Overclocking an 771cpu on 775 platform

Permabanned
i have just picked up a 775 board and some ocx reaperx because you know... 775 is boarderlind classic stuff now hahaha

any way i was going to put a core2quad cu in it but i do have a box full of 771 xeon's, when you mod a 771 cpu to run on a 775 board can you overclock them the same and is there any memory speed problems?

i know this is old as stuff but i want to play, any old guys out there able to help me it would be super

Associate
Excellent! I have a x5460 runing in my old skt 775 rig. It would clock to over 4ghz and I dont recall having any memory issues. I had corsair xms2 800mhz that would happily run at 900mhz.

Permabanned
OP
that is super i have a x5460 if i could get high 3's that would be super, i dont think the board i picked up will push 4ghz.
just wanted to be 100% i wouldn't have any problem OC'ing it

Man of Honour
Socket 775 was the greatest overclocking platform ever. I have very fond memories of 100% overclocks and higher. Much better than the tiny boosts we can achieve these days. P45 was the best chipset, especially in Asus P5 boards. P31 was surprisingly good as well and Gigabyte's P31-DS3L (if I remember the model right) was a overclocking demon and unbeatable for bang for buck.

Permabanned
Socket 775 was the greatest overclocking platform ever. I have very fond memories of 100% overclocks and higher. Much better than the tiny boosts we can achieve these days. P45 was the best chipset, especially in Asus P5 boards. P31 was surprisingly good as well and Gigabyte's P31-DS3L (if I remember the model right) was a overclocking demon and unbeatable for bang for buck.

yup i had some great times overclocking with my DFI Blood Iron P45 mobo.

Permabanned
OP
My first overclock was sk1156, but I had a few 775 setups just did even know overclock was a thing back them.

I have picked up a cheap P35-DS3L, it as no vrm cooling but all googling says the board is good to rock. And for £15 I don't mind killing it.

I got icebucket water cooling loop so want to see what I can get a cpu upto

I may look for cheap p5k board too

Man of Honour
You could stick some ramsinks on the vrm's. It's a bit tight on the row near the I/O panel but you should get a couple on them and the top row is easy enough. Better than leaving them bare. It's actually not a bad board. Gigabyte turned out some very good budget mobo's in the 775 days. It will be interesting to see how far you can get those Xeons.

Back
Top Bottom