LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
Now that Nvidia has announced the G-Sync Ultimate, does that mean that I could use 34GK950F with my GTX 1080 and have a working adaptive sync?

Associate
I think the box indicates up to a 3 degree swivel. Currently there's a 9-10mm difference in height between the far edges from the table for mine but that's what it takes to keep the monitor level (spirit level and visually checked). I can swivel it to about 2mm difference but then it's visibly crooked and uneven on the spirit level. My table isn't flat, even with the feet adjustments thank to the lovely floor in my study :rolleyes:.

Associate
Now that Nvidia has announced the G-Sync Ultimate, does that mean that I could use 34GK950F with my GTX 1080 and have a working adaptive sync?

I read on reddit that the base freesync range for the 950F is 120-140hz, and extended is 55-144hz but that drops srgb coverage a lot (one user reported 75% srgb). The 55-144hz should qualify as Gsync certified or whatever its called, but the 120-144hz won't. You can still enable VRR, but I doubt you will get a good experience.

This is assuming what I saw on reddit is true. Apparently the guy claimed to be talking to @Baddass on this forum about it.

Man of Honour
It was true but there is a very simple setting fix in the AMD control panel to sort out that dropped gamut issue when using the extended range. So it’s not an issue at all

Soldato
If VRR on the 'F' version will work with an Nvidia card come 15th January (and I assume it will), what reason would there be to buy the G-Sync version? Is there any advantage? It's already 24Hz less anyway, but it seems like the support for Freesync monitors by Nvidia now makes it somewhat redundant? Or are there inherent benefits to the G-Sync module (i.e hardware) that a software driver cannot compete with in the same way?

Going forwards, I wonder if we have seen the end of dual Freesync/G-Sync monitor releases like this... at least in respect to there being such a big price gap? The G-Sync tax was putting off enough people as it was, so if you can now spend less and get the same benefits, why would you pay more for G-Sync? Or am I missing something? :confused:

Caporegime
Or are there inherent benefits to the G-Sync module (i.e hardware) that a software driver cannot compete with in the same way?

Well, Freesync STILL doesn't work on my favourite game (The Division) and when you put circa 2.5k hours in it kinda matters :D

Gsync has always worked great on it for me :)

Man of Honour
If VRR on the 'F' version will work with an Nvidia card come 15th January (and I assume it will), what reason would there be to buy the G-Sync version? Is there any advantage? It's already 24Hz less anyway, but it seems like the support for Freesync monitors by Nvidia now makes it somewhat redundant? Or are there inherent benefits to the G-Sync module (i.e hardware) that a software driver cannot compete with in the same way?

Going forwards, I wonder if we have seen the end of dual Freesync/G-Sync monitor releases like this... at least in respect to there being such a big price gap? The G-Sync tax was putting off enough people as it was, so if you can now spend less and get the same benefits, why would you pay more for G-Sync? Or am I missing something? :confused:

well the G model will offer likely more reliable VRR as it's an end to end tested and certification experience using G-sync. You may be able to get VRR working on the F model using the new forthcoming NVIDIA drivers but performance and experience may be more limited and could be buggy. Given NVIDIA have not certified that screen as "G-sync compatible" implies it is maybe one that they tested which didn't work as well from an NVIDIA system. The G model also has a low lag because of the G-sync module keep in mind, but the F model would offer 24Hz extra and also a working sRGB emulation mode if you needed it

Soldato
well the G model will offer likely more reliable VRR as it's an end to end tested and certification experience using G-sync. You may be able to get VRR working on the F model using the new forthcoming NVIDIA drivers but performance and experience may be more limited and could be buggy. Given NVIDIA have not certified that screen as "G-sync compatible" implies it is maybe one that they tested which didn't work as well from an NVIDIA system. The G model also has a low lag because of the G-sync module keep in mind, but the F model would offer 24Hz extra and also a working sRGB emulation mode if you needed it

I guess we'll know more when the drivers drop and people try it on their 'un-certified' Freesync monitors. Will you be doing some testing yourself? I'm sure you'll be able to offer some valuable and helpful insight in to how well it works, not just on this monitor but in general.

Associate
Hi guys,

My first post on ocuk :)

I just bought the 34GK950G from ocuk. They were kind enough to send it to Denmark after a phone call - couldn't get transportation directly from the site.

I think I need to return/replace it though. I have a high degree of backlight bleed I would say, but a second opinion here would be nice. In the end I guess it's up to the eyes of the beholder, but I think it's too much to look at, especially at that price tag.

Also, I tried gaming a bit just to test how bad the lighting was, and as soon as the 120hz kicked in inside the game the monitor (likely the G-SYNC module) made a lot of continuous noise. Is that normal? With a headset on I guess you won't hear it, but in a quiet room it was very disturbing. Also probably not good for the hardware - it sounded like it had a hard time.

Edit: hmm I can't get the picture to load from the online services.. pasting a link now
https://pasteboard.co/HVwc95v.jpg

HVwc95v.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Deliveries of this monitor in Finland went from "Delivered in few weeks" to "We haven't heard a word from our supplier or LG about availability so delivery is TBA".

Feels bad man, LG having production issues?

Associate
Deliveries of this monitor in Finland went from "Delivered in few weeks" to "We haven't heard a word from our supplier or LG about availability so delivery is TBA".

Feels bad man, LG having production issues?

After being in touch with LG in late November and then asking shops like Verkkokauppa and Jimms to consider taking the monitor in their inventory, they seemed quite unsure about the actual time when they would actually get any in stock from the start- they did create the listing of the monitor in their online store, but I think that's all they really ever had.

I haven't heard that they could deliver in few weeks in that time - only that "maybe early 2019". I think that if you've heard the prediction "in few weeks" at first , that must have been exaggerated optimism from the vendors part. Or maybe they had couple units, I'm not sure...

I don't know what it is, but it seems in many countries this monitor is still quite rare.

On the bright side, we Finns have plenty of time to see whether the Freesync version if "Gsync compatibile" or not. :D:D:D

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys,

I just bought the 34GK950G from ocuk. They were kind enough to send it to Denmark after a phone call - couldn't get transportation directly from the site.

I think I need to return/replace it though. I have a high degree of backlight bleed I would say, but a second opinion here would be nice. In the end I guess it's up to the eyes of the beholder, but I think it's too much to look at, especially at that price tag.

Also, I tried gaming a bit just to test how bad the lighting was, and as soon as the 120hz kicked in inside the game the monitor (likely the G-SYNC module) made a lot of continuous noise. Is that normal? With a headset on I guess you won't hear it, but in a quiet room it was very disturbing. Also probably not good for the hardware - it sounded like it had a hard time.

Edit: hmm I can't get the picture to load from the online services.. pasting a link now

HVwc95v.jpg

Backlight bleed for all four corners of mine is similar to the top two corners of yours. But don’t notice it in game, and similar to what I had previously with an AW3418DW.

But in your pic bottom left corner does look pretty bad :(

Have mine set to 120hz (in nvidia control panel and monitor set to OC) and not noticed any noise from the monitor.

Associate
The G model also has a low lag because of the G-sync module keep in mind, but the F model would offer 24Hz extra and also a working sRGB emulation mode if you needed it

The sRGB mode is the selling point for me, if the 950F ends up working well enough with Nvidia GPUs. I have some other expenses I need to sort out first, so luckily I've got some time to see how this whole thing shakes out.

Associate
Backlight bleed for all four corners of mine is similar to the top two corners of yours. But don’t notice it in game, and similar to what I had previously with an AW3418DW.

But in your pic bottom left corner does look pretty bad :(

Have mine set to 120hz (in nvidia control panel and monitor set to OC) and not noticed any noise from the monitor.

Alright thanks, that's good to know.

The noise I think was a rookie mistake - it seems to be from my computer close by that never ran 120Hz and "ultra" graphic settings before. Think it might be coil whine from gfx or psu. I need to identify the exact source and see if I can find a solution.

H-P

H-P

Associate
Hi guys,

HVwc95v.jpg

Hi there,

I would advice you to take a picture from a little more distance to get a more realistic picture of the glow and backlight bleed. I'm in the same boat as you. I bought this monitor and I also have bleed and glow, especially in the lower left corner which is only visible on dark content and black (loading) screens. During gameplay it leaves a soft/brighter spot sometimes. It is more obvious because the glow is visible when looking from the right and seems to "start" from the lower left corner.

I must say that the bleed in other corners (lower right corner) on your monitor does look a bit much as well, but this is again highly dependent on the photo, lighting and brightness of the monitor. I'll try and post a picture of my monitor for comparison soon.

Associate
Hi there,

I would advice you to take a picture from a little more distance to get a more realistic picture of the glow and backlight bleed. I'm in the same boat as you. I bought this monitor and I also have bleed and glow, especially in the lower left corner which is only visible on dark content and black (loading) screens. During gameplay it leaves a soft/brighter spot sometimes. It is more obvious because the glow is visible when looking from the right and seems to "start" from the lower left corner.

I must say that the bleed in other corners (lower right corner) on your monitor does look a bit much as well, but this is again highly dependent on the photo, lighting and brightness of the monitor. I'll try and post a picture of my monitor for comparison soon.

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I think I can accept the other 3 corners, it is mainly the lower left one I have a hard time accepting.
The brightness have been on the standard 70. Not sure what's best, but I didn't go far with the calibration because of the glow/bleed taking my focus. I think you're right, it might actually be "IPS glow", but I'm not sure if it changes the situation so much. At least I have now heard examples of this monitor with and without the excessive light that I see in the lower left corner, so I guess it should be possible to get one without/with less.

And another picture for comparison could be great, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom