Captain Marvel (2019)

Soldato
I saw a YouTube vid about Marvel and Captain Marvel banging on about SJW PC correctness ( I know I know, I wouldn't have done it if it hadn't had the Captain Marvel tie in) and what for and given that I don't read the comics I don't know how true that is, but the individual went on to discuss Captain Marvel the character and suggested plausibly that the comics were doing badly because the modern re-interpretation just isn't very likeable or interesting. The argument being the super powers were a bit vanilla and the uniform was well a bit vanilla and the characters character was unlikable. Serious, no lightening with humour, a Marvel trait, generally un-engaging, then I think back to the trailer which shows all the levels of polish we expect from a modern superhero movie but the character conveys no likeability. I watched Wonder Woman and Gal Gadot was easy on the eye and acted well but the character was wrong constantly and not likeable enough and are they making the same mistake with Captain Marvel added to which a female superman isn't that entertaining it doesn't even work for actual Superman. I will watch this movie because of potential tie ins to Avengers 4 but I'm worried it will be a bit meh with SLJ stealing the scenes by having the engaging character. Which all seems a little unfair on Brie Larson who I thought was quite good in Scott Pilgrim.

Soldato
They are running the risk of going visual effects > characters/story, how they did with GotG 2 (just). I don't know how Larson can make such an exciting and deep character as Danvers/Marvel feel so bland. I hope she does better in the full movie. She should have as much charisma as Thor or Tony Stark. She should have an amazing presence, but it's not coming across in the trailers. .

Your know its mostly the actor that makes the character good not the director?

A crappy actor with a good director is much less likley to be good than a great actor with crappy director...

She most likley a crappy actor.. (director / script obviously make a difference but less so than actor)

Soldato
Yeah, I mean she only has the one Best Actress Oscar to her name.

It says to me she has the talent to act but either the director/script isn't letting her or she herself is holding back for an unknown reason or, alternatively, while she may be a great actor for a specific kind of movie, she can't make the leap required for a super-hero movie.

Whatever it is she's missing some kind of "X-Factor" which would make her version of an almost unknown super-hero (to the general public at least) compelling to watch. If it wasn't a "Marvel" movie would her performance from the trailers shown so far REALLY get the normal general public excited to see this film? I'd say No.

Soldato
Haven't been a fan of Brie Larson in the role since seeing the first few trailers but there is a new trailer that dropped yesterday that is actually showing her with a bit of personality. I can feel my opinion of her changing for the better and starting to look forward to this.

The last few Marvel films aside from Infinity War have imo been pretty mediocre...Ant Man 2, Black Panther, Ragnarok, Doctor Strange...they've lost the earlier charm and magic for me.

Caporegime
It says to me she has the talent to act but either the director/script isn't letting her or she herself is holding back for an unknown reason or, alternatively, while she may be a great actor for a specific kind of movie, she can't make the leap required for a super-hero movie.

Whatever it is she's missing some kind of "X-Factor" which would make her version of an almost unknown super-hero (to the general public at least) compelling to watch. If it wasn't a "Marvel" movie would her performance from the trailers shown so far REALLY get the normal general public excited to see this film? I'd say No.

In the previous male-led movies, I don't ever remember 100 posts discussing if the male was poorly cast or had the X-factor well before the movie had even been released though.

Soldato
In the previous male-led movies, I don't ever remember 100 posts discussing if the male was poorly cast or had the X-factor well before the movie had even been released though.

That's because they obviously had it in the trailers. I don't recall any white-knighting when any criticism of a male actor happened.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not white-knighting

It's saying how can you pre-judge an entire performance and have lots of back and forward discussion, based on a few short trailers?

Because you can judge what you're given. No one knows what the whole film is going to be, but you can certainly talk about the trailers we've got. As I've posted several times before in this thread.

Caporegime
Haven't been a fan of Brie Larson in the role since seeing the first few trailers but there is a new trailer that dropped yesterday that is actually showing her with a bit of personality. I can feel my opinion of her changing for the better and starting to look forward to this.

The last few Marvel films aside from Infinity War have imo been pretty mediocre
...Ant Man 2, Black Panther, Ragnarok, Doctor Strange...they've lost the earlier charm and magic for me.

Agreed.
I really like super heroine films.
But trailers of this dont do a lot for me.
Looks a bit 'bland' for lack of a better word. 'samey' also comes to mind with special effects used to increase the appeal.
But I felt the first batch of marvel films were MUCH better than anything recent. Only exception was last avengers.

Not sure if it's a symptom of too much too quick.
Deadpool 2 stands out as far less memorable than 1st.

At this point, I'll wait for bluray/download as not convinced by trailers its cinema worthy

Soldato

Because when you look at Iron-Man, Thor, Captain America etc the trailers were better as the "stars" came across as bigger than life "Super-Hero" types, which required those actors to have some kind of X-Factor to pull it off which they all did. The same is true of the Wonder Woman trailer which had to fight lots of negative "body image" issues yet was much better at showcasing the fantastic charisma of the "less technical ability than Brie Larson" Gal Gadot, hence my comment about some technically great actors who just can't cross-over to "Super-Hero" movies no matter what.

EDIT - Here's the first trailers from the 4 films I mentioned vs the Captain Marvel trailer - Just look at the ranges from each "star" vs Brie Larson's very restrained effort, it just doesn't seem to match the levels felt in those other trailers. I'm hoping that's for a storyline reason i.e. shes lost all emotion when she becomes Kree and regains her emotions when she spends time on Earth remembering who she is, or similar.

Wonder Woman

Iron Man

Thor

Captain America

Captain Marvel

Last edited:
Associate
I figure, as above, it might be her just off kilter coming to Earth and having memories popping up into her head of a past life she can't recall.

Man of Honour
Not even really bothered by the film itself or whether its any good, I've thought that Brie Larson is smoking hot ever since I saw her in Scott Pilgrim, so for me its the chance to oogle her in a tight catsuit for 2 hours :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The only i would comment about is Larson not being Tall enough :)

Other than looks fine to me, and you can never have enough of SLJ in a Marvell film EVER !! awesome to see Coulson back as well. Really looking forward to it.

p.s Its a sexy rasp, big difference to a rasp :)

Back
Top Bottom