AfD MP hospitalised. Attempted murder.

Caporegime
Well why would you want the attack to "help the AfD" if you didn't think they were great?
What a silly argument.

I don’t think they are great people and disagree with a lot of their policies. I do however agree with their views on loss of identity through further European integration and Germany’s almost open door policy.

They don’t deserve being bashed up and nearly killed though. If the boot was on the other foot and it was a far left politician this had been done to, the outrage would have been deafening.

The double standards are atrocious.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Because your post added so much information to the thread? Clearly robfosters thinks it would be positive for AfD to do well. That wasn't hard to discern. A constructive reply from you would have been to say why that is or isn't the case. Not a snippy expression of mock disbelief that someone should say such a thing.

Yes, you're right. My excuse is that I was using one hand at that point while on the phone.

But yes it was mock disbelief that someone would want a nationalist political party that has views linked to homophobia, anti-Semitism, racism amongst other things. I'd mention Islamophobia but using that word here is just another headache (and I don't think that it's an accurate term anyway).

Caporegime
Yes, you're right. My excuse is that I was using one hand at that point while on the phone.

But yes it was mock disbelief that someone would want a nationalist political party that has views linked to homophobia, anti-Semitism, racism amongst other things. I'd mention Islamophobia but using that word here is just another headache (and I don't think that it's an accurate term anyway).
I’ve already said there’s a lot of policies I disagree with, but at the end of the day, no political party deserves to be beaten into submission.

What makes me laugh is that story is hidden away right down the page on the BBC site, but their giant headline is Anna Soubry and more on the outrage because a few people shouted nasty words at her.

Caporegime
The BBC news site is UK focused.

Why would they prioritise an attack on a German MP? It's clearly on the front page as I can see the link to the story, It's not "hidden away"

Soldato
OP

I consider that a much more interesting response.

One thing I'd say is that I don't expect AfD to ever gain power. However, their recent wins DOES put pressure on the main parties to acknowledge and respond to the widespread disagreement amongst German people with their policies. This I think IS a positive. Germany's PR system forces the government to consider their position and I think regardless of whether there are some reprehensible supporters (which all parties have), this can be a positive course-correction for Germany.

As a side, I'd also observe that the recent sharp rise in anti-Semitism in Germany is generally attributed to the increase in Islamic immigration to that country.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I’ve already said there’s a lot of policies I disagree with, but at the end of the day, no political party deserves to be beaten into submission.

What makes me laugh is that story is hidden away right down the page on the BBC site, but their giant headline is Anna Soubry and more on the outrage because a few people shouted nasty words at her.

Fair enough, which policies do you agree with?

I agree with your political party point but to be fair how our politicians are treated, and how police handle abuse at them, is more important than a foreign politician with some allegedly controversial views (but our MPs should be able to handle a few 'upsetting words' yelled at them in any case) .

Permabanned
A shocking and cowardly attack that could so easily have been fatal and thus murder. Sad but unsurprised to see such flippancy as "I blame the Russians", a very different contribution by that poster to when Jo Cox was murdered and one that is extremely telling of his innate and inane bias even when a life is nearly taken in an unprovoked assault, dependent on the political persuasion of those brutalised.

I see the police have been told to take action where they see or hear illegal action or verbiage around Parliament, which is somewhat risible given that is what they are paid to do on a daily basis... Yesterday's outside broadcasts sounded like they were from inside a rowdy football stadium, not outside the gates of the seat of democracy.

Back
Top Bottom