• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
No, he won't do that. Like an orderly intel supporter, he will just wait for the bright future of his loving company :D

Don't mind a bit of Banter but I dont favour one company to the next..I buy the fastest for my needs thats it.

I couldn't care less who makes what...Ryzen 2700 x ( Slower in games, slower in DAW applications, Slower in rendering, Ryzen max clock 4.3-4.4 ghz....9900k 5ghz + all cores)

I could go on and on why I bought 9900k this time but it certainly wasn't because of the INTEL Brand.

Permabanned
I feel that too big of a delay for x570 will hurt adoption to Zen 2, especially those not on an AM4 platform already.

You'd be mad to move to AM4 and Zen 2 on current gen only for 570 to launch with PCI-E 4.0 and what ever other improvements it might bring.

What difference is moving from pci-e 3.0 to pci-e 4.0 going to offer? Realistically?

I think I've asked about this on the forum before but can't recall getting a definite answer.

As an example my current X470 board has two M.2 slots but the second seems to be slightly throttled, Is this something pci-e 4.0 could change?

Associate
What difference is moving from pci-e 3.0 to pci-e 4.0 going to offer? Realistically?

I think I've asked about this on the forum before but can't recall getting a definite answer.

As an example my current X470 board has two M.2 slots but the second seems to be slightly throttled, Is this something pci-e 4.0 could change?

Yes. There are 24 lanes total on AM4. The CPU actually could offer 32 but AM4 and cost set constraints.
16 GPU
4 M.2
4 Chipset.

Therefore, on PCIe 4.0, Mobo manufacturers could bifurcate 4 M.2 4.0 lanes into 8 M.2 3.0 lanes, which would be enough for 2 full bandwith M.2 SSDs

Permabanned
Yes. There are 24 lanes total on AM4. The CPU actually could offer 32 but AM4 and cost set constraints.
16 GPU
4 M.2
4 Chipset.

That should be more than enough for mine really.

Therefore, on PCIe 4.0, Mobo manufacturers could bifurcate 4 M.2 4.0 lanes into 8 M.2 3.0 lanes, which would be enough for 2 full bandwith M.2 SSDs

It's a step in the right direction, If possible squeezing a third slot on a board with two having full bandwidth and one slightly throttled would be good, I'd do away with HDD's and maybe even SATA SSD then. Storage memory prices have dropped a lot recently & I read that memory pricing is expected to improve further in 2019, fingers crossed. :)

Soldato

Nothing for an individual item but, for example, you can have two M.2 drives using the same number of lanes as a single drive needed in PCIe 3.0. That's pretty significant on the desktop platform which is typically PCIe lane starved.

Associate
Have to think that the 3000 series chips will be paper launched, along with X570 at CES. Going on sale a couple of months further down the line.

The 3850X will be announced and hard released at Computex.

I'm kinda reluctant to think anything will be launched at CES, but it will probably be announced. Who knows, maybe you're right and they announce Zen 2 to be available to buy a few months later. I feel like AMD will want their own launch event for something as big as Zen 2.

On that note, someone further back mentioned or reminded us that there has been sort of a trend with Ryzen over the past couple years. Zen launched in April 2017 and then Zen+ almost exactly a year after in April 2018. I mean sure, a trend doesn't prove anything, but that makes me think Zen 2 will launch sometime in Q2 this year. It feels like the progress is pretty fast if AMD are launching new CPUs exactly a year after the previous set.

Hmm...you don't "need" X570 until Navi shows up, assuming that's PCI-E 4 (but why would it not be?) but I'd be pretty confident in saying AMD would want to pair their anniversary 5GHz beast with the top-end boards. So if the 3850X is announced May 1st for the 50th anniversary, I can't see them waiting an entire month to actually launch it to coincide with X570 launch at Computex.

I don't even think Navi will be held back by PCIe 3, I bet it's most likely for faster M.2 SSDs or having multiple M.2 SSDs on the same boards. I bet that'll be exclusive to the more pricey X570 boards though.

Anyhow, the only trouble is that current chipsets, even if they support Zen 2, will likely need a BIOS update for it. For the folks who would be buying newly into AMD with Zen 2, this might be tricky on the cheaper boards. They won't be able to get the Zen 2 experience straight out the box (BIOS update req). The exception is if the manufacturers do a quick revision of their boards with the BIOS pre-updated for Zen 2 and make those boards available as soon as.

All that makes me think that they're better off releasing B550/X570 alongside Zen 2 CPUs. Most importantly it means a price bump on motherboards and therefore making some money off the launch and hype of Zen 2. Regardless of what features the new chipsets may have, people will want to be able to make the most of Zen 2, so new boards would probably sell from that.

Maybe you're right and B550/X570 mobos release in May or June. In which case anyone not already on Zen wil have to wait a bit to join team Red. I've always felt that summer is the best time to upgrade or build new. I guess that's stil the case this year then.

Soldato
There is not a single AMD GPU that will require PCI-E 4.0 for at least 18-24 months, unless they plan on releasing cards with an 8x connector. :)

Well Vega 20 Instinct already is PCI-E 4, but I know what you're getting at ;)

Besides, who said anything about requiring PCI-E 4? The fact that Navi could come as the first PCI-E 4 gaming card, alongside Ryzen as the first PCI-E 4 consumer CPU architecture, just continues to hammer home the technical leadership AMD are currently building.

Let's assume every leak is correct; Intel will get battered in price and performance on the consumer desktop, Intel's "new" 28 core HEDT and the ludicrous Dominus Extreme are DOA because they're eclipsed by existing Threadrippers, let alone the new ones coming, Nvidia will be shown up as the money-grabbing fools they are if the RTX is matched or beaten by a card half the price, half the power and half the size. Granted AMD don't have real-time raytracing hardware but it's evident a lot of people don't give a **** about something that can't even be used anyway.

First to 7nm CPUs as Intel struggle, first to 7nm GPUs as Nvidia fleece customers for **** they don't need, first to PCI-E 4 and pushing advancement forward hard, tearing up the price book everywhere they see it. Navi doesn't need to be PCI-E 4, but AMD would massively benefit from it being so.

Soldato
Besides, who said anything about requiring PCI-E 4? The fact that Navi could come as the first PCI-E 4 gaming card, alongside Ryzen as the first PCI-E 4 consumer CPU architecture, just continues to hammer home the technical leadership AMD are currently building.

You missed my point, since I was actually saying that in order for Zen2 CPU's to sell, then PCI-E 4.0 is not a factor as it simply is not needed for the most part, and more than likely for 12-18 months in the enthusiast desktop space. Which was arguing against the need for X570/B550 chipset to be required alongside the the CPU's to sell at launch, sure some people who 'think' they need it will wait, when in reality it will make literally zero difference to them for the =entire life of the system. :)

Back
Top Bottom