What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Bird Box (2018) 8/10

Great movie, loved the soundtrack and I felt heavily invested in the lead characters especially the children.

During the last 20 minutes :

Just the idea of one of the children having to take their blindfolds off to navigate the rapids upset me

Associate
I finally watched Justice League. Well, it wasn't as bad as Suicide Squad so that's a bonus. In fact, I have it as arguably better than Batman vs Superman. All the Marvel stuff craps all over it though. The forced humour was with Batman was... odd. Ben Affleck looks like he doesn't want to be there. Gal Gadot remains stunning. All the others were abit meh. Flash was alright but I'm so used to TV Flash that my loyalties lie elsewhere haha!

I also thought it was better than Batman v Superman and worse than all the marvel stuff, except Black Panther. It was a bad movie but surprisingly watchable given the previous DC films. Then again setting the bar so low with the others in the franchise is what might have made it watchable. :D

Suicide Squad was such a mish mash of dissapointment :( it was like they cobbled together several scripts, then cut out the bits that might have held them together as some kind of cohesive mess and called it a day. So much wasted potential.

Associate
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century!

Only watched the 1979 film thus far. As a young kid I was a proud owner of the Corgi Buck Spaceship back in the day!

Watching it now; Well, Erin Gray does steal the show (to Buck's chagrin) :eek:

1200x630bb.jpg

Caporegime
I watched 'Roma' on Netflix, based in the critical buzz

If you are in the mood for a 135 minute black & white film with subtitles about a mexican housekeeper in 1970 then it's certainly that...

I mean, it was pretty good for what it was, but I was expecting something incredible.

8/10 if I'm being generous.

Soldato
The movie is far more 'normal' than his previous releases. It should appeal to a wider audience.

The use of natural lighting is beautiful in the film, particularly when its just candle and firelight. Some scenes are stunning, and the costumes and sets are deserving of awards.
Saw The Favourite tonight because Bohemian Rhapsody was sold out.

Well shot and acted but the film doesn't seem to know what it is and the script is terrible. It's like a series of unfunny comedy sketches glued together into one big unfunny comedy sketch.

4/10

Soldato
Mother! Attempt #1

I tried to watch this last night, but found the characters incredibly irritating. I guess this was probably the intention, but I just wasn't in the mood for it and had to turn it off.
Looked nice at least, as did Ms Lawrence, but I'm not looking forward to trying it again right now.

Soldato
Mother! Attempt #1

I tried to watch this last night, but found the characters incredibly irritating. I guess this was probably the intention, but I just wasn't in the mood for it and had to turn it off.
Looked nice at least, as did Ms Lawrence, but I'm not looking forward to trying it again right now.

That film makes you anxious alright. Stick with it though..pretty darn good.

Soldato
Excalibur - 1981. 6/10

Golden oldie which was cutting edge when it first came out (I saw it 3 times at the cinema) but nearly 40 years on it has not aged that well. Very much a series of set pieces taken from the Arthurian legend and bolted together with some of the most cringeworthy dialogue ever written - and recited by the actors as if they are reading straight off the cue board, not natural at all. And that's without Nichol Williamson as the OTT high camp Merlin comedy relief. However the scenery is stunning even if County Wicklow is not really typical stand in for the Wessex of the actual legend. The music score while it seemed dramatic at the time was largely poached from established classical composers - Wagner and Orff.

Still it's a spectacle and it launched the career of several actors who went on to become household names, though many no longer with us - including Nigel Terry.

Getting a decent pressing of this has proved elusive over the years, a DVD copy had dreadful lip-sync and a previous Blu-ray had sound issues. This version, the HMV exclusive - get 'em while you can - had average picture but the sound was fairly dire, not much oomph or surround and during the final battle was dropping to mono in a few sections.

Man of Honour
The Autopsy of Jane Doe - 3/10

Predictable and boring. Spent way too much time on the things that didn't matter, and not enough time on the horror/tension elements. Extremely disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom