New Toyota Supra formally announced

Associate
31726163507_a684c99542_o.jpg

46667902081_88c1415374_o.jpg

31726163517_6c16609e3f_z.jpg

Soldato
OP
It'll be interesting to see if they do an 'Aero' variant like on the 86 which will have a slightly different kit on it and the typical Toyota big wing.

I'm reading rumours of two specs of the 3.0l being mooted, one being road focused and another for the track, the track one having the 380bhp and the road one being the 340bhp version of the B58. I wonder if they'll do the 'track' one as the Gazoo Racing version. Either way it's not long until we find out, 5 more days. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It does look like they have used some of the aero from the gt86. Like the shape of the bonnet nose and the ridges which direct airflow towards the roof.

As for the 2 versions, I'm guessing the 340 one will easily be tuned to 380 :p

No option for a manual gearbox though, which is a big shame. Since most of the GT86s sold are manual you'd think they would. Apart from the exterior, it all seems a bit too BMW for my liking tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep I can see the Alpine been one of the most "FUN FACTOR" modern cars you can buy for your money, other than something more extreme like a Caterham, fantastic job by Alpine, not 100% on the looks, but it looks unique and I guess that was there goal and at 1100kg with mid-engine, 250+ horsepower it has got to be huge fun, I think my Clio is fun, well it is, but the Alpine will be on another level again. :)

Indeed. I'm coming to terms with the looks of the Alpine, but regardless, it certainly seems to be quite a special car. Also, even though the power to weight to fun ratio is bang on, the guys at Litchfield have one remapped to 300/300 and it handles it comfortably, that makes it even more interesting.

Soldato
I'd be too worried about an Alpine breaking (or combusting). Afterall it is French lol

It's a car people are going to buy and not use.

Soldato
I'd be too worried about an Alpine breaking (or combusting). Afterall it is French lol

It's a car people are going to buy and not use.

Quite the opposite, in my experience. Virtually everyone I know who's bought an Alpine has done nothing but drive it continuously. You can easily drive one every day – and I would, too, if I were in a position to buy one.

No qualms on the reliability front, either. Hell, not that reliability surveys are the be-all and end-all, but Renault placed higher than companies such as Porsche, Volvo, Audi, Mercedes and Nissan in the What Car? 2019 survey.

Soldato
I don't see what an Alpine offers over a GT86 really. Slightly more power for a whole load more cash, less reliability and a worse badge.

25% more power, 4.5seconds to 0-62, rear engined in a great chassis and lighter at 1100Kg. It's competing with the likes of a Cayman, so I don't really think we need to discuss the GT86.

Soldato
25% more power, rear engined in a great chassis and lighter at 1100Kg. It's competing with the likes of a Cayman, so I don't really think we need to discuss the GT86.

You beat me to it, The Alpine is another league ahead of the GT86, significantly faster, sounds much better, much nicer interior compared to the cheapy plastic look of the 86, have to wait and see about reliability but signs of rust earlier on in it's lifecycle is not a good look really for the 86.

Soldato
25% more power, 4.5seconds to 0-62, rear engined in a great chassis and lighter at 1100Kg. It's competing with the likes of a Cayman, so I don't really think we need to discuss the GT86.

You can stick a Cosworth supercharger in a GT86, forge the engine for 400hp+ and have a lot of cash to spare :D

As for rust, mine is 6 years old now and it still looks very clean on the underside.

Last edited:
Soldato
And then you lose the (perceived) reliability advantage. And the Alpine will still be lighter, and just as easy to tune with a turbocharger, I'd imagine.

Both cars share the same ethos of focusing on fun over numbers, but there's no denying the Alpine is technically the better car The only thing the GT86 can compete on is that it provides a manual gearbox and natural aspiration, but these are subjective elements.

Let's just hope that the existence of both means more manufacturers look to make cars like this in the future instead of endlessly upping power and weight.

Back
Top Bottom