Prisoners to be called 'men' and cells 'rooms' under new guidelines.

Soldato
You quoted a criminal about prisons in the UK and then criticize the effectiveness of the prison system in a country with one of the lowest re-offending rates.

I have no idea of whether it may increase crime or not. I do however see it as being a potential outcome - something you haven't obviously considered based upon your post of 'whats the worst that could happen?'

I considered and dismissed it. Given the thought behind the changes, i think it is well worth a go.

Caporegime
Soldato
See my edit above. Maybe they could learn a thing or two from us?

Yes, published national data varies by definition of reoffending rates. Depends how many years after you count, if we count 1 year but they count 5 the data would be off.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4472929/

Could learn a thing or two indeed :p

Edit: your data seems to disagree with mine. As much as id fancy playing data handbag pinball, i will stand by my point despite what your criminal quotes :p

Caporegime
Yes, published national data varies by definition of reoffending rates. Depends how many years after you count, if we count 1 year but they count 5 the data would be off.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4472929/

Could learn a thing or two indeed :p

Edit: your data seems to disagree with mine. As much as id fancy playing data handbag pinball, i will stand by my point despite what your criminal quotes :p

Ah ah! Not criminal. Former criminal. Now reformed as a result of our justice system!

Permabanned
If the fear of the consequences is great enough people do not do the risky act. Nick some fags from the old lady in the corner shop whilst her back's turned? No worry! Get that crate of fags someone has thrown into the tiger enclosure at Chester Zoo. You kidding me?

Burgle the deaf old chap who is alleged to have cash under the stair carpet? Hell, let's go lads. Burgle the drug dealer who is alleged to have bumped several rivals off and is tooled up 24 hours a day but has thousands in cash stacked away? Err, think we'll give that a swerve...

An old friend of mine went to teach in Greece. Within two weeks he had a visit from the local cops. Seems he'd come up on the radar for having a violent record in his youth in the UK. Was told don't even think of starting any funny business in Greece, if you go to prison you are less than an animal, fall ill inside and you probably come out in a box. Do something bad to a Greek woman or child? Almost certainly you also come out in a box. He had no intention of any of these things, he was in his forties, a rugby referee and now a pillar of the local community over here, but he swallowed hard and it gave him food for thought. His wife commented later that she felt 100% safe walking alone late at night in a less than swanky area of Greece. This was in the late eighties, pre the invasion of course...

Soldato
Already seems better than most student accommodation.

Prison is looking more and more like a comfortable retirement home if my pension ends up being ****. Free living, free food, TV, gym, priority medical care, let out for the weekend if your good...

Caporegime
If the fear of the consequences is great enough people do not do the risky act. Nick some fags from the old lady in the corner shop whilst her back's turned? No worry! Get that crate of fags someone has thrown into the tiger enclosure at Chester Zoo. You kidding me?

Burgle the deaf old chap who is alleged to have cash under the stair carpet? Hell, let's go lads. Burgle the drug dealer who is alleged to have bumped several rivals off and is tooled up 24 hours a day but has thousands in cash stacked away? Err, think we'll give that a swerve...

An old friend of mine went to teach in Greece. Within two weeks he had a visit from the local cops. Seems he'd come up on the radar for having a violent record in his youth in the UK. Was told don't even think of starting any funny business in Greece, if you go to prison you are less than an animal, fall ill inside and you probably come out in a box. Do something bad to a Greek woman or child? Almost certainly you also come out in a box. He had no intention of any of these things, he was in his forties, a rugby referee and now a pillar of the local community over here, but he swallowed hard and it gave him food for thought. His wife commented later that she felt 100% safe walking alone late at night in a less than swanky area of Greece. This was in the late eighties, pre the invasion of course...

Is Greece really a great example of a country that is successful because of those harsh rules, i imagine the answer is no. If you have money, you just pay the officers to get lost, much like Russian officers, it's not a game of justice.

Caporegime

Prison is looking more and more like a comfortable retirement home if my pension ends up being ****. Free living, free food, TV, gym, priority medical care, let out for the weekend if your good...

I'd never thought of it that way!

Caporegime

I've been saying for ages, the government won't pay anything to look after the homeless but if they go murder/rape someone or rob a bank it will spend £30k a year or so treating them with empathy and human rights in prison. Society is backwards.

Soldato
I've been saying for ages, the government won't pay anything to look after the homeless but if they go murder/rape someone or rob a bank it will spend £30k a year or so treating them with empathy and human rights in prison. Society is backwards.

The EU sets strict rules for how prisoners should be treated with "human rights". But gloss over homeless people.

The UK had to defy them even to stop prisoners from voting.

Soldato

Just claim you’re trans as you get sentenced and they’ll put you in a women’s prison so you’ll get free sex as well!

Back
Top Bottom