Mini ITX - Cryorig C7 cu - Ryzen 7 2700x

Soldato
Just put together a mini ITX build for a mate.

X470-I Asus - 2700x in a Dan A4.

The CPU cooler is a Cryorig C7 cu.

I did have some concerns if putting a 2700x in such a small case was a good idea.

From what I read online most articles and product descriptions for these mini ITX coolers do mention a warning that they are not really designed for CPU's over 65 watt TDP.

Now the 2700x is a 105watt TDP.

He is mentioning to me that the CPU is making a racket. It is ramping up and down.

Do you think the cooler will cope with the 2700x?

Soldato
C7 isn't a great cooler imo.

I used a Dan case with the C7 and delidded 8700k last year and it was terrible. You also get increased noise since the fan is so close to the side panel.

Switching the stock fan to a Noctua 92mm slim helped a little with noise but the temps were still high

There are better coolers out there:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-black-ridge-low-profile-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-05g-al.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKWQbcG0gTA

Theres also the cooltek LP53, but you need to import that and also replace the fan to a 92mm slim.

Asetek 545lc AIO would also be a nice choice but hard to find. Worth looking at SFF forums to see what other people used.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cryorig C7 is a good cooler for it's size, but it is quite small. Biggest problem I have with C7 is fan cannot be reversed to pull air up so cooler heated exhaust airflow moves up and away from cooler and motherboard instead of down to motherboard where it turn out hitting RAM, GPU, etc turning up along side of cooler and fan where it is drawn back into cooler. I've found turning the fan to pull air up away from motherboard on these small coolers usually lowers temps by 5-6c at full load.

There are some C7 adapter mounts out there that accept 92mm fans like NF-A9x14 as well as some that accept 120mm fans like NF-A12x25. There are also some 3D printer apps to print them.

I prefer Thermalright AXP-100 to C7. C7 4x heatpipes and rated 100w TDP with fan only blowing down into cooler with total size of 97x97x47mm w/ fan (LxWxH). AXP-100H is 6x heatpipes and rated 180w TDP with fan that can be mount to push down or pull up with a total size of 119x105x65mm w/fan (LxWxH).

Original AXP-100 is 58mm tall instead of 65mm so 7mm shorter. Everything else is the same; same 6x heatpipes and 180w TDP but only 58mm tall with fan. Thermalright changed for AXP-100 to AXP-100H a few years ago but there are still some of the original AXP-100 coolers available last time I looked. Also, the AXP-100H uses a top mount instead of through motherboard mount and does not have the 120mm fan adapter like AXP-100.

Soldato
You can get a full copper version of the AXP-100 from China but its works out to be around £80.

The Alpenfohn Black Ridge is pretty much the same design as the axp 100 but with mounts on the underside of the cooler for a fan.

Soldato
You can get a full copper version of the AXP-100 from China but its works out to be around £80.

The Alpenfohn Black Ridge is pretty much the same design as the axp 100 but with mounts on the underside of the cooler for a fan.
AXP-100 full copper appears to be only one that is 58mm tall with fan. AXP-100H is 65mm tall with fan.

Back
Top Bottom