• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

enabling MSIX on nvidia gpu's

Soldato
Apparently AMD does this by default already on their consumer gpu's maybe some here who owns an AMD card can confirm.

Nvidia cards support MSIX but I think for market segregation Nvidia only enable it by default on quadro cards.

So legacy IRQ's aka line interrupts, have lower performance and also more prone to issues related to irq sharing.

I recently noticed my sound card, sata (intel ports) were both sharing an irq with my gpu, the sound card could probably be fixed by moving its slot but obviously the sata its hardwired to that irq.

I also noticed various components were already using MSIX, such as both my LAN ports, my USB ports and my asmedia sata controller. This is important as its an indicator the board and OS already have well supported software for MSIX. I dont suggest doing this if you have an old board or an OS older than windows 8.

There is some information here. Including the "hard" way of enabling it for your gpu.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/

However it also has a link to the easy way which is this tool.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2kkkvko7e75opce/MSI_util_v2.zip

Simply fire it up (with admin rights), it will list all hardware in your system and the irq's assigned. If its a positive irq number then its using legacy aka line interrupts, and you should see the MSI box unticked.
If its using MSI it will show a negative number and should have the MSI box ticked.

For everyone who has tried this, all they had to do was tick the MSI box next to their gpu device, hit apply and reboot, thats it. That is also all I had to do, was no need to reinstall drivers or anything, just enable, apply and reboot. But just in case there is an issue at the very least its recommended to make a system restore point first.

This can offer improvements if you find you get stutters etc, related to IRQ bottlenecks. You are also less likely to have stability issues.

Caporegime
Having Googled MSIX, what does this have to do with GPU’s and if it was of use to “regular” rather than Quadro Nvidia cards, why wouldn’t they implement it by default?

Soldato
OP
Both questions are answered in my post.

MSIX affects "all" hardware, as "all" hardware needs interrupts.

Not implementing by default probably a combination of market segregation and possible compatibility issues with certian boards not support MSIX properly. If you already have hardware using MSIX its probably safe to also enable on your GPU.

Soldato
OP
Its just some info I thought I would post, its understandable if people are too worried to try it, not many people in the consumer space have heard of MSIX. So its a take it or leave it, but it would be nice if anyone does enable it to provide feedback good or bad.

Associate
Gave it a go and enabled it on both 2080 Ti's with the 417.58 driver and it rebooted into windows ok so that's a good start at least :D

One of the GPU's before the changes was sharing IRQ 16 with an audio controller though. Apart from me ticking the GPU boxes everything I left as it was.

7o3ui9zl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom