What book are you reading...

Associate
Don't know much about reading lights as I'm single and don't need to worry about that. But I got a Kindle that I use when I'm away or at work.

Memory Man by Baldacci is really good, I've read all the books in that series (think it is 4 books out). Baldacci got several series that are pretty good in the crime genre.
If you want to read more good crime authors you got Michael Connelly and his series about Harry Bosch, John Connolly and his Charlie Parker-series (which delves into a bit of fantasy/supernatural stuff too), Scott Mariani (Ben Hope) and if you want something closer you have Mark Billingham and his Thorpe-series based in the London area and Ian Rankin's John Rebus up in Edinburgh.

Thank you for the suggestions. Finished Memory Man this morning, enjoyed it. I will most likely read the rest in the series.

For now I have Dan Brown The Da Vinci Code to read.

Associate
Is that the one which is three novellas based on real events? If so I read it a long time ago. But like 1980, not 1952! QUOTE]

Meridian, hi
I think you are thinking of Monsarrat's "Three Corvettes" but maybe the other trio of which "the Ship that died of shame" is one. These get mixes reviews these days 'cos people don't realise that they were written and published during WW2. Thus, the Censors had to approve publication.
If you fancy a good fiction yarn at sea- The Nylon Pirates is a curiosity. Take a cruise liner, men who should behave better, a con-man, a bevy of (ahem ;)) working girls and some blackmail action…..
(Reminder to self- must read it again)

Question to all- I re-read books that I find enjoyable/ interesting. Am I alone? SWMBO thinks so!

Man of Honour
Started this this very morning.

33386040004_f200430fee_b.jpg

Soldato
I've read the book and really enjoyed it, but I haven't seen any of the movies yet. Maybe should try do that next week sometime
I've not heard anyone say they disliked the movie (Swedish or US version.) I certainly don't dislike the US version but I much prefer the Swedish adaptation, I think it reflects the book perfectly and actually amplifies the heart of the characters more with it's direction and awesome cast.

Associate
Finished Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre last week, an outline of the 1943 deception operation to fool the Germans into the belief that the Allies would not invade Sicily. Executed by the illegal acquisition of a corpse, creation of a fiction around his life and military employment and executed via dropping the corpse off Spanish waters by submarine, in the knowledge it would come to the attention of German Abwehr spies in the region. A now well-known story written with a very light touch.

Started on Double Cross by the same author, which furthers on some of the personalities in Operation Mincemeat and details the activities of five key double agents in the run up to D-Day.

Associate
Having a book break from the Expanse series. I've opted for Jason Fox's (Foxy from the SAS show) Battle Scars. Easy to pick up and read. Interesting hearing about his PTSD and depression. War isn't kind.

Associate
Dune. So far not entirely enjoying it. I hate books with lots of unpronouncable names :o
Hi Scam
Dune- don't bother pronouncing the names. I've read the six-book trilogy several times over the decades and it still beats me!
The breadth and scale of the whole set earns my appreciation. (I'd like to say 'awesome' but I'm the wrong generation!)
Despite the complexities and timescale, I haven't detected any incongruities or inconsistencies, which satisfies my ocd. Unlike Hobbit and Lord of the Rings where the Orcs differ considerably.

Of the dvds, the Dune featuring Sting is not the best. Children of Dune has much much better cgi Worms that look the real deal.

An oddity- I've tried several other books by Herbert but could not get into them

Associate
Finished Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre last week, an outline of the 1943 deception operation to fool the Germans into the belief that the Allies would not invade Sicily. Executed by the illegal acquisition of a corpse, creation of a fiction around his life and military employment and executed via dropping the corpse off Spanish waters by submarine, in the knowledge it would come to the attention of German Abwehr spies in the region. A now well-known story written with a very light touch.

The 2018 release of M Thatcher's papers revealed that the father of the dead person gave his permission for his son's corpse to be used to further the war effort in an unspecified manner. The father, being close to his own death, wrote to M Thatcher asking if, due the long elapsed time, if he could be privately told what transpired. MPM Thatcher agreed to his request. The identities the father and son are still not in the public arena.
There was a Horizon documentary (or similarly intelligent) tv programme last year which covered the Operation in some detail from the British/ Allies, Spanish and German perspectives. The subsequent events showed that the deception worked.
There is a film about Op. Mincemeat called (IIRC) called "The Man Who Never Was". Shown on Talking Pictures tv channel occasionally.

Associate
I cannot recall the last time I actually read a book for myself. In fact I don't think I've ever finished a book. Read with the kids but doesn't really count.

Yesterday I decided I would get a library card. I know nothing about authors so just picked up a couple of random books from the crime section.

Currently 250 pages through David Baldacci Memory Man. I'm really enjoying it, not put it down.

Think I'm going to need a book reading light so I don't disturb my wife during the week. Anyone using one they would recommend?

I have one of these which is pretty good
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DKLY...t=&hvlocphy=9046814&hvtargid=pla-299717361751

Associate
Just curious what you mean by this? Different tribes of Orcs have different ways. It's also a different time, years before the Lord of the Rings.
Aren't they goblins in The Hobbit anyway, not Orcs?

Different tribes? That's possible /probable. But Hobbits, dwarves & elves didn't change appearance(s). Gandalf was always the same for millennia :confused:
I'd forgotten the goblins, they must have hexed me...…:eek:.

Associate
Just finished To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, absolutely loved it. Don't know why it have taken me such a long time to read it but it was a really good book. Recently I've read two modern classics (the other one being "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac) and of these two books I found To Kill A Mockingbird much better. On The Road was good but didn't really grip me in the same way for some reason.

Soldato
(the other one being "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac).............. On The Road was good but didn't really grip me in the same way for some reason.
Just bought this a couple of days ago. I've not really done a lot of reading since a teenager (now 36), but am currently reading some Jon Ronson (Psychopath Test), which got me thinking of gonzo journalism, which got me thinking of Bukowski, which got me thinking of the beat generation. So I thought I should actually read some of that stuff (also bought a Bukowski), rather than just Wiki it :D

Back
Top Bottom