Running a mile a day for a year.

Transmission breaker
Don
I am currently 88 days into a challenge I set myself.

As a mid 30's man, I decided to try and make a change to my lifestyle. I used to be a very active sportsman, and retired from competitive sport when my first child came along and struggling to recover from a nasty injury.

It took a few years, but as the drive to fight for a place in a team was gone, I found my motivation sapping and the weight adding on.

I almost hit 13 stone one day earlier this year and as someone that is only 5 feet 8.5 (the .5 is important ;)) it was time to take action.

I was still playing sport a bit, but at a much lower level, and I would do a few things a month to at least feel like I was doing something, but it was clear, fitness was suffering, and I was getting bigger.

I decided to set myself a challenge.

I would run EVERY day for a year, and set a single mile as the distance, because largely this is a mental challenge. To ENSURE I actually run at least a mile EVERY day. No doubling up if I miss a day, just a simple task to complete each day.
Now, anyone can run a mile, people run more every day, and probably a lot faster than I do, but this is about changing my lifestyle, not just my waist. In fact, I do not care about my weight really, I just wanted to feel like I used to, or as close as possible. I also have to factor in my injury history (Ankle breaks, foot breaks, knee problems and plantar fasciitus) so pushing too hard too soon, or putting in too many miles a week may actually set me back, at least initially.

My first few runs were terrible, I had been suffering foot cramps when running, and it was hitting me hard, and I found that some new Mizuno running shoes started to make a difference. My feet were getting happier with running every day, and each and every run is now a much happier affair. SO, to anyone considering running, DO NOT SKIMP ON SHOES. Get a fit done, try a few pairs, and actually run in them. A shoe that feels great standing around in the shop might not be the one to make running feel great again. Any decent running shop will let you do that :)

Now my runs are just part of my routine, and I fit them in where I can. Most days it is in the evening once the kids and wife are in bed, but it can vary. I even did a few miles on a treadmill in my hotel when I travel for work just to make sure I could fit it in!

I throw in a few longer runs every now and again, and will probably go out for a few 5k/10k races, and perhaps a half marathon later in the year, with time goals for each (basically planning to beat all my existing PBs for any distance :D)

Current goals are for a 6 mile single mile, a sub 22minute 5k, and a sub 48 10k.

Currently I feel great. I am approaching a 1/4 of the way through, I feel more trim, more active, and more awake. I sleep better, and seem to be more focused at work.

I was not intending to post this here or anywhere when I started, but I do feel that the more people know about it, the more likely I am to keep this up, and make sure I hit my goal. I do not think that there are many people who can honestly say they have run a mile every day for an entire year, without fail, but I want to be one of them, and posting here might just help me achieve my goal :)

If you want to see how I am getting on in real time, here is my Strava, where all my runs are uploaded daily!
https://www.strava.com/athletes/11158233

Last edited:
Soldato
Good luck just watch out for shin splints. Personally I wouldn't recommend not having a break but that's just from pas experience.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Good luck just watch out for shin splints. Personally I wouldn't recommend not having a break but that's just from pas experience.

I am being careful, and not pushing too hard each day, just to keep myself in check :)

Last few days have just been jogging with the dog, so taking it pretty slow. However, I am finding my "slow" runs are gradually getting faster :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I started running in October, already doing half marathons (done 4 this year) and 10ks. Since moving I've been lazy and with a baby on the way I know I'm going to slip... so I can appreciate what you're doing. We're similar aside from I've had no injuries lower than my neck so no effect on running.

I've just bought my first "proper" trainers. Been wearing my Nike Freerun from about 8 years ago and they've been great but just invested in some Brooks Hyperion solely for races and I'm going to get some trail shoes for training as I've plenty hills to tackle on my doorstep but will use the Freeruns for now.

My new job is going to be very close too, too close to bother getting my cycling gear on so I might run to and from work.

They say train slow, race fast. Frequent slower runs to build up to a fast intense race, but I would want to cover the distances in training at a slower pace first. It's funny how quickly I've managed to get into the half marathons and now a 10k feels like nothing, even with little training. I've certainly got the bug now, looking to smash my 10k PB (48 min on a hilly route) before baby is due in October. Got Nottingham and Bury 10k to do it in!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I started running in October, already doing half marathons (done 4 this year) and 10ks. Since moving I've been lazy and with a baby on the way I know I'm going to slip... so I can appreciate what you're doing. We're similar aside from I've had no injuries lower than my neck so no effect on running.

I've just bought my first "proper" trainers. Been wearing my Nike Freerun from about 8 years ago and they've been great but just invested in some Brooks Hyperion solely for races and I'm going to get some trail shoes for training as I've plenty hills to tackle on my doorstep but will use the Freeruns for now.

My new job is going to be very close too, too close to bother getting my cycling gear on so I might run to and from work.

They say train slow, race fast. Frequent slower runs to build up to a fast intense race, but I would want to cover the distances in training at a slower pace first. It's funny how quickly I've managed to get into the half marathons and now a 10k feels like nothing, even with little training. I've certainly got the bug now, looking to smash my 10k PB (48 min on a hilly route) before baby is due in October. Got Nottingham and Bury 10k to do it in!

Based on your 10k, i would say we would probably be a decent match. My last 10k years ago was a 48 also on a hilly course.

Its amazing how much difference proper shoes make. Running is much easier/happier now I have my Mizunos. I am also getting back into cycling again, and trying to get more rides in as my kids are growing up a bit. (5 and nearly 3) and they are fairly self sufficient.

I also found that my weight is very slowly coming off, from just under 13 to 12.7 stone, but I dropped into the office for the first time in about a month, and everyone was asking if I have lost weight. I think i am one of those that does not really lose weight, i just re-distribute it to better places :D

The every day thing is really just a kick start, I suspect after a year I will be dropping that down to 2-3 longer runs a week with some more specific goals. This is just to prove to myself that there are no excuses :D

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Approaching day 100 and did some measuring of a few factors.
Blood pressure is down at 119/72 and my resting pulse rate (Sat on sofa after brekkie) is at 41 bpm
Weight is just under 12'7 for the first time and due to the bad weather last night I decided to try and do a mile at 6mins dead on the treadmill (At 0 incline, so cheating a bit).
It was hard but I managed to do it (after a gentle warm up) at 10 mph. Pretty chuffed, will see if I can manage a proper mile anywhere near that in the near future.
Quite happy with my progress at this point.
Still putting off some longer runs, but mainly due to the boredom/time factor than anything else.
I am mostly just fitting the runs in around other stuff at the moment rather than setting aside specific time to do them.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Day 100 done. Got in a quicker mile post midnight as I have some work commitments tomorrow, and wanted to take the pressure off.
Weight is at 12'4 and it feels great!
I even did a bit of an attempt at some Deadlifts at the gym with some family members. Managed get 160kg off the floor (just what happened to be on the bar at the time), but did not complete, so, dropped it down to 130 and did it easily.
Might have to take a look into some of this weight stuff. It felt addictive getting that weight off the floor :D
Still, 100 days in, and currently feeling very positive, and happy with my improvement, in both how I look and feel.

Bring on the next 265 days. I have been slacking off the longer runs, but have been cycling quite a bit in-between. If that drops off, I will add in some extra distance.

Soldato
Think I might try this. I also have a barbell so maybe do 5 x 20(15kg) curls, 3 x 10 push ups and one mile a day.

Then swimming 2 x a week. ((8 x 25m freestyle) x 2 then 1 x 450m if I can manage).

Probably have 2 rests days a week. Try that for a year.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I say it is worth a try, I am finding sensible goal setting is the key to success.

You want to always feel like you are achieving something each time you complete a day. However, if you are not doing regular exercise at the moment I would ease into it to stop injuries, and failing to meet goals really early on. Its a real killer to motivation if you have to stop early on because you pushed too hard.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
160 days in now. Weight is stable at 12'6 and I have done nothing to my diet at all, so confident I can drop weight if i fancied it by just reducing portion sizes :)
Back in hockey training/season now, so using my games and training sessions runs as miles on these days.

Feeling pretty good at the moment, looking at some dates for a half marathon once I have completed the year, mainly to force me to do some longer runs towards the end, as I have been avoiding them around training and hockey.

Soldato
I love these sort of challenges, fantastic stuff. It’s good for the mental side as well to keep plugging away and proving to yourself and others what can be done with dedication.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Approaching 200 days, and my enthusiasm is waining. I am bored of the daily grind and it's starting to get in the way of running longer distances as running every day starts to mean little niggles don't heal fast and I am noticing that if I take a 2 days slow, the third is much faster.

I am still injury free, but feel like I might be pushing my luck.

With that in mind. I am setting my sights on a half marathon in the spring of the new year and will be looking to move to a more comprehensive training program, with rest days :D

I think this exercise, despite essentially failing to meet my original goal, has taught me a lot and re-invogirated my approach to running.

I am looking forward to this new chapter :)

Back
Top Bottom