Any PS4 Hidden Gems?

Soldato
I tend to grow tired of the same old AAA type games that we always hear about and that get a load of coverage before and after release.

It got me thinking that there must be some solid titles on the system that can easily fall under a player's radar and get lost behind the big budget/big name games.

Anyone got any in particular that they feel deserve more attention? While the sales are on it may be a good time to look back at such games.

One I was looking at was Gravity Rush 2 (not on offer but will try the demo)

I recently played a VR Title called Statik and really enjoyed it, puzzle box game like The Room series that makes great use of the DS4.

SOMA for a fantastic story and atmosphere. Honestly a very thought provoking ending that had me thinking about it for some time afterwards. (Was recently included in PS plus if I recall correctly)

Soldato
Soem of thees might be well known but worth a mention jsut in case.

Yakuza 0: Good story and voice acting (if your don't mind reading subtitles), think shemmue but over the top, its bit of crazy game but its great fun.
Stick it to the man: Quriky sense of humour strange characters, side scrolling exploration/puzzel adventure game.
Hotline Miami: Old school look, snycth wave music, super fun.
Tricky Towers: like Tetris but has nice spin on it. (Was free on ps plus)
Axiom verge: If you like metroid on SNES you will love this.
Souls project: has nice atmosphere it can drag on a bit at times, but it kept me intrested and wanting to find out more.
Valiant hearts the great war: Point and click,adventure , puzzel game with an emotional story, short but sweet.

Edit: Only played the demo but you remined me it need to buy NieR: Automata!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Some great games here, I tried Nier on PC. Loved the intro but fell off once I reached the more open part if the game. People love it though.

Until dawn, but it now thank me later

Great game and I would consider that a hidden Gem, a big exclusive for Sony but many didn't give it a chance.

Soldato
Some great games here, I tried Nier on PC. Loved the intro but fell off once I reached the more open part if the game. People love it though.

Great game and I would consider that a hidden Gem, a big exclusive for Sony but many didn't give it a chance.
So true, it's a shame really as it did so many things right.

Most aaa games get it so wrong these days.

I'd consider alien isolation a gem too, if you haven't played that

Soldato
OP
So true, it's a shame really as it did so many things right.

Most aaa games get it so wrong these days.

I'd consider alien isolation a gem too, if you haven't played that

I have, albeit on PC. Loved it but found it maybe over stayed it's welcome by a few hours towards the end, not sure why. Great atmosphere and stays so true to the source material!

Soldato
Not sure if it's considered AAA on console but metro 2033 was so good on pc if you like games with great atmosphere.

Soldato
Nier is amazing but what it does is not for everyone and requires some attention/perseverance.

Gravity Rush is totally a hidden gem.

Not suguesting Yakuza as I know it didn't entirely click with you and also requires loads of time for the meaty bits. Totally worth it though and properly hilarious sidequests, probably the most creative I've ever seen.

Until Dawn is supposedly very good but I missed it, will get it at some point.

Nothing else springs to mind apart from the typical AAA stuff.

EDIT: Maybe Ratchet & Clank? AAA buy slightly overlooked. I'd kill for a new Rayman, though.

Soldato
OP
Good choice, first 2 are definitely more known on PC I bet but maybe not so much on console, good choices.

Picked up Gravity Rush 2 today. Seems like it reviewed really well but just sold really poorly. Probably as the first game was a Vita exclusive (until a later remaster on console). That and Sony tend to suck at marketing sometimes.

Soldato
OP
The Housemarque arcade games are all hidden gems that no-one ever really talks about (except Resogun)

Super Stardust Ultra £3.99
Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition £3.29
Resogun £9.99
Alienation £5.79
Nex Machina £15.99
Matterfall £15.99

Looks like some of them are not on sale at the moment though. :(

Such a quality Dev. Sort of glad they are trying something new next, I.e. not a shooter of this style but still, they nailed it out the gate with Stardust and have clearly honed their craft since

Associate
Don't own a PS4 anymore but have played through The Last Of Us 4 times - Considering another PS4 for Part 2.

If you haven't considered this then imo is a must, should also be pretty cheap for a 2nd hand copy

Back
Top Bottom