*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
That reminds me, I'm yet to buy a vest top that doesn't even cover my nipples for the gym. Missing out on major gainz there.

Man of Honour
That reminds me, I'm yet to buy a vest top that doesn't even cover my nipples for the gym. Missing out on major gainz there.

I haven’t transitioned to vest tops yet. Which means I’m a short guy stuck in an XL shirt that is so long it makes me look all street and ‘cool’ and probably loses me gains. The vest top users in my gym are far too posy. That said, I have respect for the guy why permanently wears a hoody in all working conditions.

Soldato
I haven’t transitioned to vest tops yet. Which means I’m a short guy stuck in an XL shirt that is so long it makes me look all street and ‘cool’ and probably loses me gains. The vest top users in my gym are far too posy. That said, I have respect for the guy why permanently wears a hoody in all working conditions.

Funny you mention that, I don't wear anything but a hoody to the gym. Keeps any mirror distractions away, no need to wipe any equipment down after use as I don't leave any sweat behind and best of all, covers the flabby bits I'm currently trying to get rid of!

Soldato
I’m in for 2019 gains despite being a weakling cyclist and not being bothered to log. Am doing 531BBB which worked well for the last 3 months of 2018 with aim of a 2xBW squat by the end of the year (140kg ish). I am finding I’m doing 8+ reps on the third week of the programme so may increase my 1RMs in the calculator but don’t mind the high reps. The BBB part did seem to help with size increases

Man of Honour
Yup, it’s january.

The most amount of noise possible for the least amount of weight, check.
Big groups chatting around weights, check.
Using squat/bench racks to lift only the bar, check.
Trendy Instagram exercises, check.

Brilliant.

Associate
Probably a bit late to this thread, but for me consistency is the biggest thing for me to work on. I have still been working out but probably only once a week at the minute; I seem to find myself either poorly or hungover too often to work out. I really ought to be doing this at least twice a week.

I am quite a lazy guy so I have to make things as convenient/easy as possible or I wont stick to it; so I have a home gym, well, basically just a squat rack, bench, bar bell and a few plates, and do 5 compound exercises, and I do a warm up set then one working set. I do squats, bench press, stiff leg deadlift, overhead press and barbell row. I do quite light weight but make sure I do full ROM and good form, and slow reps. An average workout lasts about 20 - 30 minutes. Cardio wise I walk to work and back and another walk on a dinner time, usually do around 15K steps a day.

I’m 40 this year, 5’10, probably about 14.5 stone. A bit chubby. My goal is just go lose the extra chins, moobs and belly. I’m not naturally strong so that’s why I’d rather just be a healthy weight. I haven’t got the outright dedication to the cause, I like a drink of a weekends and like my food, I eat what I like but sensible portions and try and keep protein to about 100g a day.

Caporegime
Probably a bit late to this thread, but for me consistency is the biggest thing for me to work on. I have still been working out but probably only once a week at the minute; I seem to find myself either poorly or hungover too often to work out. I really ought to be doing this at least twice a week.

I am quite a lazy guy so I have to make things as convenient/easy as possible or I wont stick to it; so I have a home gym, well, basically just a squat rack, bench, bar bell and a few plates, and do 5 compound exercises, and I do a warm up set then one working set. I do squats, bench press, stiff leg deadlift, overhead press and barbell row. I do quite light weight but make sure I do full ROM and good form, and slow reps. An average workout lasts about 20 - 30 minutes. Cardio wise I walk to work and back and another walk on a dinner time, usually do around 15K steps a day.

I’m 40 this year, 5’10, probably about 14.5 stone. A bit chubby. My goal is just go lose the extra chins, moobs and belly. I’m not naturally strong so that’s why I’d rather just be a healthy weight. I haven’t got the outright dedication to the cause, I like a drink of a weekends and like my food, I eat what I like but sensible portions and try and keep protein to about 100g a day.

Well, the hangover issue can be solved quite easily :p

The home gym, sometimes that can be people's downfall, astheydont need to go anywhere to work out, which then means you'll make more excuses to not do it - that being said, it's upto you to use the stuff, personally I feel like I'd do more if I had a decent home gym, but until I get my own place that's not a mid terrace, it's the gym for me.

Soldato
It is about consistency particularly when starting out, only missed 2 sessions since back end of October.

Today was one of those days when didn't want to go in, bad day all round and nutrition garbage with too few calories. Didn't even finish last 3 reps on the bench and squats a bit all over the place.

Only exercise I seem to do really well in is bent over barbell row, should probably be going heavier on it.

Associate
Hi. Don't post much in the gym's threads here, not sure why to be honest.

Anyway, have been in and out of gym's for years now. For the last year I have been going regularly to a 24 hour gym local to me. I work shifts so get up to the gym at really odd hours so suits me to the ground. The gym itself is excellent, lots of great, well looked after equipment, and it is run by a couple you are very much into bodybuilding.

What I would like is some advice. The one exercise I can't do, and have never, ever been able to do successfully, is the deadlift. Not sure why, don't know if it is me just getting the form/technique wrong or if there is some bigger, underlying issue.

To put it in perspective my bench press at the moment is 75kg for reps. I weigh about 85kg at the moment. I am not even able to comfortably deadlift 90kg without hurting my back. I tried at the start of December and just ended up putting myself out of exercising for a week.

I have very limited mobility in my right ankle due to a football injury (still have a plate in it) so am wondering if that is contributing to me not getting into a correct position. I try to look at other people doing deadlifts and can't see that I am doing anything different to them. I have tried to deadlift with a trap bar and to be honest that seems fine (this is what I am doing at the moment). Is it worth me paying for a PT to see if they can give me some input into what I might be doing wrong or is it just not worth worrying about?

Thanks.

Associate
Well, the hangover issue can be solved quite easily :p

The home gym, sometimes that can be people's downfall, astheydont need to go anywhere to work out, which then means you'll make more excuses to not do it - that being said, it's upto you to use the stuff, personally I feel like I'd do more if I had a decent home gym, but until I get my own place that's not a mid terrace, it's the gym for me.

Haha yes I know :)

It's not the home element that's the problem. It's me! But I know if I can string a few sessions together it will all be good. The only thing I really miss about normal gyms are the women in Lycra :D

Soldato
Hi. Don't post much in the gym's threads here, not sure why to be honest.

Anyway, have been in and out of gym's for years now. For the last year I have been going regularly to a 24 hour gym local to me. I work shifts so get up to the gym at really odd hours so suits me to the ground. The gym itself is excellent, lots of great, well looked after equipment, and it is run by a couple you are very much into bodybuilding.

What I would like is some advice. The one exercise I can't do, and have never, ever been able to do successfully, is the deadlift. Not sure why, don't know if it is me just getting the form/technique wrong or if there is some bigger, underlying issue.

To put it in perspective my bench press at the moment is 75kg for reps. I weigh about 85kg at the moment. I am not even able to comfortably deadlift 90kg without hurting my back. I tried at the start of December and just ended up putting myself out of exercising for a week.

I have very limited mobility in my right ankle due to a football injury (still have a plate in it) so am wondering if that is contributing to me not getting into a correct position. I try to look at other people doing deadlifts and can't see that I am doing anything different to them. I have tried to deadlift with a trap bar and to be honest that seems fine (this is what I am doing at the moment). Is it worth me paying for a PT to see if they can give me some input into what I might be doing wrong or is it just not worth worrying about?

Thanks.
I'd agree with your idea to pay for some coaching.

Im no expert, and I'm sure some will be along shortly to give better help, but, in my experience, what I perceive to be a similar lack of ankle mobility is one big contributor to me "butt winking" whenever I deadlift, and I definitely feel this is limiting my lifting, and intensifying stress on my back.

Ymmv, but, again, in my experience, there aren't many coaches that know what do about it though!

I'm contemplating switching partially to rack lifts, while working on mobility as much as possible. I'm just going to have a few weeks of attempting 200kg (2xbodyweight) and then I'm gonna reduce weight and come at it again.

Caporegime
I'd agree with your idea to pay for some coaching.

Im no expert, and I'm sure some will be along shortly to give better help, but, in my experience, what I perceive to be a similar lack of ankle mobility is one big contributor to me "butt winking" whenever I deadlift, and I definitely feel this is limiting my lifting, and intensifying stress on my back.

Ymmv, but, again, in my experience, there aren't many coaches that know what do about it though!

I'm contemplating switching partially to rack lifts, while working on mobility as much as possible. I'm just going to have a few weeks of attempting 200kg (2xbodyweight) and then I'm gonna reduce weight and come at it again.

Needs vids tbh

Back
Top Bottom