£90 for emptying pumping petrol out a deisel car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Petrol in a modern deisel engine tends to burn out the injectors and damage the fuel pump. That is the reason you are told not to even start the engine as it doesnt take very long to happen.

Soldato
£90 for emptying pumping petrol out a diesel car

Is that reasonable she put £10 of petrol in :D

Why did you even bother? I put £20 of petrol into an empty SDV6 Discovery last year. Face palmed and topped up the rest of the tank with Diesel and then topped up every time it got half way down until I'd covered about 2000 miles. Never skipped a beat.

All the people so far saying it will "OMGSCREWAMODERNDIESEL" have either never done it, or just don't really know very much :D

Soldato
no problem with doing this (petrol in a diesel) Keeps things lubricrated in a nice fashion especially during the winter months. Its the other way around you really do not want to try :(

Incorrect. Diesel is a lubricant, petrol is a solvent. Diesel in a petrol is fine, and keeps things lubricated. Petrol in a Diesel is worse, but you can still manage it sensibly.

Associate
I would just go back in the shop and buy a bottle of 2 stroke oil and add 1/4 a litre and top up with diesel if not full. It's not the petrol that causes the damage, rather the 'dryness', lack of lubricity, and lack of cooling effect in the high pressure pump.

Soldato
Why did you even bother? I put £20 of petrol into an empty SDV6 Discovery last year. Face palmed and topped up the rest of the tank with Diesel and then topped up every time it got half way down until I'd covered about 2000 miles. Never skipped a beat.

All the people so far saying it will "OMGSCREWAMODERNDIESEL" have either never done it, or just don't really know very much :D

Holy Thread Necro Batman! 13 years?

Permabanned
Id love someone to produce some analysis/photos of the damage to the injector and HP pump with petrol in a diesel.

Having rebuilt injectors and HP pumps before, I am struggling to see how the OMGDAMAGE!!1111 can occur in literally seconds if there is a mix of diesel in the tank as well as petrol.

Sure, I appreciate running on neat petrol will knacker it all, but I would love to know how long it takes, and see PICTURES of what petrol does to the HP pump surfaces and injector surfaces over X amount of time.

I even saw a video on Youtube, where some guy was saying to replace all the flipping FUEL lines, literally EVERYTHING, due to "gasoline contamination" lol.

I cant see how a bit of petrol residue would do anything at all as it mixes with diesel.

Lol, the guy in the cap is a pure embarassment, talks about metal particles in the fuel pump, then goes on to say it was because of HIM cutting it apart, ROLLEYES!!

Replacing the low pressure pumps too... what is different about a diesel in-tank pump compared to a petrol?! Perhaps there is a radical difference, but for low pressure I cannot imagine how a petrol in tank pump can be so wildly different from pumping diesel.

So much heresay and myth, it is insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom