i9 9900k 5Ghz overclock.

Associate
Hi all,

I’m very new to Overclocking but have been doing a bit of reading and watching quite a few videos on it.

I had a 5.0Ghz overclock @ 1.28v and stress test on AIDA64 for 15minutes no problem. Package Temp maxes out at 82c (Corsair H150i Pro 360mm)

Went onto 3DMark TimeSpy and it crashed 3000 frames into the first test.

Again ran AIDA64 and no problems so went to boot up Ghost Recon Wildlands and BSOD straight away again.

Any tips or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Alex.

Soldato
What stress tests are you ticking when using AIDA?

For gaming stability, try a mix of XTU and Realbench. 1.28V for 5GHz may be a touch optimistic, especially if the stop codes are WHEA errors. My CPU needs around 1.32-1.34v for 5GHz.

Also you want to be running the stress tests for 30 minutes to an hour at a minimum.

Associate
OP
What stress tests are you ticking when using AIDA?

For gaming stability, try a mix of XTU and Realbench. 1.28V for 5GHz may be a touch optimistic, especially if the stop codes are WHEA errors. My CPU needs around 1.32-1.34v for 5GHz.

Also you want to be running the stress tests for 30 minutes to an hour at a minimum.
Top 3 stress tests on AIDA 64 mate.

Do you suggest I push Vcore to 1.32 as a baseline and try again?

Will try XTU also.

EDIT.

The majority were WHEA codes from what I can remember.

Soldato
If using XMP, may be an idea to return memory to optimised defaults until you've diagnosed where the instability is. I'd recommend Ramtest or HCI Memtest Pro for this purpose <testing memory stability>.

WHEA is more often than not insufficient Vcore - I would test AIDA without FPU checked, personally. There are benefits to running FPU independently to CPU as well as both together, however, to get a better baseline for a gaming system CPU, cache and memory are fine.

Either way, increasing vcore will likely solve the issue

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If using XMP, may be an idea to return memory to optimised defaults until you've diagnosed where the instability is. I'd recommend Ramtest or HCI Memtest Pro for this purpose <testing memory stability>.

WHEA is more often than not insufficient Vcore - I would test AIDA without FPU checked, personally. There are benefits to running FPU independently to CPU as well as both together, however, to get a better baseline for a gaming system CPU, cache and memory are fine.

Either way, increasing vcore will likely solve the issue
@Silent_Scone Quick update. I’ve increased Vcore to 1.32v and crashed, disabled XMP and fine. Ran multiple CPU stress tests and benchmarks. Hitting 92c on the package. Fans @ 1600rpm which is max for the LL120 Corsair fans. These are peaks, average is 78c.

Don’t know what I can do with regards to XMP but with it disabled then no issues.

EDlT.

Put Vcore to 1.3v and system is stable but XMP still disabled. I have put ram in A1 and B1 on the board but reading AORUS master memory compatibility looks like A2&B2 is the better option. Will swap over when I’m back at the PC and try OC with XMP enabled this time.

EDIT 2.

I just got back and swapped over the RAM in the slots and placed into A2&B2, booted into bios and enabled XMP mode @ 3200Mhz, saved and booted into Windows just fine.

Ran Cinebench, TimeSpy and Firestrike. Now running AIDA64 for 45mins and no issues. 5.0Ghz @ 1.3v with max package temp of 86. Cores are running mid to high 70s. Running a 1 hr AIDA test. Will play with Vcore once passed to see if it’ll run at 1.29v as temps will be 5/6c less across all cores.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Play some battlefield v online for an hour or so. It'll tease out instability issues and push the hell out of the CPU also.

Eh?

Rubbish post

Run Prime 26.6 custom 12 for 8 hours

Tweak your Vcore until it passes,then game and use your system without error until your next upgrade :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Eh?

Rubbish post

Run Prime 26.6 custom 12 for 8 hours

Tweak your Vcore until it passes,then game and use your system without error until your next upgrade :)

Poor advice for a gaming system, but even poorer as the OP has already discovered the instability is due to memory. BFV is quite taxing, and also uses AVX instructions sets. If one is of sound mind you can tune the system without pounding it with current for 8 hours.

@Silent_Scone Quick update. I’ve increased Vcore to 1.32v and crashed, disabled XMP and fine. Ran multiple CPU stress tests and benchmarks. Hitting 92c on the package. Fans @ 1600rpm which is max for the LL120 Corsair fans. These are peaks, average is 78c.

Don’t know what I can do with regards to XMP but with it disabled then no issues.

EDlT.

Put Vcore to 1.3v and system is stable but XMP still disabled. I have put ram in A1 and B1 on the board but reading AORUS master memory compatibility looks like A2&B2 is the better option. Will swap over when I’m back at the PC and try OC with XMP enabled this time.

EDIT 2.

I just got back and swapped over the RAM in the slots and placed into A2&B2, booted into bios and enabled XMP mode @ 3200Mhz, saved and booted into Windows just fine.

Ran Cinebench, TimeSpy and Firestrike. Now running AIDA64 for 45mins and no issues. 5.0Ghz @ 1.3v with max package temp of 86. Cores are running mid to high 70s. Running a 1 hr AIDA test. Will play with Vcore once passed to see if it’ll run at 1.29v as temps will be 5/6c less across all cores.

Ok, swapping memory slots can often work if one module has less guardband than the other. You can test stability with the tests aforementioned my above post if needed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Poor advice for a gaming system, but even poorer as the OP has already discovered the instability is due to memory. BFV is quite taxing, and also uses AVX instructions sets. If one is of sound mind you can tune the system without pounding it with current for 8 hours.

Ok, swapping memory slots can often work if one module has less guardband than the other. You can test stability with the tests aforementioned my above post if needed.

The error code on BSoD was constantly the same for 3 failures so I turned XMP off. Worked, went on AORUS website and checked out my mobos compatibility and in small text at the bottom it mention A2&B2 for extra stability using XMP so I did just that and all good. Played Ghost Recon Wildlands for a solid 3 to 4 hours and no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom