Planning a first time custom loop - please check out my component list!

Associate
Hi all -

I am a complete newbie when it comes to anything PC water cooling related - in fact I have never used an AIO :eek:, having always gone for premium air coolers instead. I decided that this year I would give my first ever custom loop a go and I am just starting to work out what I think I want to buy.

At the moment my Ryzen 2700X (on a X470 Gigabyte Gaming 7) in a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic is air cooled so I am in absolutely no rush to buy components and get them fitted quickly so I have a working system. If I do the buying and assembly over the next couple of months, that's absolutely fine with me. Being a newbie, I have elected to use flexible tubing for my first build, to try and keep things simple for me!

As part of the existing air cooling, I currently have 3x Noctua Chromax NF-F12 120mm PWM fans (apparently excellent static pressure) bringing air into the case. I will use these on any 360mm radiator I buy.

I am restricted in the depth of the radiator that I put in the side of the PC-O11D if I want to leave the bottom of the case free for 3x 120mm fans or another radiator. If that’s the case, the maximum radiator depth is 50mm including a fan. I can't see anything in the AlphaCool radiator line up that is less than 30mm deep, so I will blow that limit by 5mm....?

I have a 12 port PWM fan hub to put in the case so am not restricted by the number of PWM headers on my motherboard in any way.

I would ultimately like a radiator in the roof and in the side of the PC-O11D, with just fans on the bottom of the case bringing in cold air from below. At the moment, I am likely to use some more Noctua Chromax fans to achieve this, unless I go for an RGB option instead. In the short term, I'm just going to go for a radiator in the side of the PC-O11D.

Having had a bit of a read up/watch of videos over the last couple of weeks, I think I am leaning towards AlphaCool as my brand of choice. I've knocked up a parts list of what I think I need/want, would appreciate opinions from those more experienced with water cooling that I! Thanks :)
  • Eisblock XPX CPU waterblock black
  • Eisbecher 250mm reservoir
  • EisPumpe VPP755 pump
  • NexXxoS ST30 full copper 360mm radiator
  • AlphaTube HF 16/10 clear 3 metres
  • HF 16/10 compression fittings G1/4” deep black 6 pack
  • Ball valve G1/4” black nickel
  • Pure Water coolant 1 litre
  • XSPC EC6 UV blue dye
  • Possibly a kill coil?
  • Hose cutters
  • Possibly a filling bottle?
Or instead of mixing using the XSPC dye, buy the Eiswasser crystal blue ready mixed coolant?

I have a SeaSonic Prime 850w Platinum PSU, so I don't expect to have any issues powering pumps etc.

Fanks! :D

Soldato
Parts list looks good - I have most of that (same block, pump/res, XT45 radiator). All was very easy to use with Alphacool hardline fittings and tubing plus a Nexxxos GPU block.

I'd suggest you don't need a kill coil as it can encourage corrosion and modern premix coolants contain all the necessary biocides and anti-corrosives. Definitely use a premix, I personally believe the modern products are well developed and this contributes to healthier loops these days.

In terms of tools and prep, yes get tube cutters, fill bottle and a funnel. Lots of kitchen roll too! I'd recommend a spare PSU too so you can power the pump without too much faff connecting and disconnecting other parts. Alternatively just a 12v adapter and a breadboard or similar.

I'll happily comment more about what I learned using Alphacool kit later when I'm home!

Don
Unless you know what you’re doing with additives for water I would recommend using a premix.

I’m going with Mayhem’s X1 on my next build, non-water based, but performs as good as water according to testing I’ve read. Should be interesting.

Associate
A funnel is much better than a filling bottle. I've done both. You can get funnels with an incorporated pipe if need be. You can pour straight from the coolant container - I do. Alternatively a big syringe with pipe. Having to squeeze a filling bottle is nasty.
Sharp scissors are fine for making a clean soft tube cut. My Victorinox (All Purpose) scissors are great.

I replaced a CPU & GPU block after a year of use with my Mayhems Pastel Red, and there was no build up in the fins or anywhere at all. The red colour residue in the GPU block wiped away with no problem.

You may want an EK-CSQ plug to go on the end of your drainage port.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
And the water cooling journey has started, albeit with nothing glamourous. But I will need these!

IMG-20190110-204148.jpg

Associate
OP
So my purchasing has been moving on nicely :)

I've now bought a XSPC TX360 radiator, got most of the fans I will need (going Noctua Chromax NF-F12s all round), my tube cutters, PSU jumping tool, Mayhems 16/10 fllexible tubing, XSPC EC6 UV blue coolant, lots of XSPC 16/10 compression fittings, a couple of G 1/4 blanking plugs and a fill bottle.

I've just ordered a D5 pump from OCUK - after reading the forums a bit, I decided on the Aquacomputer Laing D5 pump, the vario model with tacho signal as opposed to the PWM version. After my thread about reservoirs and having the Singularity Computers kit mentioned, I looked at it and just fell for it/fell in love with it :eek: The fact it's a bit more expensive probably means I won't get all the parts this month and will wait until next month before finishing off the purchasing.

I've ordered the Singularity Computers reservoir brackets and D5 pump cover, so that's the reservoir combo underway - will get the pump top and reservoir when I've worked out what size reservoir I would like. That then leaves the CPU waterblock as the last thing to get :)

I've never done any custom sleeving, but can see myself sleeving the pump cables at some point :D

Dxbm2JEWsAAAiLe.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom