked on express upgrade of 18.12.2 to see if the notification stops but a installer starts & closes.
Notifications are still appearing :(

Not sure if there are 2 variants of 18.12.2 ? :confused:
Or is it notifiying me that the 'optional' version 18.12.3 is available?
just an anoyance more than anything :)

It's a bug that's also happening here, I mentioned it a couple of posts back replying to shankly1985 who was discussing what I think is a similar but different issue with nitram100.
The woes that come with major updates. :D

Back
Top Bottom