Z390 i7-9700k Seriously High Temps

Associate
Hi all

First post but long time PC gamer/builder.

Just upgraded from 3770k to 9700K on an Asus TUF Z390 Pro Gaming board.
Case is a BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 (huge) and cooling is a new Corsair H105 (240) AIO in push/pull.
Corsair Vengance 3200 DDR4 ram 32GB. (4x8gb)

For whatever reason I'm unable to get the temps down. Idle is fine as in ambient is 25 and the CPU package is 29-32.
As soon as any load is on the CPU, ie Prime95, Cinebench etc it wacks up to 90+. This is with the fans on full speed (manual control :) and reapplied MX4 paste. Thermal Throttling occurs and this is at stock speeds! Not even started to try overclocking. Even just light gaming it's hitting 80+
Voltage I've tried Auto, adaptive 1.3 and offset -.09 etc.. with LLC3-6.

I've got direct Molex power to the pump, though I have tried the AIO header on the board too.
The cooler is fitting fine. I've tried the stock paste on the H105, MX4 and IC Graphite Pads. Same results with all of them.

Fans in the case are 3 x 140 intake (2 front 1 under) 4x120 in push / pull on the AIO. (top mounted) and 1 x 120 rear by the gfx. (case is inverted so GPU is above the CPU)

Gfx is a 1070ti Zotac Mini so it can dump heat in the case, though Prime doesn't hit the GPU in these tests.
(I have an H75 and G12 to watercool the gfx soon anyway)

I've disabled the Asus Multicore Enhancement, played around with the core voltage with offsets etc, LLC's and tried even underclocking it to 4.4 turbo, but it still craps out with temps. I've also tried swapping out the RAM and running just 16gb with the same results.

I'm at a loss as to where the problem is. I've updated the BIOS, loaded defaults, turned off turbo etc and still the temps are crazy high. I've read that these chips should be happy enough @ 4.9 on all cores or even 5.0+ with pretty much the same cooling (240) that I have.

Unsure if it's a bad CPU / Solder TIM, crap motherboard or a dodgy cooler.

Will try fitting my H75 on it tomorrow but being smaller I'm not expecting any improvement.

Just wondered if anyone had any other thoughts on this situation before I scream and send all the parts back for RMA.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Is the CPU cooler set as intake or exhaust? Not that it should make things this bad without GPU load.

Is the radiator getting warm? I doubt it's a dead pump as you're saying idle temps are ok, but you didn't mention a speed readout.

Associate
OP
Thanks for replying.

Rad is an exhaust at the top. Radiator gets only slightly warm only at the point where the intake pipe meets the radiator. Its brand new so I'd hope it's not the aio that's dead. Touching the side of the rad it doesn't feel hot at all.

When I had it on the aio header on the board it showed 1800 rpm for the pump.

Forgot to mention when running prime even though the temps are within ''limits" it'll hard lock the pc after a few minutes.

So many parts from different suppliers it's a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Associate
I would try your AIO as an intake at the front if you can, I moved mine to the top as an exhaust to try it out and my temps went up loads

Soldato
What happens if you take the side off and let it run?

If temps go down significantly, then there's clearly an airflow issue getting cool air into the case. If not, then it does look like there may be an issue elsewhere.

Associate
OP
Should have said this is with the case side and top off. It's open so temps should be lower.

I'm gonna install the H75 tonight as it's the same mb mounting so should be simple to change. what a mare!

Soldato
As already stated, either pump is not flowing because of air-lock (maybe bad pump) or more mount to CPU. Best way to make sure pump is flowing coolant is have radiator above pump and shake the pump/waterblock. Sometimes you can do this in system but be careful of GPU. Maybe remove GPU before shaking system because it's weight is all supported by PCIe socket on motherboard and we don't want to damage the PCIe socket.

Not likely, but maybe you didn't remove the plastic film from bottom of pump/waterblock? Many of us have done this when we weren't thinking. :p

Associate
I would tune Vccio and vccsa to save some degrees

Vccio 1.05 and vccsa 1.05 also and test... These volts I found are way too high on auto on many z390 boards.

This. Get voltages off of auto. Also mentioned 1.3v adaptive? Get it on manual and drop down to 1.2-1.25v or less with llc6.

If the AIO pump isn't working then your idle temps will keep rising. Should be somewhere around 25-30deg on idle. (give or take depending on setup. Let it sit in bios)

Associate
OP
I've heard these new boards can be thinner than previous boards, and as such the CPU mounting doesn't get enough pressure on the IHS.

When installing the riser posts there was some play to the board, however screwing down the pump it seemed snug as a bug in a rug.

I've picked out some rubber washers to pad out the rear plate of the cooler and will try that tonight also.

You'd think by this day and age things would be easier....

Associate
OP
Right - evening all.
So I got the food shopping over and done with the Missus, so I can tinker on the system now.
Before ripping out the aio, i've set the VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.05, and the CPU to 1.2.
At stock speeds (46x) all is fine. Running prime gives 55c and using small fft's gives 65c.

Bumping up to 47x with a 1.23 cpu and 1.07 on the vccio/vccsa i'm getting 58 in prime and 70 on the small fft's.
Had a few sudden shutdowns and resets at 1.2v until I bumped to 1.23. . It's been running prime for 50 mins and still at 70c.

Will try again shortly at 48x.. Should get somewhere near 50x with temps below 80c I hope..
So the solution certainly was the cpu core voltage and the vccio/vccsa.
(though strangely the radiator still feels cold on the sides!)

Will update the results soon. Thanks for all your input and advice.. these new BIOS' are a bit of a minefield to setup...

Associate
OP
ok. Multiplyer set at 48 (so 4.8ghz on all 8 cores) Voltage @ 1.26 and the VCCio and VCCSA now at 1.09.
It'll run prime blend all day at 60c, but when using small fft's it gets to 75c then just freezes after about 10 minutes.
Have to manually reboot.
Think I've either got a lemon of a chip or the board is duff. The temps seem to be okay though I'll try the shims under the cpu bracket tomorrow now.
Maybe I should RMA the board and the CPU and get a slightly better board.
(psu is 1000w coolermaster so it's not the psu at fault)

Annoyingly there's no guides online for Asus BIOS for a 9700k to compare / copy the settings for a 5ghz oc.

unless anyone here has a similar setup? ;)

Associate
It's not stable on [email protected]. Not all chips are created equal, 5ghz is not guaranteed. If x47 needs 1.23v then there's no way x48 will be stable at 1.26v.

Think you'll struggle to rma them as they work as they should. You've just not got a great cpu for OC.

If it's any consolation, you'll probably never notice the difference in game anyway.

Associate
Hello, not sure if this will help but here's what the person who overclocked my system had to do to get it stable at 4.8ghz.
Basically he had to flip the rear fan to make it draw air from outside the case, and made a "box" to redirect the air on the 2 black bars, the one the left side and the top
of the CPU (sorry I don't know what they are called, I think they are related to the voltage). the moment he did this he had no problem making the system pass the tests he was using to overclock.
And before he did this the test would always fail because those 2 parts would always overheat. guess its poor design? hope this helps. here are a few pictures.

https://imgur.com/2qgQLsI
https://imgur.com/X2lp9Hh
https://imgur.com/6dBZZZM
https://imgur.com/tUDjzzK

Soldato
The trouble is, air coolers are pants for overclocking as are the majority of AIO’s which match top end air coolers.

When the CPU starts to get really hot it needs even more voltage to keep it stable. If it can’t keep it cool enough in the first place adding more voltage is counterproductive.

AIO and air - fine for stock volts and light overclocking pants for anything else.

Soldato
The trouble is, air coolers are pants for overclocking as are the majority of AIO’s which match top end air coolers.

When the CPU starts to get really hot it needs even more voltage to keep it stable. If it can’t keep it cool enough in the first place adding more voltage is counterproductive.

AIO and air - fine for stock volts and light overclocking pants for anything else.

It costs less to have fast stock CPU with air cooling than ti does to run slower stock speed CPU and need to overclock it to match. ;) 99.9% of us have no need to overclock or use expensive custom loops. We do it for fun and some to massage their egos with higher number than others can get .. and that is all fine and good as long as we don't try and rationalize overclocking and custom loops being a being necessary part of computer builds.

Associate
Hey all, I was running into some seriously high temps running
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060
SSD: HyperX Savage 120GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB
MBD: Asus PRIME Z390-A
Corsair H100i V2

SOLVED TEMP ISSUES
the mounting bracket that comes with your H100i for Intel Chip is not tight enough therefore the cooling block doesn't make enough contact with the CPU.
Made myself some custom washers to sit on the back of the MOBO with the H100i Mounting Bracket to add 1/32" between the Mounting Bracket and back of MotherBoard.
Went from 100C under load before fix to 50C under 50% load.

I hope this solves someone's similar problem.
Going through this entire thread gave me the idea as I had gone through all other options.

Back
Top Bottom