How the hell do Currys stay in business?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Nothing wrong with Curry's. Not everyone who works there will be an expert in IT tech, just like not everyone working in Superdrug would know about women's sanitary products. They need to sell products so do what they can. With more and more people using the internet now days I guess it'll be easier to look around/do some research beforehand so you don't end up being advised to buy the wrong product.

Sometimes they do good offers on kitchen appliances etc, and I did manage to get the occulus rift with touch controls for £330 a while back.

Caporegime
OP
I think you need to re-adjust your expectations.

Their overheads are higher than an online seller. They don't give away retail park premises for free that magically staff themselve with experts. If they sell stuff at insufficient margin, they'll do an HMV. That DSG have lasted this long is a miracle, and also why they're staffed lightly during the week. When I worked for a related company 20 years ago the main profit earners were accessories, extended warranties and the finance packages. Even then they made next to no margin on the actual products, and in those days Amazon were a small operation selling a few books.

If you're expecting a sales led organisation to staff a retail shop with staff that have an encyclopaedic technical knowledge of everything from dishwashers to TVs and every modern gadgets for while paying near minimum wage you've got thing coming.

As I said, I'm not expecting someone to tell me the fine details, but not knowing the difference between things like 720p and 1080p isn't acceptable, regardless of overheads. Otherwise they may as well adopt an Argos business model, right? What's the point in having the staff there? To serve customers. Which they don't. And when they do, they haven't a clue what they're talking about. Just boggles my mind.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Because you can get the item there and then, that is indeed the answer. Same with most retail shops.

For example a few months ago my girlfriend stayed the night at mine, and left her USB-C charger cable for her phone in my room. She went straight to work, and after was going home. I had work too later so couldn't drop it off. It was the only USB-C cable she has. I ordered one at Argos for her to pick up after she finished work so she could charge her phone that night. Cost me £10 when I could order the same thing for £3 or less online, but wouldn't get it same day. Convenience is the only reason they are still operating. Would never use Currys/Argos etc normally, and haven't for at least 10 years.

Soldato
As I said, I'm not expecting someone to tell me the fine details, but not knowing the difference between things like 720p and 1080p isn't acceptable, regardless of overheads. Otherwise they may as well adopt an Argos business model, right? What's the point in having the staff there? To serve customers. Which they don't. And when they do, they haven't a clue what they're talking about. Just boggles my mind.

To be fair, there are representatives in the store trained by Apple / Samsung / etc that can better help you in certain products. The rest of the staff are there purely as people to put stuff through the till and help you out with the basics.

If you think someone on minimal wage should be a tech genius, then I think you are expecting quite a lot. I am sure if you ask any Currys member of staff what the difference is between the resolutions you would at least be told that 1080p looks better. For the normal consumer, this is a good response for someone who doesn't know the basics.

Also, if they made it an Argos like business model, it would be the final nail in the coffin. On a boxing day sale £400 ish laptop, they make around £20 (if that). They sell you Norton (or whatever it is these days) for half price at £30 which is pure profit. If they sell you Office + Norton (or whatever the combo is now) they will make about £70 profit. Try and do that on the till when someone brings them a laptop box to purchase in nearly impossible.

Soldato
Even if you know what you're talking about, they're useful when you need something there and then or the inconvenience of getting something delivered offsets the saving online.

My missus also bought a Shark vacuum from there which she uses in her shop so it gets a hammering. It's broken 3 times in a year or so, she just pops in on the way home and they swap it for a new one with new warranty there and then.

Soldato

It's Currys, not Super-Fi or Richer Sounds. There's a reason why DSG had three brands originally. In order to survive as a retail presence they've had to alamgamate them back into just one entity to reduce costs.

Ever considered you just had a bad experience? DSG mystery shop regularly, anyone flunking gets the help required. I'd be prepared to bet if you'd gone in on the weekend, they'd be staffed up with better trained staff, and they'll have reps from the big companies in who are subject matter experts. We used to do more trade over 16 hours at a weekend than the other 5 of the week...

They're by no means perfect and I hated some of the corporate culture, but I feel some balance is needed in this thread. They're not bad people.

Soldato
They never have stock of most of the items they have on display. When you go to a store like that you want to be able to take the item home there and then. Last two times I’ve gone there to buy something I’ve wasted my time.

Soldato
They never have stock of most of the items they have on display. When you go to a store like that you want to be able to take the item home there and then. Last two times I’ve gone there to buy something I’ve wasted my time.

Why not do the online stock checker, it would have saved you a visit

Man of Honour
The service is non-existent, to the point I've actually wondered if anyone works there at all.

I can't agree with this where I live, there's probably posts on here from the past where I've mentioned being hounded by Currys staff as soon as I walk through the door and it still happens. I always get ready with the "I'll come to you when I'm ready" line.
Agree with their lack of knowledge but there is an older woman in my local Currys who I have no problem talking to.
Over the years I've bought loads of stuff from there with a very small price difference to buying online so I prefer to pay the extra £10 and get it myself.

I think I was responsible for them taking down an HDMI/SCART display scam. My mate took it all the way to the CEO and threatened with Trading Standards but I spotted it.
It was supposed to be a cheap HDMI cable compared to an expensive HDMI cable and you could switch between them. I couldn't see up the back but I got my camera, got it into position and took a photo of an HDMI V SCART cable.

Soldato
My local one is small and it honestly like going back in time, the carpet looked way passed replacement time.

I went in a bigger PCW/Currys in Bristol looking for an 8 port switch for an emergency repair, no problem at all.

Soldato
opposite experience here,

2 macbook pros both of which are borked yet again (wonderful quality control thanks Apple) one on its 4th repair in 2 years other on its 3rd in 3 years. so needed a cheap cheerful laptop for work and quick

online reserved a cheap £400 hp laptop at the local store picked up 15 mins later no hassle no faff and in and out the store in 5 minutes

laptop itself is meh but the actual purchase experience simple and painless

Soldato
Their ebay outlet is worth an occasional look. Got my soundbar for over 60% off just as it had a slightly damaged box.

Their online store had the same lowest price on my Sony noise cancelling headphones as other online stores a while back too, plus they do click and collect so no waiting.

Stuff going in there for advice however.

Soldato
Rant time. I've been to Curry's many, many times over the last 13 years I've lived in the UK. It's always, and I mean always more expensive than I can find online, there and then on my phone. The service is non-existent, to the point I've actually wondered if anyone works there at all. On the very odd occasion I've actually had any service or witnessed their "experts" provide "service" to a customer, it's invariably obvious within seconds that they haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

This hasn't been a one off, this has been consistent, every single time, and when I say don't know what they're talking about, I mean trying to sell me an ADSL modem for a cable connection, or not knowing the difference between Full HD and HD ready (remember those days? heh). I'm not talking about enthusiast level stuff, but the basics, their bread & butter, they know none of it.

Yet there they are, on the high street, selling stuff. I saw a deal on HUKD today and wanted to pop in store to pick one up, walked around for about 15 minutes, nothing. Not a single person. Asked at customer service if anyone was available, was told someone would be with me. Another 10 minutes, nothing. Eventually I collared someone who was clearly dashing through the store in low-profile mode in the hope that nobody saw him, and asked him a few questions. Again, he knew nothing and was more interested in shaking me and buggering off.

I honestly don't know what I was thinking, expecting anything other than such crap service, but my optimism regularly fails me.

The only reason I can think of that this company makes any money is finance, or those who want their stuff right now dammit!

/whinge over

Ripping people off via the CarPhone Warehouse division is a good money maker.

I've previously worked for a major mobile provider and in speaking with some of the call-center staff, one of the main things that cropped up time after time was that CPW were selling contracts, both in-store and online (web-site/phone) and completely lying to the customer, then when the customer found out they would palm them off to the network even if legally it was CPW's issue, mostly to do with returns within the cooling off period or cancelling contracts due to CPW mis-leading the customer.

I remember one, CPW told the cust they could have an iphone 7 (at launch) on 20GB data plan for £29/month when the cheapest that was across any network was £60+. Of course they didn't find this out till the first bill arrived.

Soldato
it was similar last year when our washing machine borked. online ordered and picked up an hour later.

i have only 2 things i utterly despise in life PC world and Cher but for convenience they are spot on

Back
Top Bottom