So, Why does the monitor I want, not exist?

Soldato
£200-£300 for the 22" 1080p OLED
£400-£500 for the 22" 2160p OLED

Where are you getting those figures from? The ProArt range is typically extortionate... albeit for generally good reason, they are targeted at consumers who require them for top end professional use.

Given the yield of OLED is FAR less than LCD (hence TV prices being relatively higher, although mass production helps mitigate that somewhat), it's not very likely we will see comparable prices in the far more niche PC monitor sector.

Permabanned
Where are you getting those figures from? The ProArt range is typically extortionate... albeit for generally good reason, they are targeted at consumers who require them for top end professional use.

Given the yield of OLED is FAR less than LCD (hence TV prices being relatively higher, although mass production helps mitigate that somewhat), it's not very likely we will see comparable prices in the far more niche PC monitor sector.

If the ProArt range by Asus is the only one getting them, maybe...

Soldato
I think 38" is the current biggest UW but even 38 could go bigger ;) I'm just guessing the next size up would be around 43" since 29" => 34" (ok there's 35 too but I'll bunch that with 34s) => 38" => 43" seems appropriate.

But it not existing is the entire point - the monitor I want doesn't exist :p

43" UW would be nice... but it would also be BIG. Maybe approaching too big. 43" 16:9 is ballpark 95cm wide. 38" UW is about 88cm. The PPI of 38" UW is near as damnit the same as 34" UW, at 110. My concern would be getting much larger and maintaining that PPI... things could start to look a tad soft. I know from my own experience with 32" 4K and the X34 (137 vs 109 PPI) that there is a noticeable difference there. PPI always going to be the determining factor for that sharpness/clarity. Go too big and things immediately start to soften. This is evident in 32" 1440p panels which are noticeably softer than 27" 1440p.

Soldato
If the ProArt range by Asus is the only one getting them, maybe...

That's all the article you linked states. If other manufacturers choose to use them, we shall see, but it comes back to the cost equation. The manufacturing cost alone is going to massive (partly due to yield issues as mentioned, always a problem with OLED). That's a big reason why we haven't seen OLED appear in monitors up until now. It actually makes sense that it could make an appearance in an extremely high end professional grade monitor that those kinds of people will pay a whopping premium for. Gaming monitors, far less so. A 1080p OLED is obviously going to be cheaper to produce, so has a certain degree of viability, but they will have to be extremely aggressive with that pricing if they hope to sell many. No doubt the response time and inky blacks will appeal to some though, regardless of its price and size.

Permabanned
That's all the article you linked states. If other manufacturers choose to use them, we shall see, but it comes back to the cost equation. The manufacturing cost alone is going to massive (partly due to yield issues as mentioned, always a problem with OLED). That's a big reason why we haven't seen OLED appear in monitors up until now. It actually makes sense that it could make an appearance in an extremely high end professional grade monitor that those kinds of people will pay a whopping premium for. Gaming monitors, far less so. A 1080p OLED is obviously going to be cheaper to produce, so has a certain degree of viability, but they will have to be extremely aggressive with that pricing if they hope to sell many. No doubt the response time and inky blacks will appeal to some though, regardless of its price and size.

You are right.

The Ultra HD variant ("4K") with 3,840 × 2,160 instead of 1,920 × 1,080 pixels is installed in Asus' Proart PQ22UC. According to JOLED the monitor "soon" to be delivered - for several thousand euros, the professional model, however, is not intended for PC players. A 27-inch panel with Ultra HD resolution is primarily intended for smart home applications, but should speak against the use of the model in a classic monitor - if a manufacturer considers it useful. Thirty-seven inches have become common among gaming displays in recent years.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Monit...-Ultra-HD-27-Zoll-Asus-Proart-PQ22UC-1272004/

Several thousand euros is what they say lol
For several thousand euros you can buy the 8K Dell 32" https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...18k/apd/210-alez/monitors-monitor-accessories

Soldato
"Thirty-seven inches have become common among gaming displays in recent years." - I don't know a single person running 37" monitor... Are they smoking crack?

Permabanned
"Thirty-seven inches have become common among gaming displays in recent years." - I don't know a single person running 37" monitor... Are they smoking crack?

That 37 is the Google Translate version of the original 27 Zoll in the last sentence. Which, I suppose, makes it more credible.

Caporegime
As far as VA panels go, it's very good. My only issue with it personally was the PPI. 1440p at 32" definitely looks softer than 1440p at 27"/34" UW. More so with typical Windows use, web browsing, text etc. You get used to it though, and obviously it's going to be more of a subjective thing. Regards the typical VA panel issues though, the 32GK850G does really well overall.

Have to agree with these sentiments having owned the LG and now an Acer XB271HU. The Acer is pretty much perfect in regards to a PPI/hz perspective imo, really is the pinnacle when you get a good one (which this is thankfully, no IPS glow!). Tried 4k/60hz Gsync recently and also the PQ was stunning their was just no way in Hell I could ever go back to 60hz. It was horrid :(

Personally I'd get a 27in and just pull it closer to my face (which I've done!!) :D

Soldato
Dangit, I wanted the same as the OP... although I would favour VA. I cannot abide backlight bleed at all, and if the manufacturer won't put a BLB-free guarantee on it, I'll happily sacrifice IPS on that altar.

QHD, no-BLB, good colours, 120hz+... not a big ask? HDR and FALD would be nice.

Caporegime
Hate having to move my head to look at the edges.

giphy.gif

Soldato
27” is too big for me. Hate having to move my head to look at the edges. Also running triple monitors so the side monitors would be even more of a pain.

You've been waiting YEARS?! Are you that restricted for space? You could just move it further away. Get a bigger desk! There's no need to suffer for years man!!! Heck, that's mad! It's quite likely such a monitor will never exist... there's no market for one because most people would do just as I said and move a 27" a bit further away if they found it too large.

Associate
You've been waiting YEARS?! Are you that restricted for space? You could just move it further away. Get a bigger desk! There's no need to suffer for years man!!! Heck, that's mad! It's quite likely such a monitor will never exist... there's no market for one because most people would do just as I said and move a 27" a bit further away if they found it too large.

Yep I've been waiting for about 4 years. I'm only now starting to give up hope on a 24" so I've been looking for new triple monitor mounts to support 27" screens which is harder than I thought it would be.

Soldato
For the 95% of the consumers who are cost-conscious that would be something sweet. For enthusiasts and forward-looking consumers there will be 21.6" at 2160p.
I might downgrade to 1080P for the higher frame rate and the superior image quality of OLED even if it's 21.6". I just want the price to be good and for it to have great HDR support and Freesync/Gsync compatible. It must also be high refresh rate (at least 144Hz).

Back
Top Bottom