The big upgrade!

Associate
I usually build a PC and it lasts me around 8 years or so. The one in my sig is over 8 years old now. I think the only thing I changed since the original build is the GPU because there was a decent deal on on a 780. So I am looking at upgrading. I've seen this pre-built system on overclockers and really like the look of it. It only has an 8086k CPU though so not the latest gen. I know it'll be a beast in comparison to my current setup however in my head I'm thinking I should prob go for a 9th gen CPU. Do you think it wise to spend out the amount shown on that system? P.S. I am also thinking whether I should ask Overclockers to fit a 1080ti instead of a 2080. Is ram the better thing to have over ray tracing? is there any other wizadry in the 2080 that is worth having over the larger ram capacity of the 1080ti? Toughts and opinions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

pMobBMQ.jpg

I usually do build my own systems however with a just over 1 year old daughter to keep entertained time isn't quite so available these days so I figured this time round I'd look at a pre-overclocked system. This one caught my eye due to the price and 5.0Ghz clock.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 8086K is an earlier generation. Look at the 9xxx CPUs and also pay attention to AMD - they're rumoured to be about to launch the new generation of Threadripper CPUs at CES in the coming week.

And bite the bullet and get yourself a 2080 Ti.

Associate
OP
That's a lot of bullet to bite buying a 2080ti! I'm cringing at the price of the above setup a little as it'll be the most I've ever spent on a build. £2k is the most I've spent on a tower to date. Are the 9xxx CPUs a big leap ahead? I've read they've more cores alas there isn't much that takes advantage of those cores currently? As you also suggest it might be a good idea to sit and wait and see what AMD bring to the table. It has been a while since I had an AMD powered rig. The last one I built used an Athlon xp3200 (I think). It was certainly an Athlon XP****. Fair few years ago that was now.

Soldato
@Gixer

whats your monitor res/hz/sync tech ?

Pre-build , saving some cash for like for like spec's -

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Kinetic ZX - Intel Z390 Configurable Coffee Lake Refresh DDR4 Gaming PC = £2,136.94
    • Case:phanteks Eclipse P350X Glass Digital RGB Midi Tower Case - Black
    • Processor:Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G30
    • Primary Drive:Intel 660P 2TB M.2-2280 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe QLC 3D NAND Solid State Drive (SSDPEKNW020T801)
    • Secondary Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - *System Stock*
    • Graphics Card:Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 AMP Edition 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Security Software:**Special Offer** Bullguard Internet Security - Anti-Virus and Security - 1 Year 3 PC
Total: £2,151.04 (includes shipping: £14.10)

full package with monitor and 3 games if needs be

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,477.16 (includes shipping: £23.10)​

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply Orbital. Currently I only have a 24" 1920x1080 monitor. The PC I buy will end up connected to a 3440x1440 monitor, at least that is the short term future plan (within a year). I fly simulators a fair bit and enjoy racing sims too and cannot be bothered with a multiple monitor setup hence going for a monitor of this size. I may also venture into the world of VR at some point with this new PC.

That 1st build in your list is interesting. I'd be playing the silicone lottery a little as I'd have to apply the OC myself. It doesn't list which mobo comes with that PC though. The mobo in my current PC was great for OC'ing, it'd be nice to know what mobo is in it so I could take a look at the specs of the mobo itself.

Thanks for highlighting if I build again myself I could save a fair amount. Reckon I could teach a 1 year old how to build, or maybe a little too early for that lesson?! :D

Soldato
Thanks for the reply Orbital. Currently I only have a 24" 1920x1080 monitor. The PC I buy will end up connected to a 3440x1440 monitor, at least that is the short term future plan (within a year). I fly simulators a fair bit and enjoy racing sims too and cannot be bothered with a multiple monitor setup hence going for a monitor of this size. I may also venture into the world of VR at some point with this new PC.

That 1st build in your list is interesting. I'd be playing the silicone lottery a little as I'd have to apply the OC myself. It doesn't list which mobo comes with that PC though. The mobo in my current PC was great for OC'ing, it'd be nice to know what mobo is in it so I could take a look at the specs of the mobo itself.

Thanks for highlighting if I build again myself I could save a fair amount. Reckon I could teach a 1 year old how to build, or maybe a little too early for that lesson?! :D

if your planning to use FlightSim X , GPU horse power and CPU speed is key, they still haven't updated to vulkan coding yet - would mean multicore CPUs are better used but again, more cores with faster speeds would be the king for that Sim.

1440p Ultra wide, freesync is again the cheaper option, paired with vega but its power would be less then say rtx 2080 with an ultra wide, but your looking at double the costs .

the mobo is Gigabyte , entry board, which is better then most Z370 and middle tier Z390! its a 10+2 Phase design ! Aorus boards feature 12+1 and then Flagship aorus are 12+2 and 16 phase design but overkill!

you'll be able to build the system Easily ! have a boy thats 3 and girls thats 2 in May , he knows were all the parts go for a PC :)
whats the problem is..... is game time! 6-18 month period is by far the worst! find I hardly game but now do have the time as they both finally sleep through the night at 8pm bed time :D

Associate
OP
That is a beast of a monitor! The only issue I see with it is the price at the moment.

if your planning to use FlightSim X , GPU horse power and CPU speed is key, they still haven't updated to vulkan coding yet - would mean multicore CPUs are better used but again, more cores with faster speeds would be the king for that Sim.

1440p Ultra wide, freesync is again the cheaper option, paired with vega but its power would be less then say rtx 2080 with an ultra wide, but your looking at double the costs .

the mobo is Gigabyte , entry board, which is better then most Z370 and middle tier Z390! its a 10+2 Phase design ! Aorus boards feature 12+1 and then Flagship aorus are 12+2 and 16 phase design but overkill!

you'll be able to build the system Easily ! have a boy thats 3 and girls thats 2 in May , he knows were all the parts go for a PC :)
whats the problem is..... is game time! 6-18 month period is by far the worst! find I hardly game but now do have the time as they both finally sleep through the night at 8pm bed time :D

I do currently use FSX with a whole host of addons however I plan to change to Prepar3D as with the scenery and aircarft addons I use OOM errors started occurring so I had to tweak to accommodate those. Not sure how good the latest X-Plane is compared to Prepar3D or what the addon packages are like for it either. I also have a gliding sim called Condor2 though this runs perfectly well on my current system. Driving sims I only have Assetto Corsa currently. I play a few FPS games too. The new Insurgency Sandstorm uses the Unreal 4 engine which seems to need loads of computing power too!

I'll be able to build the PC as long as the little one doesn't get her mits on any of the bits and decide they look a bit tasty and eat them. That'd slow the build down by a few days whilst I wait :D Tell me about the lack of time for gaming. I manage to cram the odd hour in here or there. Daughter quite likes all the lights and buttons on my HOTAS setup so when flying she'll sit happily lowering / raising the gear or turning smoke on / off (remapped buttons to limit damage). She's not too sure on the FF steering wheel, especially when I drive us over kerbs :D I'm fast approaching 41 (March) but still enjoy gaming, it's like an escape for me. I also took up flying gliders for real a few years back so I practice launch failures etc in the sim as sometimes I can't get up to the airfield as often as I'd like either. There just aren't enough hours in each day!

Soldato
Haha, glad to hear your keeping your own corner of sanity !

Intel will did help with Sims . Just cant beat the game horse power of Speed and IMC .
Coding will improve over time for more cores but it'll still love speed regardless . Just the way they are .

Worth building, specially in the evening .

You'll be able to through it together in an hour, what you'll find is going back and redoing it afterwards in a few days when you get the time to do cables 100% etc :D

Back
Top Bottom