• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2070 or?

Associate
Hi, just looking for some advice on a GPU, I was initially looking at waiting and possibly picking up the 2060 when it is released but have decided to spend a little extra so was looking into getting a 2070.

I have however read on a ton of threads that the increases from 10xx cards are minimal and people are advising just to get last gen cards. After looking though it seems unless I go used, 2070 isn’t beat by a 10xx Card that is cheaper to buy, only more expensive 10xx cards.

So should I buy a 2070 or? And if so should I be buying one that has a stock overclock or just a stock model and apply to overclock myself? Since the price different can be near on £100 in some cases for what seems like a software tweak with no hardware changes?

Will be playing between 1080p and some 4K if the card can support it at 60fps+ such as older or more basic games etc!

I also don’t want to be spending any more than 2070 money, as I was only originally looking at 2060 pricing etc.

Thanks in advance!

P.s I current have no graphics card, so it’s not a question of what upgrade I’m going to be getting, but I do have a GTX1080 laptop and would more than likely want to be playing at better or at least equal graphical settings.

Associate
I was in the same boat and reading your 2nd paragraph basically sums up my thoughts on the matter.

I bought a factory overclocked model, MSI Gaming Z as I felt it had better cooling, materials and build quality. I got it for £550 on sale with Battlefield V and £40 worth of steam vouchers, which I sold on to recoup some costs.

It's a great card which boosts to well over it's rating out the box, no tinkering, just works, on average it sits at 1950mhz which I thought was impressive.

If you can get one for under £500 I'd consider it an option for you, otherwise I'd look at the MSI Ventus but be aware that, that model doesn't have an USB-C port, which is priced at about £460.

As someone else mentioned in these forums, the 2070 isn't a bad card, it's badly priced. If you find value in it, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Associate
2070 is faster than 1080 and taking nvidia’s planned obsolescence into account by next year it will be miles ahead.

Back
Top Bottom