• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon 7950 3GB to RX580 8GB

Soldato
OP
Yeah if you look at detailed score you'll see
Gt1=33.47fps Gt2=27.5fps.
So about 2fps difference from yours.

Not disputing the fact there is hardly any fps difference, we were trying to get 5000 graphics score from an RX 580 and this is close. Granted you need a super duper and expensive 10 core CPU with hyperthreading but it can be done (almost) like I said just need a different CPU :)

Soldato
Not disputing the fact there is hardly any fps difference, we were trying to get 5000 graphics score from an RX 580 and this is close. Granted you need a super duper and expensive 10 core CPU with hyperthreading but it can be done (almost) like I said just need a different CPU :)
Well I disagree in the sense the CPU test is calculated seperately in it's own test. The p score isn't showing the graphics card potential.
Hence i did once have the highest Vega64 graphics score on ocuk firestrike 1080p, but my p score put me down in the rankings because I only have a 4770k.
Whilst I agree the graphics score is nigh on 5k, i'm really saying for the sake of 2-3fps, you aren't going to see it or miss it. Be happy with your upgrade from the good old Tahiti.

Soldato
OP
My PowerColor RX580 Red Dragon sounds like an aeroplane when I clock it to 1430/2160 and run Timespy. It's a healthy sign that I am pushing it to its limits. I am sure there are plenty of people out there too scared to overclock stuff but it can't do any harm, worse thing that can happen is that it falls over just reboot and try again!

Associate
Thought I would add to this thread as I just made the same upgrade MSI twin frozr 7950 to powercolor v2 rx580 8gb (my 7950 been broken for 3 years so am ecstatic to get back into decent gaming)

I was going to get the powercolor 590x at £239 but after leaving it in my basket overnight it went back up to £269 and I figured it was not worth the £90 difference from the 580.

My plan is to upgrade my unit fully (i5 2500k stock, 8gb ddr3 1600m ram) when ryzen 3000 comes out and probably go for the 3600 with 16gb ddr4 ram and hopefully upgrade my monitor to a 1440p freesynch one.

I have been out of the loop now for hardware for years so I was researching the rx580 at 1440p and while feedbakc has been somewhat mix from what I can gather the rx580 should be able to handle 1440p even if you have to scale back some settings in some games (which hopefully the freesynch will compensate).

Is that about right? Did I make a decent decision with the 580? I was thinking about waiting until the 600 series is out but that would mean many months with no card so I took an eleventh hour gamble on my last free delivery day before I go back to work.

Associate
Thought I would add to this thread as I just made the same upgrade MSI twin frozr 7950 to powercolor v2 rx580 8gb (my 7950 been broken for 3 years so am ecstatic to get back into decent gaming)

I was going to get the powercolor 590x at £239 but after leaving it in my basket overnight it went back up to £269 and I figured it was not worth the £90 difference from the 580.

My plan is to upgrade my unit fully (i5 2500k stock, 8gb ddr3 1600m ram) when ryzen 3000 comes out and probably go for the 3600 with 16gb ddr4 ram and hopefully upgrade my monitor to a 1440p freesynch one.

I have been out of the loop now for hardware for years so I was researching the rx580 at 1440p and while feedbakc has been somewhat mix from what I can gather the rx580 should be able to handle 1440p even if you have to scale back some settings in some games (which hopefully the freesynch will compensate).

Is that about right? Did I make a decent decision with the 580? I was thinking about waiting until the 600 series is out but that would mean many months with no card so I took an eleventh hour gamble on my last free delivery day before I go back to work.
The fact you are getting a free sync monitor will mean you should be fine. You may have to dial down the settings a bit on the really modern stuff. As the saying goes suck it and see :D

Associate
Got no choice now but I have faith. I just installed the card after a serious dust clearout of my pc. I like the plate on top protecting the main board, pretty neat.

Does this gpuz reading look right? My main concern is the 100% load reading even though the only thing I am doing is surfing the web. Everything else seems to suggest that the card is doing nothing, although I don't know about temps. Is that an ok idle temp?

580.jpg

Never mind, updated to 18.11.2 and the load has gone to 0 and the temps and VVDC voltage has gone down. Seems powercolor driver on their website was not the one to have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom