**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Does a 125 need PS4s though?

I ended up going for Continental ExtremeContacts. The Michelin’s were $450 a corner and the Conti’s were $230. I can’t see how they’re $200 worse, maybe if I was tracking it or it was a Ferrari/Porsche/etc the extra would be worth it.

The Continentals are infinitely better in every way than the P-Zeros they replaced - quieter, more grip, etc. They have a warranty for 50k miles too, Michelin’s were only 20k

Soldato
Does a 125 need PS4s though?

I ended up going for Continental ExtremeContacts. The Michelin’s were $450 a corner and the Conti’s were $230. I can’t see how they’re $200 worse, maybe if I was tracking it or it was a Ferrari/Porsche/etc the extra would be worth it.

The Continentals are infinitely better in every way than the P-Zeros they replaced - quieter, more grip, etc. They have a warranty for 50k miles too, Michelin’s were only 20k

I put PS4s on my F11 520d, they're only about £15 (£145 each) a corner more than everything else so there's no real reason not too. The car might not be powerful but it's still rear wheel drive and you can never have enough grip.

Man of Honour
What’s the best place to pickup some replacements for my 5 series 275/35/R19 tubeless please chaps....

Prices of this size have gone nuts recently, my last set of rears were £160 each for Eagle F1 AS3 BMW Star marked RFT. I'm now looking at £220 for the same tyre. None of the online places seem that cheap now, its looking like even places like Kwik Fit are offering similar value :(

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'll need to replace the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the front (will swap with rears) of the A6 before winters come off.
I see the Pilot Sport 4S is the replacement, but is the 4S a 'UUHP'? Seems overkill on a 2.0TDI but the PSSs have worn extremely well (still over 6mm on the rear in 30k miles and the fronts are down to 3ish but I noticed a significant decrease in performance in the autumn).

Caporegime
For snow driving is there actually that much difference between a cheap winter tyre and an expensive one? Since its just the tread design that holds snow and uses snow to grip against snow right?

I'm guessing the main way they will be inferior is for non snow driving. Cold roads/wet roads/etc.

Asking for a friend :p

Man of Honour
Good winter tyres are exceptional. I drove a 6 Series GT to the top of an Austrian ski resort last week in heavy snow without a single activation of the traction control. It was astonishing. Some of the others I saw were using snow chains!

Trouble is we just don't have conditions like that in the UK very often :(

Back
Top Bottom