New year, new phone, budget up to £225

Soldato
It's time for a new phone (Android) and there seems to be several phones to choose from, read some reviews online but I'm not really sure what I should be going for.

What I'm looking for is a phone with 64gb, decent(ish) camera and possibly NFC (but not essential) also don't really want a phone with a massive screen.

So far I've looked at the Mi A2 Lite, Nokia 8 & Moto G6.
Also looked at the Pocofone which is a little over current budget.

What are you suggestions?

Soldato
If you want something a little smaller than I've been banging the drum for the Mi A2 Lite on here. Besides the dodgy auto-brightness and lack of NFC I haven't found a flaw with it. Getting 3 days battery out of it. The Poco and G6 are bigger in comparison.

Soldato
Genuine question, why? I have it on my 2XL and have no complaints bar one or two minor niggles (and they really are minor and barely worth thinking about).

From the Nokia 8 thread:
I manually updated my Nokia 8 to android Pie and it's absolutely garbage. If I could go back in time, I'd rather place my gentlemanly vegetables in a blender than update.

Not buggy or slow but horribly designed. The new quick settings menu now lacks drop downs, if you want to change WiFi network you need to tap and hold to open the settings app. Connecting to a Bluetooth device requires holding to open the settings app and a further tap to open previously connected devices. They also replaced the strike though on WiFi and Bluetooth toggles for a different colour to show when they are disabled.

The notifications in the top left can only show a max of 2-3 notifications, anymore and it shows one less and a dot. There is no Bluetooth symbol in the top right unless you are connected to a Bluetooth device so you have no idea if Bluetooth is on. This is to avoid having anything appear in the top middle where you might have a notch. But we don't so it's just hiding information from us.

Finally there is the recent apps menu. Whoever designed this needs a slap for completely failing at making a functional menu. Open it and it shows the current app and a sliver of the next app. It only shows a maximum of 1 app and the slivers of the next apps. You also swipe horizontally rather than vertically which is far more uncomfortable and new apps clunk into place rather than scrolling smoothly. So to open anything but the last app requires swiping right multiple times until you get to it or a big swipe right then a swipe left cause you went past the app you want.

Here is an album of the changes I discussed: http://imgur.com/a/UDI7AOY

Now it's possible that the fish, lizard or sheep people might prefer the new designs. They arguably look cleaner or something. But Google has made these fairly massive changes without a single option for the user to decide whether they want them. Even which better text selection I will be looking into how to upgrade to Oreo.

Associate
From the Nokia 8 thread:

Yeah agreed on the quick settings (that was actually one of the minor niggles I have) - that does seem like a step back, agreed.

Notifications - well my 2XL displays 5 notifications - so not really a huge problem, but I see on the notched phones it is down to about 2 or 3 which is bad. I don't know if the N8 has a notch though... but that said on a non-notched phone I dont see the reason to limit it to 5 even.

Recent apps - well for me I can't see how its much worse in all honesty. I like the 5 recents at the bottom, the search bar is useful, you can copy and paste text from anywhere in any app using the overview (at least you can on the 2XL) and you only saw slivers of the top of the apps before anyway. The scrolling is fine for me. If anything its mostly an UPgrade rather than down to me.

New gestures are a bit rubbish but I stick with the 3 buttons anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily castrate yourself over these fella :)

Soldato
Yeah I think a lot of the changes are justifyable but for other phones. Nokia 8 doesn't have a notch but acts like it does so you get 2-3 notifications and then a blank space.

Recent apps just doesn't work on the Nokia 8 either. No search bar, no text copying, no recent apps at the bottom (those 5 are just the 5 at the bottom of the home screen).

I managed to downgrade to Oreo 8.1 December patch and have disabled updates for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom