Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
The interior of the new 8 isn’t worthy of a car in that segment, not when you compare it to the S Class Coupe. Total lack of drama.

I know BMW have never really been about drama inside but they got away with it because their design language was so particular, so ‘BMW’. Most of the range is missing that feel now. It all feels diluted. It’s still a BMW, but it’s the Diet Coke version aesthetically...

Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Agreed. 8 Series doesn't look special, not like the old school 8 series were.

Looks indifferent to the 6 series to me.

Soldato
BMW, however, well in my opinion they have lost their appeal quite a lot. Not sure why, but I have had over 10 of them and nothing in their range holds appeal to me at the moment, my father feeling the same. The showroom was a soulless experience too and the 8 series for 100K, well it just makes no sense...
BMW long termer here but must admit the only model that appeals to me is the 2 series. From what I've seen so far of the Z4 that won't be for me, and I've owned a couple in the past (Coupes only). The Toyota Supra from what I've seen (based on same chassis I think) looks much better. Read something about reducing weight too (Supra) which will be good and if they got the S55 engine from the M3/M4...…...
I hear the M2 being described as "nimble", but I dunno, it's not that far off of 1600KG now. Everything a bit bloaty. Might try to test one soon tho.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really like BMW, but the more recent stuff is looking more and more like a profit spinner than clever design and engineering. Shame, as the exterior of the 8 is very nice IMO.

The AMG GT-R in black though. Hnng!

Soldato
BMW long termer here but must admit the only model that appeals to me is the 2 series. From what I've seen so far of the Z4 that won't be for me, and I've owned a couple in the past (Coupes only). The Toyota Supra from what I've seen (based on same chassis I think) looks much better. Read something about reducing weight too (Supra) which will be good and if they got the S55 engine from the M3/M4...…...
I hear the M2 being described as "nimble", but I dunno, it's not that far off of 1600KG now. Everything a bit bloaty. Might try to test one soon tho.

I think I actually love the M2. The driving experience is on another level compared to my previous cars and I understand that more now that I have lived with the M2 day to day for 1 month. Something I could not get from a 15 minute test drive...

It is very nimble, having driving my mates F80 M3 and he has also been in the M2 a few times there is a big difference in how it drives on a british country road. Both the M3 & M2 feel very similar in terms of steering feel, the M2 being a tad lighter but still incredibly heavy with lots of feel - which is quite the feat for electric steering. The F80 M3 incredible at motorway speeds but even my friend admits the M2 sounds so much better. And the way it looks really stands out on the road. I've heard the M2 competition is even more nimble then the original M2 - there is a good video from Chris Harris where he reviews it.

Jumped back in the TT a few weeks ago and went for a quick drive down the road and back - the steering in comparison felt so light and numb. I guess its one of those things you get used to everyday but so far the M2 is an event everytime I start it up.

I am of the opinion now that the M2 is the true E46 M3 successor.

Soldato
45617003045_0051c36c0c_b.jpg

46479206332_5c74fdb19c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The 2 series coupe is the spiritual successor of classic BMW’s of yesteryear for sure. Compact, RWD, good balance of design and performance. The M2 competition is probably the finest car BMW make.

Soldato
The interior of the new 8 isn’t worthy of a car in that segment, not when you compare it to the S Class Coupe. Total lack of drama.

I know BMW have never really been about drama inside but they got away with it because their design language was so particular, so ‘BMW’. Most of the range is missing that feel now. It all feels diluted. It’s still a BMW, but it’s the Diet Coke version aesthetically...

Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Yep interior definitely isn't anything to win awards and I found the steering in M4 very light. All the technology makes everything efficient but essentially takes away what driving is all about.

Mind you wouldn't mind driving a M2 competition to see what all the fuss is about.

Soldato
Nice TT.

Shame about that BMW. Just can't stop looking at those M2 arches :(
I think they suit the car well. Doesn't look so great from smaller side angles but from a distance IMO helps to give the car a good poise and stance. Looks better in picture 2 next to the Range Rover than next to the TT for example.

The competition sounds good in the C.Harris video too. I was thinking the original M2 sounds much better inside the car (going by video's only not drives), maybe it does, but the competition sounds pretty good in that vid.

If I wanted one the decision would be whether to go used or just stump up the extra 10-£15k for a new Competition. With cars holding their values pretty well it makes new more tempting.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not sure about the M2 comp, might have more power but is also heavier. And reportedly they've improved the suspension but I'm just about to whack Bilsteins on my 2017 M2.

Save the money, buy an older M2 and modify it. eg standard brakes are terrible and presumably the same on the competition too.

It's more than capable round a track, here it is at Donny on standard PS4S tyres.....

Cayman GT4 driven a few days later was a few seconds a lap quicker, a big premium for small extra speed! From the graphs, the GT4 cornered faster (not sure what tyres it comes with, Cup2s I'd guess) but the M2 caught it on the straights. Driver was my friend who's far better than me!

A simple decat hugely improves the noise (or makes it worse, take your pick) and it still passes the noise tests at Donny, Bedford and Combe (measures ~98dB static) :cool:

Go-faster stripes help too :D

7nUZRrv.jpg

FlKVf77.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom