ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K announced

Associate
https://pcmonitors.info/asus/asus-xg438q-43-inch-120hz-4k-va-model-with-vesa-displayhdr-600/
ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K VA model with VESA DisplayHDR 600
The monitor offers a ‘4K’ UHD (3840 x 2160) VA panel with a 120Hz refresh rate and a light matte anti-glare screen surface, believed to be from AU Optronics. AMD FreeSync 2 is also supported on compatible GPUs with a variable refresh rate range of 48 – 120Hz. This iteration of the technology also mandates LFC (Low Frame Rate Compensation) to offer an even higher effective range of operation. Another aspect of FreeSync 2 is support for the HDR10 pipeline, which is not tied specifically to FreeSync and can be enjoyed by Nvidia GPU users with compatible GPUs as well. The monitor supports VESA DisplayHDR 600, which encompasses amongst other things effective backlight local dimming as a requirement. Coupled with pulses of high brightness (600 cd/m²+) for areas of the screen displaying the brightest content, this allows a significant boost in contrast compared to SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) LCDs. 10-bit colour is supported and a flicker-free LED backlight is employed with supports for 90% DCI-P3 – two other important boxes for VESA DisplayHDR 600 ticked. The typical maximum luminance is 450 cd/m², with enhanced luminance pulses for HDR as noted previously. A range of ‘Low Blue Light’ (LBL) setting are also included to aid relaxing viewing, particularly useful in the hours leading up to bed when blue light exposure should be minimised.

Here's Asus announcement
https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...n-gaming-with-freesync-hdr-2-at-4k-and-120hz/

Give me a way to preorder! Take my money plx!

Last edited:
Soldato
Is anyone with an AMD card seriously even thinking about 4K?? Really?? I'm curious if this monitor is going to work with G-Sync, in line with Nvidia's announcement, or if there will be a G-Sync version of it?

Associate
Have to admit this has peaked my interest. I am guessing this will be similar to the Mango 43 Monitors with 120Hz but hopefully better colour reproduction.

Those you could have got on ebay for £650 with discount codes but then you would have to pay import taxes and god help you if they go wrong.

Associate
OP
Would £1500-1700 put you off? I'm expecting this to hit that mark easily.
I think it would because I expect Philips will enter the market with a similar product by the end of the year given they've supported the 40"+ monitor segment for the last few years, I think my max would be £1200, if they could keep it under a grand my end goal would be three of them.

Looking at Asus's current offerings I could see an £1100 launch price before a dip to £995 to catch everyone put off by a four digit price tag.

Last edited:
Soldato
Certainly looks interesting, although may see competition from HDMI 2.1 TV's supporting variable refresh rates and 120Hz.

I know LG has announced OLEDs with such features, but will any upcoming LCDs at a smaller size, and therefore a rival to this 43" monitor? OLED options are mostly going to be far too big for desktop use, and regardless isn't a good choice for a dedicated PC monitor due to likelihood of burn-in. But if a VRR TV will work with an Nvidia GPU, it does appear to make the 65" BFGD monitor redundant before it's even been released. Why would you buy that for lounge/bedroom use if you can get a superior OLED for gaming? OLED might even be cheaper given the $5K price of the BFGD.

It's just a shame Nvidia were so backward thinking by not including HDMI 2.1 on the RTX cards.

Soldato
HDMI 2.1 was barely even a finalized spec when Turing architecture was being developed.

For a GPU range that claimed to be "light years ahead" and has the ray tracing tech that it does, HDMI 2.1 wouldn't have been THAT much of a stretch for them to incorporate, if they'd WANTED to. They just didn't.

Associate
How far back are people sitting from these 40”+ monitors? I was checking out a 37.5 ultra wide and honestly I couldn’t decide if it was too big given my normal sitting position of 24-30”. 40-43” feels like it would be waaay over the top at that distance...

Associate
OP
22-26 inches, the pixel density is very similar to that of a 30" 2560x1600, so it's as comfortable and usable at its native resolution, no zoomed apps, but with a huge amount of screen space. I previously had a 40" and it was a touch too small.

Soldato
43" 4K will have a PPI of 104. A 32" 4K monitor is 137 PPI. So big (and noticeable) difference there. A 34" 1440p UW will actually be marginally sharper at 109 PPI (although you wouldn't notice), and the recently announced LG 38GL950G 38" UW (3840x1600) will be 110 PPI. Furthermore, both are easier to drive than 4K at 43" while still looking equally as good in terms of sharpness. Factor in the likely extortionate price of the XG438Q and it does make you think.

This is all very important to consider if the distance you sit from your monitor is likely to remain the same.

Associate
43" 4K will have a PPI of 104. A 32" 4K monitor is 137 PPI. So big (and noticeable) difference there. A 34" 1440p UW will actually be marginally sharper at 109 PPI (although you wouldn't notice), and the recently announced LG 38GL950G 38" UW (3840x1600) will be 110 PPI. Furthermore, both are easier to drive than 4K at 43" while still looking equally as good in terms of sharpness. Factor in the likely extortionate price of the XG438Q and it does make you think.

This is all very important to consider if the distance you sit from your monitor is likely to remain the same.

One more thing for me anyway that its not curved and its flat. After using curved monitors for a while going back to a flat large monitor just feels very very strange. The larger the screen the worse it is ( for flat monitors ) imho.

Associate
How far back are people sitting from these 40”+ monitors? I was checking out a 37.5 ultra wide and honestly I couldn’t decide if it was too big given my normal sitting position of 24-30”. 40-43” feels like it would be waaay over the top at that distance...

Using a 40" monitor about 26" away. Coming from a 27" monitor it is was very overwhelming initially but now got totally used to it and couldn't imaging going back to smaller sizes.

Caporegime
Using a 40" monitor about 26" away. Coming from a 27" monitor it is was very overwhelming initially but now got totally used to it and couldn't imaging going back to smaller sizes.

I'm about 20" away from my 27in Predator which I find to be pretty perfect, but yes I've tried about that with a 40 and takes some getting used to!

Associate
For a GPU range that claimed to be "light years ahead" and has the ray tracing tech that it does, HDMI 2.1 wouldn't have been THAT much of a stretch for them to incorporate, if they'd WANTED to. They just didn't.

A lot more goes into designing architectures than just simply saying "I want X now". It would have pushed Turing to the right many months. Which actually turned out to be wise anyway, considering only a very tiny percentage of displays (LG OLED) will have HDMI 2.1 ports in 2019.

Soldato
A lot more goes into designing architectures than just simply saying "I want X now". It would have pushed Turing to the right many months. Which actually turned out to be wise anyway, considering only a very tiny percentage of displays (LG OLED) will have HDMI 2.1 ports in 2019.

I agree, but it should have been pushed. Turing was put out wayyyy too early, but more than likely because Nvidia saw the window of opportunity before 7nm. Had they delayed Turing months, it wouldn't have given it enough time to get a foothold. Arguably that decision has backfired somewhat given the lukewarm response (or rather their pricing getting people all riled up), share price plummeting etc.

Soldato
One more thing for me anyway that its not curved and its flat. After using curved monitors for a while going back to a flat large monitor just feels very very strange. The larger the screen the worse it is ( for flat monitors ) imho.

That is a valid. I went from an X34 (curved) to a 32" flat and didn't really notice, but I ended up about 10cm less in width (80cm down to about 70cm). A 43" is going to be about 94-95cm wide though... so I do think a curve would benefit given that extra 15cm width over a 34" UW which already benefits from the curve. I've sat in front of a flat 34" UW before and it didn't feel right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom