• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Battlefield V performance

Caporegime
:D:D:D

Remember now it’s a video game it’s not real
Exactly, it’s Battlefield which was never realism oriented in the first place.

Spitfires for example don’t rearm in the air in real life nor do they have 150 rounds....

If you want to see a Panzer V or Churchill / Tiger / whatever then World of Tanks is where you need to go.

If you want mindless running around fragging in WWII or WWI clothes then BF V or 1 and as you where.....

4790(non K) 16Gb RAM, 1080ti, 4K, runs beautifully for me, no complaints on that front whatsoever and it looks lovely.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is the DX12 API in this game is completely broken.

The difference in smoothness is very noticeable between DX11 and DX12 in this game.

I've been tempted to go on the DICE/BFV forums and ask them how on earth they expect to make money from this game when the headline feature (i.e RT) which relies on DX12 is so broken and utterly trash.

Lag spikes, hitching... you name it.

If they wanted to implement RT successfully they should have put engineering time in making DX12 the superior API.

They've had the development time of BF1 and BFV to sort this out. And yet DX12 in BFV is horrible.

Associate
When will DLSS be implemented into bf5? I know my cpu bottlenecks my card in bf5 but I cant play at all in dx12 with ray tracing on, the game plays for 3 mins then always crashes :( I hate dx12 at the moment, it seems terrible on my system.

Hopefully DLSS improves things when it finally gets implemented

Soldato
When will DLSS be implemented into bf5? I know my cpu bottlenecks my card in bf5 but I cant play at all in dx12 with ray tracing on, the game plays for 3 mins then always crashes :( I hate dx12 at the moment, it seems terrible on my system.

Hopefully DLSS improves things when it finally gets implemented
Not sure when but assuming fairly soon.
Surprised it crashes for you. Seem to remember reading about this recently on the forums (another forum member same problem?).
Using a 6700K DX12 with a 2080 I find works well but did seem a bit smoother on my other 1950X TR system (more cores). With RT the recommended CPU's are 8700K or higher or 2700X or higher. Using the 6700K I've seen no crashes at all.
Only thing I can recommend is reinstalling drivers and maybe use GeForce Experience to suggest the recommdended settings? You can always tweak from the baseline it suggests.

Associate
Will try ray tracing again soon, I had it set to 1080p,everything maxed with RT on medium, frames weren't great but never went below 50fps but still crashed on me, don't know why but dx12 even without ray tracing is a bit glitchy for me, its not too bad in game but in the menus it lags and stutters and takes LOADS longer to load into a game.

Soldato
For the best experience and this is the truth is turn DX12 off and turn DX11 on. Night and day difference in performance.

And that in a nut shell is the biggest disappointment. How can they expect RT to be successful when the DX12 API implementation it's based on is rubbish.

Associate
Think the reason it keeps crashing for me in dx12 with RT on is a ram issue, when I bring up task manager to close the game after it crashes I noticed theres a red box highlighting the memory!

Soldato
For the best experience and this is the truth is turn DX12 off and turn DX11 on. Night and day difference in performance.

And that in a nut shell is the biggest disappointment. How can they expect RT to be successful when the DX12 API implementation it's based on is rubbish.

Averages are up in dx12, it’s just the spikes. Hopefully nvidia will bung them some more cash to sort it out, seeing as it’s the only RTX game out right now.

Soldato
Think the reason it keeps crashing for me in dx12 with RT on is a ram issue, when I bring up task manager to close the game after it crashes I noticed theres a red box highlighting the memory!

I get crashes in dx12 too. Just figured it was the card working that bit harder. System RAM? I might look into this

Soldato
Averages are up in dx12, it’s just the spikes. Hopefully nvidia will bung them some more cash to sort it out, seeing as it’s the only RTX game out right now.

I don't think they can sort it out. I am not 100% but i heard it's the frostbite engine it self that does not play nicely with dx12. Battlefield 1 had the same issues with dx12. I was on my old setup back then so dx12 would give me higher fps due to the old I7 920 but the hitching was terrible. Luckily for me dx11 fps was still around 70 at Ultra settings so more than playable.

Soldato
I don't think they can sort it out. I am not 100% but i heard it's the frostbite engine it self that does not play nicely with dx12. Battlefield 1 had the same issues with dx12. I was on my old setup back then so dx12 would give me higher fps due to the old I7 920 but the hitching was terrible. Luckily for me dx11 fps was still around 70 at Ultra settings so more than playable.
It’s a shame cos bf4 and mantle was actually really good

Associate
I get crashes in dx12 too. Just figured it was the card working that bit harder. System RAM? I might look into this
Yeah im sure its system ram that's the trouble, im running 8gb but think you need a minimum of 16gb for RT in bf5, games just freezes on me at the moment and have to use task manager to close it, dosnt seem to matter what my fps is either, even if im getting above 50/60fps the game will still lock up under dx12 with RT on.

Dx12 without RT works fine for me when in game but the menu screens stutter and takes twice as long to load into a game

HRL

HRL

Soldato
BFV is the only game I’ve got that seems to tax the CPU and GPU at the same time at 4K.

Tweaked 2700X and 2080Ti, 16Gb 3200 CL14 RAM.

Runs fine but all the fans ramp up almost as soon as the menu screen pops up.

Not sure if DLSS will make a difference but I’ll play around with it once it’s patched and see.

It may be a graphical tour de force but the game hasn’t clicked for me like BF4 did.

Associate
What an idiot ive been lol no wonder I was getting such low fps in this game, I had memory restriction on, just turned it off and could play at 4k at over 60fps average with occasional dips down into the 50s with highs of 80fps.

Going to try ray tracing in dx12 again in a bit to see if it still crashes now, what a plonker lol

Back
Top Bottom