Thinking about trying Arkham Knight again

Soldato
Digital Foundry know what they are talking about, to accuse them of doing something as idiotic as that is very disingenuous.

Their criticism is that the patch actually runs the first game in the series at a locked 45 fps which is terrible as it isn't divisible in to 60hz, resulting in judder.

Another criticism is that the resolution of the second game is nowhere near even 1080p, despite running on a console with 6Gflops.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ham-is-the-worst-xbox-one-x-upgrade-weve-seen
I can only tell you from my own experience. Pre patch the game looked really sharp & crystal clear on my HDTV with vibrant colour. After the patch it looks even better its clearer & runs much faster. Just because DF analyse the content via reverse engineering frame capture does not make them absolute gods or always 100% accurate. Some HDTV's handle content way better than others (superior high end scaling on 120Mhz panels have unnoticeable screen tearing for instance which is what my display has) capturing the footage & analysing is nowhere near 100% scientifically accurate is it due to so many variables in modern displays & HDMI cables! All I can say for sure is both games but especially Arkham Asylum look & play way better than before on my HDTV!

If I CBA (I can't either BTW :p) and I took screenshots & video capture directly from the Xbox1X & showed the same section running from my Steam 4K edition most gamers would easily see the Xbox1X enhanced version looks way better! The textures have much more detail, the shader FX are way newer due to Unreal Engine4 & whatever Direct X equivalent the Xbox1X is now running. Water FX & shiny surfaces especially look way better than ever before but also there are a few other newer touches like fake HDR & stronger volumetric light ray FX shafts).

If you were standing in front of the X1X playing this game it would look better still screen captures & video do not capture how much better it looks visually and it for sure looks better than ever before ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd still rather play the original on PC in 4K/60hz.

They are some of my favourite games of recent times and yet I didn't buy the Return to Arkham release as the reviews at the time said it made everything too bright and performance was ****.

V F

V F

Soldato
What Arkham games were there again?

I think I remember Asylum, City and Knight. Is that all three and in which order were they released?

I preferred Asylum, it was nice and dark yet grungy. Darker tone and story.

I've still to play through City on the PS4. I also bought the remainder of the Batman series on Steam last month. Origins, Knight+DLC and some other version... That is toon like?

I should probably replay Asylum on PC at some point for the PhysX stuff. The Scarecrow scenes in Asylum were sweet.

Soldato
I'd still rather play the original on PC in 4K/60hz.

They are some of my favourite games of recent times and yet I didn't buy the Return to Arkham release as the reviews at the time said it made everything too bright and performance was ****.
Well FPS is very good now & its not too bright either (you can always turn it down anyway!) its a totally different look to the game as it uses Unreal Engine 4 so ALL the Shader FX are improved which means most surfaces are enhanced. Shinier new shader FX, vastly improved water FX, most of the game features redone much higher res textures as well. Still the exact same gameplay as before that's identical it clearly uses the converted Unreal Engine 3 scripts. Uses the exact same models as well those are identical. But the rest is better than before as its clearly much newer work. Overall I prefer the Return to Arkham Asylum it also even adds a few new graphical FX which are very well done like the flapping around plastic sheets in some corridors. Video & screenshots do not convey the enhancements though you need to see it running on the console to notice all the differences.

Return to Arkham City however that despite using Unreal Engine 4 is lacking something. WB seemed to spend a lot of resource on Return To Asylum but City needs more work in places the lighting FX feels a little off its too bright & no amount of adjustment can fix that. But again it looks better than before due to the Unreal Engine 4 conversion, enhanced shader FX & some (but not many) textures have been upgraded to a higher resolution).

Both games are sold together for around £20 if you can find the physical disc. Its well worth that to me to replay 2 older favorite games with improved graphics and you get to earn the Xbox Live achievements again as they are stackable on your gamertag! WB are never going to bring to PC either they have gone off that because of all the Arkham Knight refunds!

Soldato
Digital Foundry know what they are talking about, to accuse them of doing something as idiotic as that is very disingenuous.

Their criticism is that the patch actually runs the first game in the series at a locked 45 fps which is terrible as it isn't divisible in to 60hz, resulting in judder.

Another criticism is that the resolution of the second game is nowhere near even 1080p, despite running on a console with 6Gflops.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ham-is-the-worst-xbox-one-x-upgrade-weve-seen
well they didn't when they 'reviewed' Redout...

Associate
Does anyone have a game save they could kindly pass on? I was at 47% complete and a lot of hours in and I do not know where my save game has went I’m gutted! If you uninstall the game and install it again later Is your save gone? Thought it should be in the cloud :confused: want to finish the game but I don’t want to start right back at the start, I tried and I’m 4% back in again but this is gonna take a long time to get back to where I was.
Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom